What is the Flame of Oroladian?

William

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
In a song lyric the following occurs:
"Shot to the soul - the flame of Oroladian
(the) essence of the word
The state of independence"

Song details:
Title: State of Independence
Lyric by: Vangelis and Jon Anderson
On Warner Bros records
From album "Donna Summer" (K99163)

Does anyone know what the "flame of Oroladian" is, or something more
about it. The only Web reference I can find (apart from recursive
references to the actual lyric) is in a piece that appears to be
about legends of Atlantis at
http://www.fl-net.se/novell/noveller/atlantis.html .

However, this is in Swedish and, sadly, the only words I know in this
language are "Agnetha Faltskog". I have emailed the author of the
page (writing somewhat chauvinistically in English), but am yet to
hear anything.

--
William
(Header is no-bounce spam bin)

Annette L. & John E. Bruce

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
I've tried every search engine that I know of and can come up with no more
than you have. Maybe you will get results if you post to
alt.legends.atlantis, alt.legend.atlantis or alt.mythology. I am sorry that
I couldn't be of more help to you.

Annette

William <nos...@wavenet.co.uk> wrote in message

The National Folk Hero of the Net

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
In <GvrK3.282$aK.4...@newsr2.u-net.net>, nos...@wavenet.co.uk wrote:

> Does anyone know what the "flame of Oroladian" is, or something more
> about it. The only Web reference I can find (apart from recursive
> references to the actual lyric) is in a piece that appears to be
> about legends of Atlantis at
> http://www.fl-net.se/novell/noveller/atlantis.html .
>
> However, this is in Swedish . . .

I can make out a little Swedish, with the help of a German-Swedish
dictionary. The story is called "Atlantis Rising and . . . ", by
Linda Granqvist. Here is the earliest reference to Oroladian:

Hon fortsatte: He continued:
--Så har vi fyra oberoende So have we four wastes
till. Två av dessa har jag to. Two of them have I
försökt bearbeta, men dom tried to cultivate, but
vägrar säga hur dom kommer . . .
att rösta idag. Den tredje The third
har nästan säkert sagt att has the next surely said to
hon tänker rösta nej... ...nä, think it --- no ... nay,
svär inte, Erelas! Och nummer swear not, Erelas! And number
fyra har jag inte lyckats nå. four have I also had no luck with.
Men det värsta av allt, Erelas, But the worst of all, Erelas,
och nu får du inte svära, jag and now make you no oath, I
inte lyckats få tag i Oroladian. no luck get taking in Oroladian.
--Inte? --None?
. . .
--Försök på nytt, Loki! Gör --Try for need, Loki! Do
ditt bästa för att lokalisera the best for to locate
lady Oroladian, och övertala henne Lady Oroladian, and persuade her
att komma hit på det snaraste! to come here as fast as possible!

Later we learn that her first name is Ilaria (Hilaria?). I suspect
that Ms. Granqvist took the name from the song . . .

--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
home: col...@mail.monmouth.com

Robert Muhich

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
Received from this site:
http://www.allexperts.com/

The following answer:

Hello,
The only mention we find of 'flame of oroladian' is in the lyrics of a song
on Donna Summer's CD "Summer".
The speculation is that oroladian stems from OROLOGY, the science of
mountains , ORELIO, the steed of Don Roderick, the last of the Goths, known
for its speed and symmetry or ORELLANA the river AMazon, so called from
Orelana, lieutenant of Pizarro. Take your pick. Again, just etymological
speculation.
You also might try reaching Polygram, Summer's CD label Often these
references are arcane and very personal..
The best to you.
Carol P.

Hope this helps.

Rlm

William

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
The National Folk Hero of the Net wrote in message
<7tehg3$46c$1...@shell.monmouth.com>...

>I can make out a little Swedish, with the help of a German-Swedish
>dictionary. The story is called "Atlantis Rising and . . . ", by
>Linda Granqvist. Here is the earliest reference to Oroladian:

...snip (your most helpful translation)

Thank you very much for your painstaking work. I am most grateful.

William

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
Robert Muhich wrote in message ...

>Received from this site:
>http://www.allexperts.com/
>
>The following answer:

...snip very useful pointers.

Thank you very much for this. I have also bookmarked the above URL
for future reference.

William

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
I have now heard from Ms Granqvist, who tells me that:

"Oroladian was said to be one of the noble families in the lost
kingdom of Atlantis. Or it might have been a god. That's about
the only thing I know about that name"

What a pity he is not a Dutchman

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
In <p7IK3.546$n7....@newsfeed.slurp.net>, iam...@lcp2.net wrote:

> Received from this site: http://www.allexperts.com/
>
> The only mention we find of 'flame of oroladian' is in the lyrics of a song
> on Donna Summer's CD "Summer".
> The speculation is that oroladian stems from OROLOGY, the science of
> mountains , ORELIO, the steed of Don Roderick, the last of the Goths, known
> for its speed and symmetry or ORELLANA the river AMazon, so called from
> Orelana, lieutenant of Pizarro. Take your pick. Again, just etymological
> speculation.

I think we can assume it is Greek. Vangelis, one of the lyricists, is
Greek. Moreover, oro and ladi are both Greek roots--oro for mountain,
ladi for oil. Ladia in modern Greek means a growth of olives.

I have a feeling that if you go through Brentano's science-fiction
section looking for hack novels about Atlantis, you'll eventually
find one with the Flame of Oroladian.

-:-
The Duke emerged reluctantly from behind a statue of Zeus holding
an umbrella. "I was looking forward to a quiet evening of flogging
peasants."

"The peasants can wait, that's all," the Duchess replied. "Be
dressed by 7:30. And for heaven's sake try to control your temper
this time and not set fire to the Count's beard."

The Duke answered unrepentantly, "I had a royal gazebo and he
escrowed it."

--Len Cool, "Historical Perspective"

smoket...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2017, 4:03:46 PM4/22/17
On Tuesday, October 5, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, William wrote:
> In a song lyric the following occurs:
> "Shot to the soul - the flame of Oroladian
> (the) essence of the word
> The state of independence"
>
> Song details:
> Title: State of Independence
> Lyric by: Vangelis and Jon Anderson
> On Warner Bros records
> From album "Donna Summer" (K99163)
>
> Does anyone know what the "flame of Oroladian" is, or something more
> about it. The only Web reference I can find (apart from recursive
> references to the actual lyric) is in a piece that appears to be
> about legends of Atlantis at
> http://www.fl-net.se/novell/noveller/atlantis.html .
>
> However, this is in Swedish and, sadly, the only words I know in this
> language are "Agnetha Faltskog". I have emailed the author of the
> page (writing somewhat chauvinistically in English), but am yet to
> hear anything.
>
> --
> William
> (Header is no-bounce spam bin)

The proper spelling here may be important and it is"Oroladin"

patric...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2017, 6:49:46 AM12/5/17
Op dinsdag 5 oktober 1999 09:00:00 UTC+2 schreef William:
> In a song lyric the following occurs:
> "Shot to the soul - the flame of Oroladian
> (the) essence of the word
> The state of independence"
>
> Song details:
> Title: State of Independence
> Lyric by: Vangelis and Jon Anderson
> On Warner Bros records
> From album "Donna Summer" (K99163)
>
> Does anyone know what the "flame of Oroladian" is, or something more
> about it. The only Web reference I can find (apart from recursive
> references to the actual lyric) is in a piece that appears to be
> about legends of Atlantis at
> http://www.fl-net.se/novell/noveller/atlantis.html .
>
> However, this is in Swedish and, sadly, the only words I know in this
> language are "Agnetha Faltskog". I have emailed the author of the
> page (writing somewhat chauvinistically in English), but am yet to
> hear anything.
>
> --
> William
> (Header is no-bounce spam bin)

I just came across Col. Sicherman's reaction regarding 'Oroladian' in 1999, citing from an unknown source, the Swedish Linda Granqvist and a book 'Atlantic rising and...'

I'm so glad you put this reaction on the internet. Unfortunately so much knowledge is getting lost every day. But unfortunately there are no possibilities to trace down the book you have been referring to. I myself have started about a decade ago to discover the Jungian archetypal cosmos and recently Steiner's knowledge. Steiner opens the world of the Edda, which I started to explore. Intuitively I feel that the book you are referring to is a major work, a missing link.

Could you help me somehow to find a way to find this rich source and it's contents.

'Oroladia' seems to me to be a reference to something so essential. As Donna Summer sings in het song 'Shot to the soul the flame of Oroladian, the essence of the word, the state of independence'. This is really mysticism. 'In the beginning was the Word', says John. Indeed, Logos, the Word, had much more 'power' in the Atlantic period. What we meet here, is the essence of 'orar', to pray. It refers to the fact that the pure Word is far more magic than we can imagine, that a power lies hidden in it we are now unaware of. It's John who continues 'In the Word was the life and the life was the light for the people. The light shines in the darkness and the darkness didn't get grip on it...'

Orar is the knowledge (= the wisdom, the understanding and the know-how) to connect to this power of the 'Word' again. In Kabbala-terms it is Chokmah, Binah, Daath). Understood is also that 'Oro', gold, requires a 'catharic' purity in yourself and your soul in order to be able to re-connect, re-ligare to this beautiful lost capacity of the word.

Ladia, I trace by the meaning of the name 'Ladia'. It means 'You always bring to completion anything you start. You are generous but like to see returns from your giving. You have an executive ability, you are a leader. You are moral, balanced, honest and intellectual, and you may attain spirituality. You are wise and practical with an appreciation of beauty. You always think before you act.You are bold, independent, inquisitive and interested in research. You know what you want and why you want it.You desire to inspire and lead, to control other's affairs. You are giving, courageous and bold, action oriented,energetic and strong willed. You want to make a difference in the world, and this attitude often attracts you to cultural interests, politics, social issues, and the cultivation of your creative talents.'

The paragraph you have quoted from Linda Granqvist's book, is so strong. She refers to four capacities we as mankind have lost, but, what's worse, we've lost the 'Power of the word', the 'Sofia', a gnosis about the world and the universe. 'Erelas', in ancient Flemish 'Ay me', woe, that we have to suffer this lost. Loki, a deviant variant of Hermes, the lost knowledge of Hermes Trismogistos, is begged to restaure this. Unfortunately Loki is also the symbol of the thief and a mirror to our world, that thinks it can do as it likes with the Divine. Loki world, please, this is also the suffering of the 'Pistis Sofia', to be freed of the darkness of this world. Please, bring us back to Oroladia and bring Oroladia back to us.

I hope this reaction might still contribute something to your question.

Respectful,

Patrick

patric...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2017, 7:35:42 AM12/5/17

ubun...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2020, 11:53:39 PM1/22/20
I think 'the flame of Oraladian' in itself has no particular meaning. Think of it, not in terms of lyrics, but in terms of sound, chords, frequencies.

Keith Flippin

Oct 2, 2020, 8:01:18 PM10/2/20
The other lyricist, Jon Anderson, is known to occasionally make stuff up for vocal effect (witness "Shablamidi, shablamida" in the same song).

However, if we can take Col. Sicherman's Greek etymologies as authoritative, oro (mountain) + ladia (growth of olives) = Mount of Olives, which is the location of the Garden of Gethsemane.

Thus, it would be plausible if "Shot to the soul the flame of Oroladian" were a (mystical?) reference to the "Agony of Christ" in the Garden referenced in Mt 26:36, Mk 14:32, Jn 18:1, which also would be somewhat characteristic of Anderson's lyric style, particularly taken in combination with Vangelis' ethnic heritage.

That's no proof, of course, but a solid speculation I did not see elsewhere addressed.

SW Simpson

Aug 12, 2023, 2:58:09 PM8/12/23
Interview with Jon Anderson explains the meaning of State of Independence.
Songfacts: Absolutely. You also did "State of Independence," which Donna Summer ended up recording. There's some very interesting stuff in there. The chant, for instance, and then you have a line, "The Flame of Oroladian." Can you tell me about where those lines came from?
Anderson: Well, the concept of the song is the state of independence that we are growing into. And Oroladian was the sort of mythical person that opened the remembering gate. It's a poem by a famous English poet, The Remembering Gate. [The poem is called On Passing the New Menin Gate, and is by Siegfried Sassoon] We start to remember our truth, we start to remember our reality. So each line is very, very positive. It's a worldwide collection of each line. It was the idea that it's easier to discern truth and life as a game. It's not as complicated as we make it in the West.
The Caribbean sense of freedom derives from the meditative state. Meditation, something to do with the Caribbean, is African, very Ethiopian, essentially. The music from Ethiopia created reggae, calypso, all these kind of rhythms. Ska. It all comes from Ethiopia.
I was really aware in my head about all that, so I was trying to do this worldwide oneness again, and that's what the song is about. "State of Independence" is all about how the truth will come.
Songfacts: Where did the chant come from, the Shablamidi?
Anderson: That just popped up. Shablamidi, Shablamida. It just popped up and I sang it.
Songfacts: It's great to have that kind of thing come into your head. It's remarkable.

Anton van Straaten

Sep 5, 2023, 10:17:32 AM9/5/23
On Saturday, August 12, 2023 at 2:58:09 PM UTC-4, SW Simpson quoted Songfacts:

> Anderson: Well, the concept of the song is the state of independence that we are growing into. And Oroladian was the sort of mythical person that opened the remembering gate. It's a poem by a famous English poet, The Remembering Gate. [The poem is called On Passing the New Menin Gate, and is by Siegfried Sassoon]

The bracketed sentence appears to have been inserted by Songfacts (source: https://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/jon-anderson-of-yes ), but it seems very wrong. See the words to "On Passing the New Menin Gate" at e.g. https://war-poetry.livejournal.com/951742.html and https://allpoetry.com/On-Passing-The-New-Menin-Gate .

There's nothing about Oroladian in the poem, and it's not really the sort of language you'd expect to find in that poem about nameless war dead, nor does the theme fit with what Anderson described.