Woody Allen or Groucho Marx?

Tracy Ekstrand

Sep 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/4/96

Who said something like, "I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member"? Was it Woody Allen or Groucho Marx? Or who? If you can document it, so much the better, but let me know even if you can't document it. Thanks!

Ed Murphy

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."
-Groucho Marx

--
Ed Murphy (FDC DW) "A person who is 'of sound mind' is one who
zvy...@ix.netcom.com keeps the inner madman under lock and key."

Ellen Smith

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

Tracy Ekstrand <TEks...@vines.ColoState.EDU> wrote:

>>>Who said something like, "I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member"? Was it Woody Allen or Groucho Marx? Or who? If you can document it, so much the better, but let me know even if you can't document it. Thanks!

~please accept my resignation.I don't care to belong to any club that
will accept me as a member. -----Groucho Marx
~bartlett's quotations, 16th edition. page 693 about six sentences
down on the left.

Rebecca Wragg

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

Tracy Ekstrand wrote:

> Who said something like, "I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member"? Was it Woody Allen or Groucho Marx? Or who? If you can

I beleive it was Grouch Marx.

Laura J Valentine

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

It was Groucho. I believe that he'd just been told that a certain club
didn't admit Jewish people. I think you might want to look up the exact
phrasing, though.

--laura

-<+>- fie...@cmu.edu -=-=- http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~jacquez/ -<+>-
Cthulhu is the Patron Saint of Pittsburgh... -=- "Each of us, at some time in
our lives, turns to someone, a father, a brother, a God and asks, 'Why am I
here? What was I meant to be?'" --Spock -=- Alpha Phi Omega, Kappa Chapter.

Thomas Gorsky

Sep 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/7/96

Tracy Ekstrand <TEks...@vines.ColoState.EDU> wrote:

>Who said something like, "I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member"? Was it Woody Allen or Groucho Marx? Or who? If you can document it, so much the better, but let me know even if you can't document it. Thanks!

In "Nice Guys Finish Seventh" by Ralph Keynes, Groucho states in his
autobiography that he resigned from a group called the Delaney Club:
"Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club
that will accept me as a member." However his brother and son used
the more popular version, "I don't want to belong to any club that
would have me as a member."

I recall that Woody Allen quoted Groucho using this quotation in one
of his movies, but I can't recall which one. Perhaps Annie Hall.

Lee

Sep 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/9/96

In Annie Hall, Woody Allen makes reference to the Groucho quote. If I
remember the dialogue correctly, he indicates that his version, "I
wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as member," is a
paraphrase of the Groucho line.

Colin Douthwaite

Sep 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/10/96

Thomas Gorsky (rose...@istar.ca) wrote:
>Tracy Ekstrand <TEks...@vines.ColoState.EDU> wrote:

> In "Nice Guys Finish Seventh" by Ralph Keynes, Groucho states in his
> autobiography that he resigned from a group called the Delaney Club:

> "Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club

> that will accept me as a member."

> However his brother and son used the more popular version, "I

> don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."

Which raises the question...what is an authentic quotation ?

Bye,

aboy...@gmail.com

May 7, 2018, 1:05:16 PM5/7/18
Said MANY years before Woody Allen was born by the one and only GROUCHO!!! (born October 2, 1890 and named Julius Henry Marx)

dondoug...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2020, 2:37:54 PM4/20/20
NEITHER of them came up with this joke.

Woody Allen has said that he borrowed the line from Grouch Marx.

However, Groucho actually said in one of his autobiographies that he stole that line from Sigmund Freud!

I believe it comes from an example in his book: "Jokes and Their Relation to the Unconscious" published in 1905.

Who knew Freud had a sense of humor...

tvog...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2020, 11:17:42 AM6/20/20
Woody Allen quoted Groucho Marx in paraphrase. The answer is, They both said it.