There is not a shred of evidence...

1 view

Frank Lynch

Jan 22, 2002, 11:14:56 PM1/22/02
While reading about Enron, and the shredding of evidence, this old
cliche occurred to me, and I was hoping to mix quotations for the
weekly FAQ posting, but I've been unsuccessful... (And did no one see
my 'filthy lucre' thread as a lead on Enron??? ugh.)

so, anyone have any good quotations about cover-ups? Non-Nixon lines
receive extra points, plus one year's free access to The Samuel
Johnson Sound Bite Page.

Obquote:
What, me worry?
-- Alfred E Newman

Frank Lynch
The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page is at:
http://www.samueljohnson.com/

Frank Lynch

Jan 22, 2002, 11:17:59 PM1/22/02
On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 04:14:56 GMT, Frank Lynch
<frank....@verizon.net> wrote:

>Obquote:
>What, me worry?
> -- Alfred E Newman

oh, as for HIM, http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5324/quotes.html

David C Kifer

Jan 23, 2002, 1:10:37 AM1/23/02
to Frank Lynch
Frank Lynch wrote:

> While reading about Enron, and the shredding of evidence, this old
> cliche occurred to me, and I was hoping to mix quotations for the
> weekly FAQ posting, but I've been unsuccessful... (And did no one see
> my 'filthy lucre' thread as a lead on Enron??? ugh.)
>
> so, anyone have any good quotations about cover-ups? Non-Nixon lines
> receive extra points, plus one year's free access to The Samuel
> Johnson Sound Bite Page.

Not quite what you're looking for:

Where ambition can cover its enterprises, even to the person himself,
under the appearance of principle, it is the most incurable and inflexible
of passions.
--David Hume

No one ever found wisdom without also being a fool. Writers, alas, have
to be fools in public, while the rest of the human race can cover its tracks.
-- Erica Jong

--
Dave
"Tam multi libri, tam breve tempus!"

Erica

Jan 23, 2002, 2:29:17 AM1/23/02

>> so, anyone have any good quotations about cover-ups?
______________________________

And if to be sure, sometimes you do need to conceal a fact with words, do
it in such a way as it does not become known, or, if it does become known,
that you have a ready and quick defence.
~ Machiavelli (1522)

Erica
________________________________

Robert M. Wilson

Jan 23, 2002, 2:14:57 AM1/23/02

"Frank Lynch" <frank....@verizon.net> wrote in message

> While reading about Enron, and the shredding of evidence, this old
> cliche occurred to me, and I was hoping to mix quotations for the
> weekly FAQ posting, but I've been unsuccessful... (And did no one see
> my 'filthy lucre' thread as a lead on Enron??? ugh.)
>
> so, anyone have any good quotations about cover-ups? Non-Nixon lines
> receive extra points, plus one year's free access to The Samuel
> Johnson Sound Bite Page.

He always has an alibi, and one or two to spare:
At whatever time the deed took place -
MACAVITY WASN'T THERE!
- T.S. Eliot

What--me attribute?

Jan 23, 2002, 9:13:14 AM1/23/02
In <8uds4u4imq15gl45ua3bahpi91f9sr7vol@4ax>, frank....@verizon.net wrote:

> Obquote:
> What, me worry?
> -- Alfred E Newman

This should be Alfred E. Neuman (1955- ). Sorry, I don't know what
the E. stands for.

-:-
Yes, as through this world I've wandered
I've seen lots of funny men;
Some will rob you with a six-gun,
And some with a fountain pen.

--Woody Guthrie, "Pretty Boy Floyd"
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
home: col...@mail.monmouth.com

Frank Lynch

Jan 23, 2002, 12:42:39 PM1/23/02
The Scripture moveth us in sundry places to acknowledge and confess
our manifold sins and wickedness; and that we should not dissemble nor
cloke them before the face of Almighty God our heavenly Father; but
confess them with an humble, lowly, penitent, and obedient heart.
-- The Book of Common Prayer: Morning Prayer - Sentences of the
Scriptures

I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!
-- Captain Louis Renault, in "Casablanca" (Murray Burnett, Joan
Alison, Julius Epstein, Philip Epstein, Howard Koch)

MACBETH: How now, yuo secret, black, and midnight hags! What is't
you do?
WITCHES: A deed without a name.
-- Shakespeare, Macbeth (IV-1)

Ben Trovato

Jan 23, 2002, 2:23:04 PM1/23/02
<frank....@verizon.net> wrote:

>While reading about Enron, and the shredding of evidence, this old
>cliche occurred to me, and I was hoping to mix quotations for the
>weekly FAQ posting, but I've been unsuccessful... (And did no one see
>my 'filthy lucre' thread as a lead on Enron??? ugh.)
>
>so, anyone have any good quotations about cover-ups? Non-Nixon lines
>receive extra points, plus one year's free access to The Samuel
>Johnson Sound Bite Page.

Fain would I hide what I fear to discover
--Robert Burns: "Where are the Joys I Have Met"

--
Ben Trovato
mailto:ruc...@umich.edu

Robert M. Wilson

Jan 23, 2002, 4:51:05 PM1/23/02

"What--me attribute?" <col...@monmouth.com> wrote in message

> In <8uds4u4imq15gl45ua3bahpi91f9sr7vol@4ax>, frank....@verizon.net
wrote:

> > Obquote:
> > What, me worry?
> > -- Alfred E Newman
>
> This should be Alfred E. Neuman (1955- ). Sorry, I don't know what
> the E. stands for.

According to the history of MAD magazine, *Completely Mad*, he appeared
under several different names until issue 29 when the name was associated
with the face. It was a joke name taken from Henry Morgan's radio show,
which was in turn taken from the Hollywood musical director, Alfred Newman.
I can't find any mention in the book of what the 'E' stands for, so I am
guessing it standes for the same thing as the 'S' in Harry S Truman.

ObQ.
Never hurry and never worry!
-- E. B. White, 'Charlotte's Web'

Daniel P. B. Smith

Jan 23, 2002, 8:42:58 PM1/23/02
In article <8uds4u4imq15gl45u...@4ax.com>,
Frank Lynch <frank....@verizon.net> wrote:

> so, anyone have any good quotations about cover-ups? Non-Nixon lines
> receive extra points, plus one year's free access to The Samuel
> Johnson Sound Bite Page.

Jeffrey Skilling, the chief executive of the Enron Corporation
(news/quote), stunned Wall Street today by announcing that he would
quit after just six months in the job, calling the move a "purely
personal decision...."

On a conference call, Mr. Skilling said he could not "stress enough
that this has nothing to do with Enron." He added that "the reasons
for leaving the business are personal, but I'd just as soon keep
that private...."

"Absolutely no accounting issue," Mr. Lay told analysts, "no trading
issue, no reserve issue, no previously unknown problem issues" are
behind the departure. There will be "no change in the performance or
outlook of the company going forward," he added.

He also said the company was on track to meet analysts' earnings
expectations, which are about $1.80 a share this year and $2.15 next
year.

--New York Times, Aug 15, 2001 "Enron's Chief Executive Quits
After Only 6 Months in Job"

--
Daniel P. B. Smith
Email address: dpbs...@world.std.com

Ben Trovato

Jan 25, 2002, 2:14:05 PM1/25/02

Does anyone recall a caricature the same as or or closely resembling
Alfred E Neuman in *Ballyhoo*, a magazine similar to *Mad* published
in the 1930s?

ObQuote
Whence and how entered these things into my memory? I know not how.
--St. Augustine: _Confessions_

SteveMR200

Jan 26, 2002, 5:00:10 PM1/26/02
<frank....@verizon.net> wrote:

>While reading about Enron, and the shredding of evidence, this old
>cliche occurred to me, and I was hoping to mix quotations for the
>weekly FAQ posting, but I've been unsuccessful... (And did no one see
>my 'filthy lucre' thread as a lead on Enron??? ugh.)
>
>so, anyone have any good quotations about cover-ups? Non-Nixon lines
>receive extra points, plus one year's free access to The Samuel
>Johnson Sound Bite Page.

There is nothing covered that will not be revealed,
and hidden that will not be known.
--The Bible, Matthew 10:26 NKJV

And for a cover-up of a different kind...

Pile the bodies high at Austerlitz and Waterloo,
Shovel them under and let me work;
I am the grass, I cover all.
--Carl Sandburg (1878-1967), _Grass_ [1918]

--
Steve

Neville X. Elliven

Jan 27, 2002, 7:20:49 PM1/27/02
"There are a lot of millionaires out there at all
levels, white and blue collar, who became millionaires
by investing in their own company's stocks."
-- Pat Cleary, National Association of Manufacturers

"Our performance has never been stronger,
our business model has never been more robust.
We have the finest organization in American business
today." -- Ken Lay, Chairman and Chief Executive,
Enron Corporation (14 Aug 2001 e-mail to employees)

SteveMR200

Jan 27, 2002, 7:51:49 PM1/27/02
On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 00:20:49 GMT, moC.m...@NoSpam.Com
(Neville X. Elliven) wrote:

>"Our performance has never been stronger,
> our business model has never been more robust.
> We have the finest organization in American business
> today." -- Ken Lay, Chairman and Chief Executive,
> Enron Corporation (14 Aug 2001 e-mail to employees)

And in my dismay I said, "All men are liars."
--The Bible, Psalm 116:11 NIV

--
Steve

Daniel P. B. Smith

Jan 27, 2002, 10:05:35 PM1/27/02
In article <a325ci$14p719$1...@ID-40161.news.dfncis.de>,

moC.m...@NoSpam.Com (Neville X. Elliven) wrote:

It's an ill wind that blows no good. I think there's going to be a
BUNCH of fine quotations coming out of the Enron scandal....

I realize that we have had a lot of smart people
looking at this and a lot of accountants incluing AA&Co
have blessed the accounting treatment. None of that
will protect Encron if these transactions are ever disclosed
in the bright light of day....

My concern is that the footnotes don't adequately explain
the transactions. If adquately explained, the investor would
know that the "Entities" described in the related party
footnote are thinly capitalized, the equity holders have no
skin in the game, and all the value in the entities comes
from the underlying value of the derivatives (unfortunately,
in this case, a big loss) AND Enron stock and N/P.

--Sherron Watkins to Kenneth Lay, August 2001

simon

Jan 29, 2002, 10:23:25 AM1/29/02
"Capitalitism is the legimate racket of the ruling class."
- Al Capone

"Never underestimate the effectiveness of a straight cash bribe." - Claude
Cockburn

"Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to
prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly success, and
are right." - H. L. Mencken (Minority Report, 1956)

Si

> Frank Lynch wrote:
...> > so, anyone have any good quotations about cover-ups? Non-Nixon lines

Frank Lynch

Jan 29, 2002, 10:38:34 AM1/29/02
We have first raised a dust and then complain we cannot see.
-- George Berkeley (1685-1753)

Nathanael Thompson

Jan 29, 2002, 11:22:03 AM1/29/02
In article <8uds4u4imq15gl45u...@4ax.com>, Frank Lynch wrote:

>so, anyone have any good quotations about cover-ups?

A "cover-up" at the U.S. Justice Department?
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/nm/20020129/od/statues_dc_1.html

"It was done for TV aesthetics. He did not know this was being done. The
attorney general has more important things to do than worry about what appears
in pictures."
--Barbara Comstock,
USDOJ spokesman

Fortuitous name.

-+-
Nate Thompson

"The fears of one class of men are not the measure of the rights of another."
--George Bancroft

The Sanity Inspector

Jan 29, 2002, 10:51:08 PM1/29/02
On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:23:25 -0000, "simon" <sita...@hotmail.com>
shared with usenet this thought:

>"Never underestimate the effectiveness of a straight cash bribe." - Claude
>Cockburn

IINM, this journalist spelled his first name with no 'e'.

Obquot:
Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.
-- ibid

--
bruce
The dignified don't even enter in the game.

SteveMR200

Feb 2, 2002, 3:00:10 PM2/2/02
<sita...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Never underestimate the effectiveness of a straight cash bribe."
> - Claude Cockburn

A feast is made for laughter, and wine makes life
merry, but money is the answer for everything.
--The Bible, Ecclesiastes 10:19 NIV

A bribe is a charm to the one who gives it; wherever
he turns, he succeeds.
--The Bible, Proverbs 17:8 NIV

A gift opens the way for the giver and ushers him
into the presence of the great.
--The Bible, Proverbs 18:16 NIV

--
Steve

Neville X. Elliven

Feb 2, 2002, 6:04:57 PM2/2/02
Nathanael Thompson wrote:

>A "cover-up" at the U.S. Justice Department?
>http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/nm/20020129/od/statues_dc_1.html
>
>"It was done for TV aesthetics. He did not know this was being done.
> The attorney general has more important things to do than worry about
> what appears in pictures."
>--Barbara Comstock,
>USDOJ spokesman
>
>Fortuitous name.

Hilariously so!

"Comstockery is the world's standing Joke at the
expense of the United States. It confirms the
deep-seated conviction of the Old World that America
is a provincial place, a second rate, country-town
civilization after all." -- George Bernard Shaw,
in a 1905 letter to the New York Times

SteveMR200

Feb 3, 2002, 9:30:11 AM2/3/02
On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:59:17 +1030, "Erica"
<ei...@chariot.net.au> wrote:

> And if to be sure, sometimes you do need to conceal a fact with words, do
>it in such a way as it does not become known, or, if it does become known,
>that you have a ready and quick defence.
> ~ Machiavelli (1522)

You don't tell deliberate lies, but sometimes you
have to be evasive.
--Margaret Thatcher (1925- )

Know the meaning of evasion. It is the prudent
man's way of keeping out of trouble; with the
gallantry of a witty remark he is able to extricate
himself from the most intricate of labyrinths. He
emerges gracefully from the bitterest encounter and
with a smile.
--Baltasar Gracian (1601-1658)

--
Steve