The difference between a paternalistic government, and a good one.

pyotr filipivich

Jun 1, 2023, 11:00:27 PM6/1/23
"But why didn't the Terran government stop us?" Ixnartray asked. "They
had to have known we'd get massacred. It's the government's job to
keep us safe."

"Because they aren't our parents," Ullmo'ok stated. When everyone
looked at him confused he gave the equivalent of a shrug. "I looked
at the Terran Confederacy legal code. I can sum it up for those of us
who grew up under the Unified Tyrants as one simple sentence."

Ullmo'ok took a long drink, waiting for the others to say something.

"What?" Ixnartray finally asked.

"Do as you will as long as you do no harm to others," Ullmo'ok said.
"If you dance in traffic and get killed the Terran government just
lists your cause of death as being stupid. If you play with a rock
cutter charge and chew on it and blow your head off, it is not the
fault of the charge maker, the mine, or even your parents, it is your
fault. There's protections for the mentally unstable or defective, for
some children, but by and large, the Terran government just doesn't
care. It doesn't pretend to care. It even lets you know it doesn't
care. It expects you to take care of yourself if you are able."

Posted by
u/Ralts_Bloodthorne
3 years ago (March, 2020)
First Contact - Part Forty-Seven
<https://www.reddit.com/r/HFY/comments/fgqpjj/first_contact_part_fortyseven/>
--
pyotr filipivich
"Have the Anarchists ever stopped to consider that if they bring