Food quotes

Stephen Brereton

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Anybody got any good quotes about food and eating?

Here are a few I have.

There was an old person whose habits
induced him to feed upon rabbits;
when he'd eaten eighteen
he turned perfectly green
upon which he relinquished those habits
(Edward Lear, 1812 - 88)

An Irish toast:

May the hill rise behind you,
and may the mountain be always over the crest;
and may the God that you believe in
hold you in the palm of his hand.

"Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at
all." - Harriet Van Horne

or these two but I do not know who said them:

An accident happened to my brother Jim,
someone threw a tomato at him.
Tomatoes are juicy and do n't hurt the skin,
but this one was specially packed in a tin.

and (about tomato ketchup):

If you do not shake the bottle,
none'll come and then a lot'll

regards

Steve

The Sanity Inspector

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
"Most of those who make
collections of verse or
epigram are like men
eating cherries or oysters:
they choose out the
best at first, and
end by eating all."

Sébastien-Roch Nicolas de Chamfort

--
--bruce
"Out of the crooked timber of humanity, no straight thing was ever made."

Word Plays

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
>Subject: Food quotes
>From: "Stephen Brereton" <Twoh...@msn.com>
>Date: 8/25/98 6:54 AM Central Daylight Time

>Anybody got any good quotes about food and eating?
<P>
Let the stoics say what they please, we do not eat for the good of living, but
because the meat is savory and the appetite is keen.<br>
Ralph Waldo Emerson
<P>
Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you!<br>
Tommy Smothers
<P>
<P>
Julie<br>
http://members.aol.com/WordPlays/words.html<br>
*****<br>
"Every challenge we face can be solved by a dream."<br>
David Schwartz<br>
*****

Graham Weeks

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Stephen Brereton wrote:

> Anybody got any good quotes about food and eating?

There is no sincerer love than the love of food. George Bernard Shaw

A man seldom thinks with more earnestness of anything than he does of
his dinner.
Samuel Johnson

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless
there are three other people. Orson Welles

One of the most wonderful things about life is that we must regularly
stop what we are doing and devote our attention to eating.

Some people have a foolish way of not minding, or pretending not to
mind, what they eat. For my part, I mind my belly very studiously, and
very carefully; for I look upon it, that he who does not mind his belly,
will hardly mind anything else. Samuel Johnson (Boswell: Life of
Johnson)

There is more to eating grapefruit than meets the eye.

--

Graham J Weeks
http://www.weeks-g.dircon.co.uk/

Miguel Torres

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98

Stephen Brereton wrote in message ...

>Anybody got any good quotes about food and eating?

"Tell what you eat and I will tell you who you are."
--Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

"Cheese--milk's leap toward inmortality"
--Clifton Fadiman

"I do not like broccoli. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid
and my mother made me eat it. And I am President of the United States,
and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli ! "
--George Bush

"When a man's stomach is full it makes no difference whether he is
rich or poor"
--Euripides

Regards,

Miguel A. Torres
----
"Don't look at the man for what he is not. Look at him for what he is"
-- Unknown

Frank Lynch

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
"It has been a common saying of physicians in England, that a cucumber
should be well sliced, and dressed with pepper and vinegar, and then thrown
out, as good for nothing."
- Samuel Johnson (Boswell: Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides)

"It is not very easy to fix the principles upon which mankind have agreed
to eat some animals, and reject others; and as the principle is not
evident, it is not uniform. That which is selected as delicate in one
country, is by its neighbours abhorred as loathsome."
- Samuel Johnson: Journey to the Western Islands of Scotland

At the inn where we stopped he [Johnson] was exceedingly dissatisfied with
some roast mutton we had for dinner. ... He scolded the waiter, saying, "It
is as bad as bad can be: it is ill-fed, ill-killed, ll-kept, and
ill-drest."
- James Boswell: Life of Samuel Johnson

Frank Lynch
--
The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page is at:
http://www.samueljohnson.com/

Daniel P. B. Smith

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
>Stephen Brereton wrote:
>> Anybody got any good quotes about food and eating?

The following is said by the _character_ of Rabalais, in "Rabelais and
Censors," from C. E. S. Wood's _Heavenly Discourse_. Perhaps someone else
has a better one from the real Rabelais.

I challenge anyone to read this aloud from beginning to end without going
to the kitchen for a snack... if only I could have heard it read by the
late Bill Marlowe, whose famous local radio commercials for a restaurant
were the most greed-inspiring, almost lascivious things I've ever heard.

RABELAIS: Ha! Well, here in the equator of this great noble, royal table
are huge pasties, hot and cold; smoked bacon boiled with young cabbage
shoots, or nettle sprouts, or spinach, or whatever of the wilderness of
greens the lord of the feast has provided; and steaming, vast bowls of
tripes _en mode de Caen;_ calves' heads, pigs' feet; lambs' and beef
tongues; liver-puddings; dumplings; chitterlings; the sweet ink-fish;
smelts, sprats, shrimps, and all the tons of fine food the sea pours forth
to her nurslings, not forgetting her prolific, fluent arms, the lakes and
the rivers--pickerel, trout, and sturgeon, Ha! and caviare and what other
knickknacks, kickshaws, and thirst-producers, a good stomach may imagine.
Scattered about as _hors d'oeuvres_ are olives, pickled and smoked
herrings, roasted wheet and nuts, radishes, green onions, salted
anchovies, smoked salmon, pickled and spiced peaches and plums, and
peppers, pate of Strasbourg, and the whole, great, good burgher family of
sausages--

VOLTAIRE (Aside): There it is at least. I knew he couldn't forget his
sausages.

RABELAIS: Little summer sausages of Switzerland, and the portentous, great
sausages of Bologna--silver-gilt like a chamberlain's baton. _Eheu!_ And
kegs, casks, tuns of beer and ale--the light and the dark, the foamy new
full of the froth and violence of youth; and the quiet meditative old,
with spice of the raw hops, as ages is spiced with wisdom.
--
Daniel P. B. Smith
dpbs...@world.std.com

Ed C

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Stephen Brereton wrote:

> Anybody got any good quotes about food and eating?

Here's some:

Food is an important part of a balnced diet-Fran Lebowitz

Carnation milk is the best in the land;
Here I sit with a can in my hand-
No tits to pull, no hay to pitch,
You just punch a hole in the son of a bitch.-Anonymous

A cucumber should be well sliced, and dressed with pepper and vinegar,
and then thrown out, as good for nothing-Samuel Johnson

Ed :)

Dave Wright

Oct 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/11/98
It's lonely at the top, but the food is better. --Woody Allen

I am not a glutton -- I am an explorer of food. --Erma Bombeck

Life is a rollercoaster. Try to eat a light lunch. --David A. Schmaltz

Just as eating against one's will is injurious to health, so study without
a liking for it spoils the memory, and it retains nothing it takes in.
--Leonardo da Vinci

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat? --Unknown

You don't develop good teeth by eating mush. --Red Blaik

You are where you eat. --Pamela Fiori

A philosopher is a person who doesn't care which side his bread is buttered
on; he knows he eats both sides anyway. --Joyce Brothers

There are times when truth is stranger than fiction, and lunch time is one
of them. --Unknown

If a man prepares dinner for you and the salad contains three or more types
of lettuce, he is serious. --Rita Rudner

I got food poisoning today. I don't know when I'm going to use it.
--Steven Wright

I eat junk food to get it out of the house. --Unknown

Dr. Lecter shouldn't eat Freud foods. Especially liver and Jungians.
--:Dave Wright

I don't eat snails. I prefer fast food. --Unknown

Army food: the spoils of war. --Unknown

Be nice to people who handle your food. --Unknown

I hate a man who swallows [his food], affecting not to know what he is
eating. I suspect his taste in higher matters. --Charles Lamb

Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there
must be a beverage. --Woody Allen

Vegetarians eat vegetables -- I am a humanitarian. --Unknown

I take my pet lion to church every Sunday. He has to eat. --Marty Pollio

I always watch what I eat. I'm afraid of something getting away.
--Hagar, "Hagar the Horrible" strip by Chris Browne

Son, they say you can't have your cake and eat it, too... So, always get
two cakes! --Hagar, "Hagar the Horrible" strip by Chris Browne

Gyros should be eaten with the fingers... but preferably, fingers should be
eaten separately. --Kronos-Central gyros wrapper

Eat to live, and not live to eat. --Benjamin Franklin

The difference between a rich man and a poor man is this -- the former eats
when he pleases, and the latter when he can get it. --Sir Walter Raleigh

I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating
peanuts. --Orson Welles

I'm on a rotation diet. Every time I turn around, I eat. --Unknown

...and for my third and final wish, I want every fattening thing I eat to
show up on Jane Fonda's thighs.
--Woman to fairy godmother, Scott A. Masear cartoon

How can they say my life isn't a success? Have I not for more than sixty
years got enough to eat and escaped being eaten? --Logan Pearsall Smith

Use tasteful words. You may have to eat them later. --Unknown

Cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny. --Unknown

Never eat more than you can lift. --Miss Piggy

Call me insane one more time, and I'll eat your other eye. --Unknown

O.K. kids! What would you like for dinner? Hamburger Helper or substitute
teacher? --Cannibal mother, "The Quigmans" cartoon by Buddy Hickerson

Society is composed of two great classes -- those who have more dinners
than appetite, and those who have more appetite than dinners.
--Sebastien Chamfort

There are a lot of people who must have the table laid in the usual fashion
or they will not enjoy the dinner. --Christopher Morley

"Yuk!" "At least you don't have to worry where your next meal is coming
from." "I'm worried about where this one came from!"
--Prisoner and jailor, "Wizard of Id" strip by Johnny Hart, Brant Parker

--
=============[ :Dave Wright * Gentaur on FurryMUCK ]=============
» See (and be) amazing animals at the BESTIARIA Beastie Area! «

The Sanity Inspector

Oct 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/11/98
PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
--[a bumpersticker lampooning an American animal rights
organization]

--
bruce

He who says there is no such thing as an honest man, you may be sure is himself a knave.
--Bishop Berkeley

Frank Lynch

Oct 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/11/98
"A man seldom thinks with more earnestness of any thing than he does of his
dinner; and if he cannot get that well dressed, he should be suspected of
inaccuracy in other things."
- Samuel Johnson (Piozzi: Anecdotes of the Late Samuel Johnson)

Word Plays

Oct 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/11/98

Britain is the only country in the world where the food is more dangerous than
the sex.
Jackie Mason
The food in Yugoslavia is fine if you like pork tartare.
Ed Begley, Jr.

Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there
must be a beverage.
Woody Allen "Without Feathers"
A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch.
James A. Beard
Avoid fruits and nuts. You are what you eat.
Jim Davis (Garfield)
I prefer Hostess fruit pies to pop-up toaster tarts because they don't require
as much cooking.
Carrie Snow
My tongue is smiling.
Abigail Trillin
I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick, not wounded, dead.
Woody Allen
When one has tasted watermelon he knows what the angels eat.
Mark Twain
Animals are my friends...and I don't eat my friends.
George Bernard Shaw
Nothing more strongly arouses our disgust than cannibalism, yet we make the
same impression on Buddhists and vegetarians, for we feed on babies, though not
our own.
Robert Louis Stevenson
No diet will remove all the fat from your body because the brain is entirely
fat. Without a brain you might look good, but all you could do is run for
public office.
Covert Bailey

*****
Julie
http://members.aol.com/WordPlays/words.html

"There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds."
-- G.K. Chesterton

*****

MJConover7

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98

>Just as eating against one's will is injurious to health, so study without
> a liking for it spoils the memory, and it retains nothing it takes in.
> --Leonardo da Vinci

*Those who act under compulsion and unwillingly act with pain, but those who do
acts for their pleasantness or nobility do them with pleasure.
-Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics

>If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat? --Unknown

If God had intended for us to drink beer, he would have given us stomachs.
-David Daye

> I got food poisoning today. I don't know when I'm going to use it.
> --Steven Wright

I went to a restaraunt that serves 'Breakfast Any Time,' so I ordered French
Toast during the Renaissance.
-Steven Wright

> I don't eat snails. I prefer fast food. --Unknown

I never eat sushi. I have trouble eating things that are merely unconcious.
-George Carlin, Brain Droppings

---Michael
Esse quam videri.

Tom

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
Comic strip I once saw (Wizard of Id, I think):

Maitre d': Do you have reservations?
Customer: Yes, but when you are as hungry as I am, you throw caution
to the winds.

Tom Parsons
--
-- It is a mistake to exclaim over past
t...@panix.com | wrong-thinking before at least won-
| dering how our present thinking will
http://www.panix.com/~twp | seem to posterity. --Doris Lessing

The Sanity Inspector

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
t...@panix.com (Tom) shared with usenet this thought:

>Comic strip I once saw (Wizard of Id, I think):

Exactly right. Rodney and the King go into the restaurant;
the King delivers the punch line.

--
bruce

As falls Wichita, so falls Wichita Falls.
--Pat Metheny

ys...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
Quote me as saying that I was mis-quoted

-- Groucho Marx

Visit http://www.jokes2go.com for ten new quotes every day
and a database of more than 400 quotes

(it also got jokes and other kinds of humor) :)

He Comes As No Surprise

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
In <70amj5$i...@panix3.panix.com>, t...@panix.com wrote:
> Comic strip I once saw (Wizard of Id, I think):
>
> Maitre d': Do you have reservations?
> Customer: Yes, but when you are as hungry as I am, you throw caution
> to the winds.

Much older:

Customer: Do you serve crabs here?
Waiter: We serve anybody--have a seat.

-:-
"If it moves, eat it. If it doesn't move, salute it."

--Vogon proverb
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
home: col...@mail.monmouth.com

Margaret Tarbet

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98
In alt.quotations
on 21 Oct 1998 23:23:02 -0400,

col...@monmouth.com (He Comes As No Surprise) wrote:

>In <70amj5$i...@panix3.panix.com>, t...@panix.com wrote:
>> Comic strip I once saw (Wizard of Id, I think):
>>
>> Maitre d': Do you have reservations?
>> Customer: Yes, but when you are as hungry as I am, you throw caution
>> to the winds.
>
>Much older:
>
> Customer: Do you serve crabs here?
> Waiter: We serve anybody--have a seat.

Or...

'It had a sign in the window: "Lower lifeforms served
here - what'll you have"'
-- about a restaurant noticed by Hobart Floyt in the
late Brian Dailey's wonderful space-opera trilogy.

Marc B

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98
to tar...@swaa.com
Stuffy Woman to waiter: What would you recommend?
Waiter: Madam, we have excellent smoked tongue today.
SW: Are you suggesting that I would ever eat anything that had been in another animals mouth?
Waiter: My apologies, perhaps madam would prefer an egg?

--
Marc Buchalter
UC Berkeley

Angel "Muke" Rivera

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98
He Comes As No Surprise wrote:

> In <70amj5$i...@panix3.panix.com>, t...@panix.com wrote:
> > Comic strip I once saw (Wizard of Id, I think):
> >
> > Maitre d': Do you have reservations?
> > Customer: Yes, but when you are as hungry as I am, you throw
> > caution to the winds.
>
> Much older:
>
> Customer: Do you serve crabs here?
> Waiter: We serve anybody--have a seat.

Customer: You serve shrimps here, lady?
Waitress: Sure! It doesn't matter to us how short you are.

[seen on an episode of "Samurai Pizza Cats"]

--Muke!
--
Real stupidity always beats artificial intelligence.

ICQ:1936556 http://mc11a.southern.edu/ -Personal [non-C1/C2] homepage
http://welcome.to/alt.binaries.games.creatures -Visit the abgc archive!

Nita Drissel

Oct 25, 1998, 2:00:00 AM10/25/98
As a child during WWII, I heard of a brief soldier's manual:

If it moves, salute it.
If it doesn't move, pick it up.
If you can't pick it up, paint it>

Regards,
Bill Drissel, drissel AT usa DOT net

The Sanity Inspector

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
Vietnamese will make anything into soup, like Germans will
make anything into a sausage, and Americans will make anything into a
sandwich.
--P.J. O'Rourke

Frank Lynch

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
"I, Madam, who live at a variety of good tables, am a much better judge of
cookery, than any person who has a very tolerable cook, but lives much at home;
for his palate is gradually adapted to the taste of his cook: whereas, Madam,
in trying by a wider range, I can more exquisitely judge."
- Samuel Johnson (Boswell: Life of Johnson)

At the inn where we stopped he was exceedingly dissatisfied with some roast
mutton we had for dinner. ... He (Johnson) scolded the waiter, saying, "It is
as bad as bad can be: it is ill-fed, ill-killed, ill-kept, and ill-drest."
- Boswell: Life of Johnson

"If an epicure could remove by a wish, in quest of sensual gratifications,
wherever he had supped he would breakfast in Scotland."

- Samuel Johnson: Journey to the Western Islands of Scotland

Frank Lynch

Paul Malin

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
Edward Lutyens, on enquiring of a waiter what the item was on the plate
before him, and being told that it was cod:

"Ah, the piece of cod that passeth all understanding."

--
Paul Malin
A.V.H.P

Serenleono

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98

Al. What hour is ', Lollio?
Lol. Towards belly hour, sir.
Al. Dinner time? thou mean'st *twelve* o'clock.
Lol. Yes, sir, for every part has his hour; we
wake at six, and look about us, that's eye-hour;
at seven we should pray, that's knee-hour; at
eight walk, that's leg-hour; at nine gather flowers,
and pluck a rose, that's nose hour; at ten we
drink, that's mouth-hour; at eleven, lay about us
for victuals, that's hand-hour; at twelve go to
dinner, that's belly-hour.
-- Middleton & Rowl., CHANGELING.

When foure houres bee past after breakfast,
a man may safely take his dinner, and the
most convenient time for dinner is about
*eleven* of the clocke before noone. The
usuall time for dinner in the universities is at
eleaven, or else where about noon.
-- Thomas Cogan, physician,
HAVEN OF HEALTH, ch. 211 (1584)

At the dinner table, no one should be bashful.
-- Plautus, TRINUMMUS, II (c. 190 BCE)

Post coenam stabis vel passus mille meabis.
(After dinner either rest or walk a mile.)
-- author unknown, REGIMEN SALERNITANUM
(c. 1275)

Strange to see how a good dinner and feasting
reconciles everybody.
-- Samuel Pepys, Diary, 9 November 1665.

The family that dines the latest
Is in our street esteemed the greatest.
-- Henry Fielding, letter to Robert Walpole,
1744.

Seren
Godspeed, John Glenn.