Origin of quote about 'A Woman's Prerogative' ?

~~seadancer~~

Nov 6, 2009, 6:04:24 AM11/6/09
Where does the following quote come from?
"It's a women's prerogative to change her mind."
What is the original attribution?
Anybody know?
---Sea

Steven K. Robison

Nov 6, 2009, 8:24:25 AM11/6/09
A little bit of quick checking before leaving for work led me to:

"It is a woman's privilege to change her mind."

Source listed as Draxe, 1616 -- this was in Berman, Proverb Wit & Wisdom
(not sure what Draxe is -- obviously a book of some kind -- does anyone
know?)

Not exactly on point but may be helpful.
SKR

********

"~~seadancer~~" <seadan...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

bobgnome

Nov 6, 2009, 8:54:03 AM11/6/09

"~~seadancer~~" <seadan...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Sorry Sea, I have looked high and low but
cannot find an attribution for this. (I think you
made it up!) The closest I came was this entry
from the GUINNESS BOOK OF FEMALE WORLD
RECORDS:

Shop Dithering:

The longest time spent dithering in a shop was 12 days
between 21st August and 2nd September 1995 by Mrs. Sandra
Wilks (GB) in the Birmingham branch of Dorothy Perkins.
Entering the shop on a Saturday morning, Mrs. Wilks could
not choose between two near identical dresses which were
both in the sale.

After one hour, her husband, sitting on a chair by the
changing room with his head in his hands, told her to
buy both. Mrs. Wilks eventually bought one for 12.99,
only to return the next day and exchange it for the
other one. To date, she has yet to wear it. Mrs. Wilks
also holds the record for window shopping longevity,
when, starting September 12th 1995, she stood motionless
gazing at a pair of shoes in Clinkard's window in
Kidderminster for 3 weeks two days before eventually
going home.

k <wink>

Betty

Nov 6, 2009, 7:42:48 PM11/6/09
___________________________________

I was going to check this out, but then I thought, no, it will take too
much time, then I thought, yes, I feel I'd like to because Sea is a
loyal AQer. I pulled out a few books then I thought, no, I really should
spend the time watering my garden as a heat wave is expected. So, sorry
Sea, I don't know the origin but I suspect is is a fallacy any way!

Whim is the plural of woman.
~ Kathy Lette 1958-

btw I didn't end up watering..I baked a cake instead.

--
//Betty xx

Pics of AL
http://aussieladiesofaq.blogspot.com
_____________________________________

~~seadancer~~

Nov 7, 2009, 2:40:20 PM11/7/09
Thank you, Steven.
---Sea

"Steven K. Robison" <srob...@hsonline.net> wrote

>A little bit of quick checking before leaving for work led me to:
> "It is a woman's privilege to change her mind."
> Source listed as Draxe, 1616 -- this was in Berman, Proverb Wit & Wisdom
> (not sure what Draxe is -- obviously a book of some kind -- does anyone
> know?)
> Not exactly on point but may be helpful.
> SKR
>

> "~~seadancer~~" <seadan...@yahoo.com> wrote

~~seadancer~~

Nov 7, 2009, 2:51:14 PM11/7/09
"bobgnome" <bobg...@cox.net> wrote
> "~~seadancer~~" <seadan...@yahoo.com> wrote

LOL - Terrific follow-up, k.
Not being able to make a decision is a terrible state to be in.
And the word "dithering" is a great way to describe it.
ObQ:
=======================
Title of article:
"So Many Choices, So Little Time--
The Downside Of Having Limitless Options"
Feb. 26, 2006, by Sean Alfano
"People are really attracted to bountiful variety, but then
when they're in that store that has a lot they suffer as
they try to make decisions and they don't buy more..."
"The more you can go through life satisfied with good
enough, the less burdened you'll be by choice," he says.
"My own view is that there is no area in life, there is no
decision where it makes sense to look for the best.
I think good enough is always good enough."
-Professor Barry Schwartz, author of _The Paradox Of Choice_.
FOUND AT: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/25/sunday/main1346109.shtml
========================
---Sea

~~seadancer~~

Nov 7, 2009, 3:02:52 PM11/7/09
"bobgnome" <bobg...@cox.net> wrote
> "~~seadancer~~" wrote

>> Where does the following quote come from?
>> "It's a women's prerogative to change her mind."
>> What is the original attribution?
>> Anybody know?
>> ---Sea

> Sorry Sea, I have looked high and low but
> cannot find an attribution for this. (I think you

> made it up!) [...]

(g) k, I didn't make it up.
One of my junior high school teachers used to
say that all the time when she changed her mind
about something she had planned for us.
She had a very affected voice and perfectly coiffed red hair.
A strange person, now that I think back...
but as young kids, we didn't realize what a character
she was. We just thought she was normal. (g)
---Sea
ObQ:
"Reserving judgments is a matter of infinite hope."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald, _The Great Gatsby_
(I got that one from k's quotation website.)

~~seadancer~~

Nov 7, 2009, 3:26:20 PM11/7/09
"Betty" <BETT...@XCAPSbigpond.net.au> wrote

> ~~seadancer~~ wrote:
>> Where does the following quote come from?
>> "It's a women's prerogative to change her mind."
>> What is the original attribution?
>> Anybody know?
> ___________________________________
> I was going to check this out, but then I thought, no, it will take too
> much time, then I thought, yes, I feel I'd like to because Sea is a
> loyal AQer. I pulled out a few books then I thought, no, I really should
> spend the time watering my garden as a heat wave is expected. So, sorry
> Sea, I don't know the origin but I suspect is is a fallacy any way!
> Whim is the plural of woman.
> ~ Kathy Lette 1958-
>
> btw I didn't end up watering..I baked a cake instead.
> //Betty xx
> Pics of AL
> http://aussieladiesofaq.blogspot.com
> _____________________________________

LOL - Loved your post, "Betty"! (g)
BTW, no one is more loyal to AQ than all you Aussie Ladies! :)
Well - perhaps SteveMR200. :)
Of course, k always makes up in quality for his lack of quantity. :)
And how can we forget Kifer, Bruce, SKR, and all the others here.
Of course, Waterhouse always saves the day,
even if we seldom see him. :)
---Sea
ObQ:
"There is a destiny which makes us brothers
None goes his way alone;
All that we send into the lives of others,
Comes back into our own." -Edwin Markham

SteveMR200

Nov 8, 2009, 1:15:00 PM11/8/09
On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 00:42:48 GMT, Betty wrote in message:
<co3Jm.52745$ze1....@news-server.bigpond.net.au>:

>On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 06:04:24 -0500, ~~seadancer~~ wrote in message:
><hd0vs9$4tr$1...@news.datemas.de>:

>> Where does the following quote come from?
>> "It's a women's prerogative to change her mind."
>> What is the original attribution?
>> Anybody know?
>___________________________________
>
>I was going to check this out, but then I thought, no, it will take too
>much time, then I thought, yes, I feel I'd like to because Sea is a
>loyal AQer. I pulled out a few books then I thought, no, I really should
>spend the time watering my garden as a heat wave is expected. So, sorry

>Sea, I don't know the origin but I suspect it is a fallacy any way!

>Whim is the plural of woman.
>~ Kathy Lette 1958-

For most of her existence, Molly had not shied from
a truth that most people understood but diligently
suppressed: that every moment of every day,
depending on the faith we embrace, each of us
continues to live either by the merciful sufferance
of God or at the whim of blind chance and
indifferent nature.
--Dean Koontz (1945- )
_The Taking_ [2004], Chapter 2

--
Steve

bobgnome

Nov 9, 2009, 11:18:11 AM11/9/09

"~~seadancer~~" <seadan...@yahoo.com> wrote

[...]

> Of course, k always makes up in quality for his lack of quantity. :)

[...]

I'm sick of praise. I want money.
--Thomas Wolfe (1900-1938)
_Thomas Wolfe's Letters to His Mother_ [1943]

k <vbg>

Dora M

Nov 10, 2009, 5:42:46 AM11/10/09
bobgnome wrote:
>> Of course, k always makes up in quality for his lack of quantity. :)
> [...]

> I'm sick of praise. I want money.
> --Thomas Wolfe (1900-1938)
> _Thomas Wolfe's Letters to His Mother_ [1943]

____________________________________

I can live for two months on a good compliment.
~ Mark Twain 1835-1910, quoted in Albert Bigelow Paine 1861-1937, Twain

--
//Regards
Dora M.

bobgnome

Nov 10, 2009, 11:06:44 AM11/10/09

"Dora M" <DOR...@XCAPSbigpond.net.au> wrote in message

> bobgnome wrote:
>>> Of course, k always makes up in quality for his lack of quantity. :)
>> [...]
>
> > I'm sick of praise. I want money.
>> --Thomas Wolfe (1900-1938)
>> _Thomas Wolfe's Letters to His Mother_ [1943]
> ____________________________________
>
> I can live for two months on a good compliment.
> ~ Mark Twain 1835-1910, quoted in Albert Bigelow Paine 1861-1937, Twain
>
> --
> //Regards
> Dora M.

There is nothing you can say in answer to
a compliment. I have been complimented
myself a great many times, and they always
embarrass me - I always feel that they have
not said enough.
--Mark Twain
_Speeches_ [1923], "Fulton Day, Jamestown"

Juliet

Nov 11, 2009, 2:34:20 AM11/11/09
bobgnome wrote:

>>> [...]
>> > I'm sick of praise. I want money.
>>> --Thomas Wolfe (1900-1938)
>>> _Thomas Wolfe's Letters to His Mother_ [1943]
>> ____________________________________
>>
>> I can live for two months on a good compliment.
>> ~ Mark Twain 1835-1910, quoted in Albert Bigelow Paine 1861-1937, Twain
>>
>> --
>> //Regards
>> Dora M.

> There is nothing you can say in answer to
> a compliment. I have been complimented
> myself a great many times, and they always
> embarrass me - I always feel that they have
> not said enough.
> --Mark Twain
> _Speeches_ [1923], "Fulton Day, Jamestown"

Yet another WONDERFUL quote from the SUPERBLY erudite bobgnome. We are
in TOTAL awe!! Shall I go on....... <s>

Nay, do not think I flatter:
For what advancement may I hope from thee,
That no revenue hast but thy good spirits.
WS, Hamlet III.ii l. 61

--
//Juliet

bobgnome

Nov 11, 2009, 11:56:58 AM11/11/09

"Juliet" <JULI...@XCAPSbigpond.net.au> wrote in message

>>> ____________________________________
>>>
>>> I can live for two months on a good compliment.
>>> ~ Mark Twain 1835-1910, quoted in Albert Bigelow Paine 1861-1937, Twain
>>>
>>> --
>>> //Regards
>>> Dora M.

>> There is nothing you can say in answer to
>> a compliment. I have been complimented
>> myself a great many times, and they always
>> embarrass me - I always feel that they have
>> not said enough.
>> --Mark Twain
>> _Speeches_ [1923], "Fulton Day, Jamestown"
>
> Yet another WONDERFUL quote from the SUPERBLY erudite bobgnome. We are
> in TOTAL awe!! Shall I go on....... <s>

Yes. Why'd you stop so soon?

If you are flattering a woman, it pays to be a
little more subtle. You don't have to bother
with men, they believe any compliment
automatically.
--Alan Ayckbourn (1939- )
English dramatist.
_Round and Round the Garden_ [1975]

k :)

SteveMR200

Nov 11, 2009, 4:30:02 PM11/11/09
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 08:18:11 -0800, bobgnome wrote in message:
<8hXJm.2333$cd7....@newsfe04.iad>:

>On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 15:26:20 -0500, ~~seadancer~~ wrote in message:
><hd4l5v$r87$1...@news.datemas.de>:

>> Of course, k always makes up in quality for his lack of quantity. :)
>

> I'm sick of praise. I want money.
> --Thomas Wolfe (1900-1938)
> _Thomas Wolfe's Letters to His Mother_ [1943]

I should like to see the custom introduced of
readers who are pleased with a book sending the
author some small cash token: anything between
half-a-crown and a hundred pounds. . . .

Not more than a hundred pounds--that would be bad
for my character--not less than half-a-crown--that
would do no good to yours.
--Cyril Connolly (1903-1974)
_Enemies Of Promise_ [1938]

--
Steve

libreria

Nov 12, 2009, 4:26:05 AM11/12/09
SteveMR200 wrote:

>>> Of course, k always makes up in quality for his lack of quantity. :)
>> I'm sick of praise. I want money.
>> --Thomas Wolfe (1900-1938)
>> _Thomas Wolfe's Letters to His Mother_ [1943]

> I should like to see the custom introduced of
> readers who are pleased with a book sending the
> author some small cash token: anything between
> half-a-crown and a hundred pounds. . . .
>
> Not more than a hundred pounds--that would be bad
> for my character--not less than half-a-crown--that
> would do no good to yours.
> --Cyril Connolly (1903-1974)
> _Enemies Of Promise_ [1938]

Those who have to support themselves by their pen must depend on
literary drudgery, or at best on writings addressed to the multitude...
~ John Stuart Mill 1806-73, Autobiography (1873)

--
//libreria

Nora Mann

Nov 12, 2009, 4:27:33 AM11/12/09
bobgnome wrote:
>> Yet another WONDERFUL quote from the SUPERBLY erudite bobgnome. We are
>> in TOTAL awe!! Shall I go on....... <s>

> Yes. Why'd you stop so soon?
>
> If you are flattering a woman, it pays to be a
> little more subtle. You don't have to bother
> with men, they believe any compliment
> automatically.
> --Alan Ayckbourn (1939- )
> English dramatist.
> _Round and Round the Garden_ [1975]

Oh, bobgnome is such a ......MAN!

Whereas a woman's chief emotional need is active (i.e. to love), a man's
prime emotional need is passive (i.e. to be appreciated or admired).
~ Phyllis Schlafly 1924-

--
//Nora Mann

bobgnome

Nov 12, 2009, 11:55:12 AM11/12/09

"Nora Mann" <NOR...@XCAPSbigpond.net.au> wrote

.
> Whereas a woman's chief emotional need is active (i.e. to love), a man's
> prime emotional need is passive (i.e. to be appreciated or admired).
> ~ Phyllis Schlafly 1924-
>
> --
> //Nora Mann

The main difference between men and
women is that men are lunatics and
women are idiots.
--Rebecca West [Cecily Isabel Fairfiield]
(1892-1983)
Attributed in Abby Adams _An
Uncommon Scold_, p. 159 [1989].

SteveMR200

Nov 14, 2009, 11:15:00 AM11/14/09
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 09:27:33 GMT, Nora Mann wrote in message:
<9yQKm.54283$ze1....@news-server.bigpond.net.au>:

>Whereas a woman's chief emotional need is active (i.e. to love), a man's
>prime emotional need is passive (i.e. to be appreciated or admired).
>~ Phyllis Schlafly 1924-

The deepest principle in human nature is the craving
to be appreciated.
--William James (1842-1910)

--
Steve

srst...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2012, 9:21:54 PM11/1/12
Betty~ Hilarious!

gwa...@hotmail.ca

Oct 1, 2016, 10:16:01 PM10/1/16
It's from Old English law

gwa...@hotmail.ca

Oct 1, 2016, 10:20:35 PM10/1/16
Message has been deleted

dren...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2017, 3:01:13 PM3/1/17
From Wikipedia:
From at least medieval times until the early 20th century, a man's promise of engagement to marry a woman was considered, in many jurisdictions, a legally binding contract. If the man were to subsequently change his mind, he would be said to be in "breach" of this promise and subject to litigation for damages.

The converse of this was seldom true; the concept that "it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind" had at least some basis in law (though a woman might pay a high social price for exercising this privilege, as explained below)—and unless an actual dowry of money or property had changed hands, a man was only rarely able to recover in a "breach of promise" suit against a woman, were he even allowed to file one.

jeza...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2018, 3:24:39 AM9/30/18
"It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind" is a song lyric from After the Pain by Betty Wright. My mom used to say this to me all the time when I was a teenager.

amy.b...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2019, 2:02:34 AM2/20/19
Thank you Jeza, for what I believe is the correct answer. And here’s a beautiful recording of said song by Pearl Bailey