WHO SAID?: Today is a good day to die.

LisaKlob

Sep 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/29/96

I seem to recall that the quote "Today is a good day to die" was uttered
by a Native American leader--Red Cloud, Sitting Bull, Cochise, Crazy
Horse, perhaps?--during the Indian Wars of the 19th century. Or am I
totally off base? I would like to use this quote in a prose poem,
correctly attributed. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Rick Kennerly

Sep 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/29/96

I recall it associated with the Ghost Warriors of some last ditch plains
Indian movement. They'd already given themselves up for dead and therefore
used this phrase among themselves to boost morale.

John Davis

Sep 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/29/96

LisaKlob (lisa...@aol.com) wrote:
: I seem to recall that the quote "Today is a good day to die" was uttered

Crazy Horse at The Little Bighorn.

--
A_A No combat ready unit has ever passed inspection.
John Davis (o o)

david mchardy

Oct 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/1/96

In the movie "Little Big Man," the Indian Chief played by Chief Dan George said "Today is a good day to die!"

John Davis

Oct 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/1/96

david mchardy (mc-h...@direct.ca) wrote:

LOL Now that is interesting history.

KAUSMICK

Oct 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/2/96

It was Sitting Bull. And he wasn't at wits' ends yet... nor were his
warriors. However, with this attitude, they had one of their strongest
batttles of the year.

joyce said

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

I beleive this was said by the Prophet Mohamed as God told him death was
imminent

Message has been deleted

Sam Hobbs

Oct 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/4/96

joyce said <joy...@erols.com> writes:
> I beleive this was said by the Prophet Mohamed as God told him death was
> imminent

Although it is probably irrelevant to who said this first,
_A Good Day To Die_ is also the title of an adventure novel.

Lynn McDougal

Oct 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/5/96

That would be the first Klingon warrior when faced with a Borg. A.D.
Dirt, I believe.

--

.sigs and counters are for squids and hosers, eh?

Peter Dunfield

Oct 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/5/96

> Sam Hobbs <sa...@gdsassoc.com> writes:
> joyce said <joy...@erols.com> writes:
> > I beleive this was said by the Prophet Mohamed as God told him death was
> > imminent

It was also Crazy Horse's reply to a threatened attack by the Americans, but I'm afraid
I cant give you the reference.

____
As a child I understood how to give, I have forgotten this grace
since I have become civilised.
-Chief Luther Standing Bear
___

J. Scott Zielsdorf

Oct 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/5/96

.,*~~*,.,*~~*,.@ (jas...@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu) wrote:
: LisaKlob <lisa...@aol.com>, that darling, wrote:
: $ I seem to recall that the quote "Today is a good day to die" was uttered
: $ by a Native American leader--Red Cloud, Sitting Bull, Cochise, Crazy
: $ Horse, perhaps?--during the Indian Wars of the 19th century. Or am I
: $ totally off base? I would like to use this quote in a prose poem,
: $ correctly attributed. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
: $ Thanks.

: actually, the only place i remember hearing it was at the beginning of
: "flatliners"

: - j

Wasn't it Dustin Hoffman's Indian Chief Father in "Little Big Man"?

--
Scott (jays...@tyrell.net)
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam - Caritas Christi Urget Nos

ji

Oct 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/6/96

In article <530lm1$j...@test-sun.erols.com>, joyce said <joy...@erols.com> wrote:
>I beleive this was said by the Prophet Mohamed as God told him death was
>imminent

No, it was Worf from Star Trek TNG.

James Copeland

Oct 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/6/96

The movie *Little Big Man* circa 1970 used the phrase a couple of different
times, but I'll bet it older than that......

.,*~~*,.,*~~*,.@ <jas...@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu> wrote in article
<5315fr$2...@thor.cmp.ilstu.edu>...

Katrina Bowen

Oct 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/7/96

u...@df.dsf.com (ji) wrote:

I've heard it attributed to both Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull.

Katrina Bowen
kbo...@willowtree.com

Sam Hobbs

Oct 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/7/96

There are four novels and one non-fiction book listed in the
LOC Catalog with the title or sub-title "A Good Day To Die."

From these, it looks like the Native American source is a good bet
although there may be others also (One of the novels and the one
non-fiction appear to relate to the American west and the conflicts
with the American Indians).

*** fiction ***

Blackburn, Thomas Wakefield. A good day to die. New York, D. McKay Co.
[1967], PZ3.B5665 Go

Harrison, Jim, 1937-. A good day to die; a novel. New York, Simon and
Schuster [1973], PZ4.H3212 Go PS3558.A67 (Black humor)

Barton, Del, 1925-. A good day to die : a novel. Garden City, N.Y. :
Doubleday, 1980. PZ4.B29146 Go PS3552.A768 (Dakota Indians)

Solomita, Stephen. A good day to die. New York, NY : O. Penzler Books,
c1993. PS3569.O587 G66 1993 (Detective and mystery stories)

*** non-fiction ***

Hardorff, Richard G. Hokahey! A good day to die! : the Indian casualties
of the Custer fight. E83.876 .H3 1993 (Little Bighorn, Battle of the)

Barbara L. Evenson

Oct 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/7/96

> That would be the first Klingon warrior when faced with a Borg. A.D.
> Dirt, I believe.

I believe Sioux warriors used this saying before battles.

Moonchild

Oct 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/10/96

> > actually, the only place i remember hearing it was at the beginning of
> > "flatliners"
> >
> > - j

I just watched this movie last night, and there are a few more
times that is prase is uttered...one of which is in an Indian
language. Unfortunately, I can't remember what tribe.

Beth
--
((({{{<<<O>>>}}})))|((({{{<<<O>>>}}})))|((({{{<<<O>>>}}})))|((({{{<<<O>>>}}})))
Bethany Cecere

Morgan Lewis

Oct 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/10/96

This is undoubtedly one of those great undocumented quotes that one or
more people said, and everyone else repeated. It may even be just a
common phrase or proverb among certain peoples. At any rate, we
certainly seem to be getting enough different responses here.

Morgan

I T Git

Oct 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/14/96

On Sat, 5 Oct 1996, Lynn McDougal wrote:

> That would be the first Klingon warrior when faced with a Borg. A.D.
> Dirt, I believe.
>

> --
>
> .sigs and counters are for squids and hosers, eh?

Was it not also included in the film "Flatliners" ?

Git
"What then have I done ? What, except yield to a natural feeling,
inspired by beauty, sanctioned by virtue and kept at all times within
the bounds of respect. It's innocent expression prompted not by hope but
by trust."
Vicomte de Valmont -- Les Liaisons Dangereuses.
"If we deny love that is given to us, if we refuse to give love because
we fear pain or loss, then our lives will be empty, our loss greater."
Unknown.

M.Cox

Oct 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/17/96

In article <Pine.ULT.3.91.961014103610.12897H-100000@rowan>,
i...@coventry.ac.uk says...
>I am not sure if this has already been covered or not but the original
origin of the phrase, "It's a good day to die" comes from a Native
American war cry "Hoka hey!" The first recorded instance of this
statement was by Black Shawl, right before the battle of Little Big
Horn where custer was defeated.

David A. Lyons

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96

On 17 Oct 1996, M.Cox wrote:

> >On Sat, 5 Oct 1996, Lynn McDougal wrote:
> >
> >> That would be the first Klingon warrior when faced with a Borg.

> American war cry "Hoka hey!" The first recorded instance of this

> statement was by Black Shawl, right before the battle of Little Big Horn
> where custer was defeated.

Worf said, "It is a good day to die....and the day is not yet over".

David Lyons
http://g50mc.org/members/lyonsd
Fire the Liar: Clinton/Gone '96

ric...@acmesalesusa.com

Apr 12, 2017, 1:41:45 PM4/12/17
On Sunday, September 29, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, LisaKlob wrote:
> I seem to recall that the quote "Today is a good day to die" was uttered
> by a Native American leader--Red Cloud, Sitting Bull, Cochise, Crazy
> Horse, perhaps?--during the Indian Wars of the 19th century. Or am I
> totally off base? I would like to use this quote in a prose poem,
> correctly attributed. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks.

ric...@acmesalesusa.com

Apr 12, 2017, 1:41:58 PM4/12/17

David C Kifer

Apr 12, 2017, 5:32:59 PM4/12/17
Wiktionary mentions Crazy Horse at Little Big Horn, but also cites "the earliest published
reference, the 14 August 1881 edition of the Leavenworth Times, attributes it to the Oglala Lakota
chief Low Dog (c. 1846 – 1894)".
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/today_is_a_good_day_to_die

Crazy Horse was also Oglala Lakota, and Little Big Horn was Jun 25, 1876 – Jun 26, 1876, which makes
it five years earlier than the newspaper cited. If Crazy Horse actually said it, Low Dog no doubt
heard of it, may have been there to hear it directly. Or, as often happens, since Crazy Horse was
more famous, he eventually got the credit for it, just as Ben Franklin gets credit for so many
things he never said. Or Crazy Horse never said it, and Low Dog said it first
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Little_Bighorn

Since both men were Oglala Lakota, it might have been a Lakota Proverb.

I am personally going to credit it this way:

--often attributed to Oglala Lakota war chief Crazy Horse, at the Battle of Little Big Horn, Jun 25,
1876 – Jun 26, 1876 [Custer's Last Stand]. The earliest published reference, the 14 August 1881
edition of the Leavenworth Times, attributes it to the Oglala Lakota chief Low Dog (c. 1846 –
1894)". [Possibly a Lakota Proverb?]

--
Dave
"Tam multi libri, tam breve tempus!"

Clearlize

Apr 13, 2017, 2:59:59 PM4/13/17
On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 5:32:59 PM UTC-4, David C Kifer wrote:
[.....]
> Since both men were Oglala Lakota, it might have been a Lakota Proverb.
>
> I am personally going to credit it this way:
>
> --often attributed to Oglala Lakota war chief Crazy Horse, at the Battle of Little Big Horn, Jun 25,
> 1876 – Jun 26, 1876 [Custer's Last Stand]. The earliest published reference, the 14 August 1881
> edition of the Leavenworth Times, attributes it to the Oglala Lakota chief Low Dog (c. 1846 –
> 1894)". [Possibly a Lakota Proverb?]

I don't think it has the "literary feel" or sense of a proverb. Without a
specific context, it could imply that any day is a good day to die. Or
it could be directed at enemy combatants, like "Today is a good day for the
other bastards to die," as Gen. George S. Patton might have phrased it.
-- Ignar

David C Kifer

Apr 13, 2017, 4:40:42 PM4/13/17
You might have a point there, Ignar. I'll ponder on it, maybe remove that possibility.

ObQ:
Suum cuique. [Latin]
To each his own.
--Marcus Tullius Cicero , De Legibus I / De Natura Deorum III, 38

pyotr filipivich

Apr 13, 2017, 7:44:53 PM4/13/17
David C Kifer <dkifer...@newsgroup.com> on Thu, 13 Apr 2017
16:39:53 -0400 typed in alt.quotations the following:
>On 4/13/2017 2:59 PM, Clearlize wrote:
>> On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 5:32:59 PM UTC-4, David C Kifer wrote:
>> [.....]
>>> Since both men were Oglala Lakota, it might have been a Lakota Proverb.
>>>
>>> I am personally going to credit it this way:
>>>
>>> --often attributed to Oglala Lakota war chief Crazy Horse, at the Battle of Little Big Horn, Jun 25,
>>> 1876 – Jun 26, 1876 [Custer's Last Stand]. The earliest published reference, the 14 August 1881
>>> edition of the Leavenworth Times, attributes it to the Oglala Lakota chief Low Dog (c. 1846 –
>>> 1894)". [Possibly a Lakota Proverb?]
>>>

>> I don't think it has the "literary feel" or sense of a proverb. Without a
>> specific context, it could imply that any day is a good day to die. Or
>> it could be directed at enemy combatants, like "Today is a good day for the
>> other bastards to die," as Gen. George S. Patton might have phrased it.
>> -- Ignar
>
>You might have a point there, Ignar. I'll ponder on it, maybe remove that possibility.

There's a cheery little song titled "How many of them can we make
die?" on just such a theme. Not to forget "Men of Harlech" .

As an Irish priest I knew told me "Our wars are merry, but our
songs are sad."

--
pyotr filipivich

harpi...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2017, 11:32:19 AM10/6/17
The movie remake, Flatliners, 2017 cotains that quote. I believe the original does as well.

marthac...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2017, 2:12:15 AM11/27/17

douglo...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2018, 5:38:42 PM6/3/18
It's a phrase the war chief crazy horse used but it isn't the earliest use of the phrase though I believe that the others were just talking and not really using it as crazy horse was...

douglo...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2018, 5:43:10 PM6/3/18
In another anecdote face paint is the warriors alter ego and once painted he was on the path of death but when he removed the paint then he became the family man again and only the painted one took account for the deeds done as painted...if you ever wondered

douglo...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2018, 5:46:15 PM6/3/18
Okay well the earliest recorded use is 14 august 1881 levenworth times quoted the Lakota chief low dog...

m.j.g...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2018, 8:44:51 AM7/18/18
Public domain for publishing rights. Credits due are many men.

mosespa...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2020, 9:31:46 PM8/11/20
Yes that's the person thanks