Quotes in praise of Librarians?

Darren Chng

Aug 9, 2003, 7:06:15 AM8/9/03
Anyone has any short snappy quotes in praise of librarians?
I need to give out some collar badges to pupil librarians and thought
these quotes will be a fine touch.
Thanks in advance!

Darren

ThreeLeggedDog

Aug 9, 2003, 7:59:19 AM8/9/03

"And, guys have this thing with librarians: 'I really like frumpy
librarians with glasses who, after a couple of tequila shots, take
their hair out of the bun and get crazy.' "
Sonya Jury, architect
(Quoted in Construction.com article, 5 December 2002)

"Are all librarians this much trouble?"
Stephen Sommers
(The Mummy Returns, 2001. Line spoken by Brendan Fraser as Rick
O'Connell)

"As a general rule, librarians are a kick in the pants socially, often
full of good humor, progressive, and, naturally, well read."
Bill Hall
(As quoted in American Libraries, January 2002, p. 44)

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can
rage beyond all control."
The Onion
("Fire Safety and Prevention Tips," 28 May 2003)

"Burnout for librarians seems to me both foolish and unnecessary. . .
. Work hard, work well, work effectively. Work until quitting time.
Then go home and enjoy the rest of your life. If that leaves an
unsolved problem, tell your boss on the way out the door or write the
boss a note."
Herbert S. White
(At the Crossroads. Libraries Unlimited, 1995, p. 210)

"For the civilized world accepts as unforgivable sin
Any talking out loud with any librarian"
Meredeth Wilson
("Marian the Librarian," from The Music Man)

"He's like Super Librarian, y'know? Everyone forgets, Willow, that
knowledge is the ultimate weapon."
(Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode, "Never Kill a Boy on the First
Date."
Line spoken by Nicholas Brendon as Xander Harris)

"I deserve a swift kick in the shorts for all the times I've
stubbornly wound my way through the library stacks, my mule head
leading the way, searching fruitlessly for information a librarian
could put in my hands in a matter of minutes."
Michael Perry
(Handbook for Freelance Writing, 1995, as quoted in Marylaine Block's
Ex Libris, 23 February 2001)

"I love being in a skirt and boots. It goes back to the
librarian-principal look. I like the idea of carrying books around in
a skirt."
Tori Amos
(Submitted by L.J.)

"I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure seeker, or
a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. ... I am a
librarian, and I'm going to kiss you, Mr. O'Connell!"
Stephen Sommers
(The Mummy, 1999. Lines spoken by Rachel Weisz as Evie Carnahan)

"I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a
dangerous group. ... You think they're just sitting at the desk, all
quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man. I
wouldn't mess with them. You know, they've had their budgets cut.
They're paid nothing. Books are falling apart. The libraries are just
like the ass end of everything, right?"
Michael Moore
(BuzzFlash interview, 13 March 2002)

"I saw you guys going at it behind the card catalog."
(Friends episode, 22 November 2001.
Line spoken by Jennifer Anniston as Rachel Green)

"I think that librarians get a bum rap. They're constantly represented
as these staid do-gooders, hair in a bun, glasses on the nose. In
fact, librarians have better eyesight than most professionals."
Alan Kurzweil
("Fresh Air" interview (NPR), 20 October 2001)

"I thought I'd be a librarian until I met some crazy ones."
Edward Gorey
(Boston Globe article, 1998, as quoted in Salon)

"I wanted to have sex with a lot of librarians."
Anthony Kiedis
(Inducting the Talking Heads into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame,
18 March 2002)

"I've got so much more respect now for librarians."
Bjork
(Quoted in Associated Press news article, 15 November 2002)

"If she can't spell, why is she a librarian? Librarians should know
how to spell."
Beverly Cleary
(Ramona's World. Morrow Junior Books, 1999, p. 109)

"In fact a few simple mathematical calculations reveal that if
reference librarians were paid at market rates for all the roles they
play, they would have salaries well over $200,000."
Will Manley
(The Truth About Reference Librarians. McFarland, 1996, p. 30)

"In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us
with floaties and teach us how to swim."
Linton Weeks
(Washington Post article, 13 January 2001, p. C01)

"It is this author's devout hope that in time he may be able to
produce acceptable books about cute furry animals and -- for the older
reader -- stories about high schools in California with really good
athletic programs and uniformly attractive students. In the meantime,
while the sort of adumbrated and sinister production which follows
these remarks continues to issue forth (to my considerable enrichment
-- and the publisher's), the least I can do is to entreat teachers and
librarians of the better sort to keep the book out of the hands of the
young."
Daniel M. Pinkwater
(Young Adults. Tor, 1985, p. 84)

"It must be where the librarians hang out. Hey, let's get locked in
here every weekend!"
(Arthur episode. Line spoken by the character of Francine)

"It's very safe at the Oscars, I mean the Oscars is practically a
librarians convention."
Steven Cojocaru, West Coast style editor for People
(Chicago Tribune article about fashion at the Grammy Awards,
21 February 2001, sec. 5 p. 1)

"Liberrian: One who picks liberries from wild liberry bushes and makes
a liberry pie. Mmmmh! Mmmmh! So delicious!"
R. Lee Hadden
(Message reproduced in Library Juice, 12 April 2000)

"A librarian is a person who helps people -- and dinosaurs -- at the
library."
Mark S. Bernthal
(Barney and Baby Bop Go to the Library. Lyrick, 1999)

"Librarians are librarians: they are not caregivers, nurturers, social
workers, surrogate parents, welfare agents, or therapists. When all is
said and done, their role is straightforward: they gather stuff,
impose some order on said stuff, and make the stuff available to the
public."
Blaise Cronin
(Library Journal column, 15 May 2002, p. 66)

"Librarians don't look like librarians all the time."
Pamela Rush
("Checking Out At the Library")

"Libraries are far from the rarefied cathedrals of secular humanism
they pretend to be, while librarians are the shadiest cratures this
side of the Russian mob. Scratch the adamantly bland demeanor of any
librarian and you'll find trails of broken hearts, bathtubs full of
meth fixings, and covert careers in porn."
David Schmader
(The Stranger.com column, 17 October 2002)

"Man, who'd have thought being a librarian could be so tough?"
(Andromeda episode, "Harper 2.0."
Line spoken by Gordon Michael Woolvett as Seamus Harper.
Submitted by C.E. of Texas)

"Mary Kay is one of the secret masters of the world: a librarian. They
control information. Don't ever piss one off."
Spider Robinson
(The Callahan Touch. Ace, 1993, p. 64)

"Most people don't realize how important librarians are. I ran across
a book recently which suggested that the peace and prosperity of a
culture was solely related to how many librarians it contained.
Possibly a slight overstatement. But a culture that doesn't value its
librarians doesn't value ideas and without ideas, well, where are we?"
Neil Gaiman
(The Sandman. Line spoken by Lucien, Librarian of the Dreaming.
Submitted by Trey Bunn.)

"Of course it's alright for librarians to smell of drink."
Barbara Pym
(Less Than Angels , submitted by Rebecca Hunt of Maryland)

"Okay, I'm going to draw up the demand for the librarian's resignation
tonight."
(Gilmore Girls episode, 1 October 2002.
Line spoken by Liza Weil as Paris Geller)

"Or, if you catch her in a good mood, she'll recite the Dewey decimal
system by heart. They say Mrs. Beamster has a crush on Mr. Dewey and
that she carries his picture in a lead locket around her neck."
Mike Thaler
(The Librarian from the Black Lagoon. Scholastic, 1997)

"Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and
librarians are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides."
James Quinn
(WESTPAC/NOCALL joint meeting, 1990)

"Show me a computer expert that gives a damn, and I'll show you a
librarian."
Patricia Wilson Berger
(Quoted in Chicago Tribune article, 29 June 1990, Tempo section, p.
1)

"The library people can be mean pricks when it comes to people cutting
up their magazines."
John Sandford
(Certain Prey. Putnam, 1999, p. 171)

"There are only two kinds of people who believe themselves able to
read a MARC record without referring to a stack of manuals: a handful
of our top catalogers, and those on serious drugs."
Roy Tennant
(Library Journal column, 15 October 2002)

"To Homer, libraries were holy places like churches, and the priestly
librarians a blessed race, a saving remnant in a world of sin.
Whenever God grew impatient and decided to destroy the world he
remembered the librarians and stayed his hand."
Jane Langton
(The Thief of Venice, as quoted in Library Juice, 14 February 2001)

"We cannot have good libraries until we first have good librarians --
properly educated, professionally recognized, and fairly rewarded."
Herbert S. White
(Library Journal column, 15 November 1999, pp. 44-45)

"Well, that makes you a very clever librarian, Talamascan."
Scott Abbott, screenplay
(Queen of the Damned. Line spoken by Stuart Townsend as Lestat)

"What can I say? Librarians rule."
Regis Philbin
(Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, 17 February 2000)

"When Goofy meets the librarian, they hit it off and spark a
stuck-in-the-seventies disco inferno that steals the show."
(Videotape case blurb, An Extremely Goofy Movie, 2000)

"With a librarian behind him, there's no telling how far a shoeshine
boy can go."
Helen Schary Motro
(Christian Science Monitor column, 23 August 2002)

"You honor your reservations; you go to your meetings so we can clean
the rooms; you're relatively quiet; and you drink more than the
American Legion."
Anonymous hotel official, on why he liked the ALA annual conference
(Quoted by Patricia Wilson Berger in Chicago Tribune article,
29 June 1990, Tempo section, p. 1)

David C Kifer

Aug 9, 2003, 12:07:30 PM8/9/03

Mary Kay is one of the secret masters of the world: a librarian. They

control information. Don't ever piss one off.

--Spider Robinson, science fiction author. From: The Callahan Touch

[often seen as]
"Librarians are the secret masters of the universe. They control the
knowledge. Don't piss them off."

--
Dave
"Tam multi libri, tam breve tempus!"

Amazing Grace

Aug 9, 2003, 1:43:29 PM8/9/03
If past history was all there was to the game, the richest people would
be librarians. Warren Buffett

On librarians I speak with prejudice. The profession in general has
always seemed to me like the legitimization and financing of an impulse
to collect old socks. John Cheever

The old man was peering intently at the shelves. "I'll have to admit
that he's a very competent scholar." "Isn't he just a librarian?" Garion
asked, "somebody who looks after books?" "That's where all the rest of
scholarship starts, Garion. All the books in the world won't help you if
they're just piled up in a heap." David Eddings

Librarian is a service occupation. Gas station attendant of the mind.
Richard Powers

I am what the librarians have made me with a little assistance from a
professor of Greek and a few poets. Bernard Keble Sandwell

Darren Chng wrote:

--
Amazing Grace's Eclectic Quotation Collection
*103,000 quotations, proverbs, by people of all philosophies, ages and

Jay Robert

Aug 9, 2003, 4:37:50 PM8/9/03
Darren Chng wrote:
> Anyone has any short snappy quotes in praise of librarians?
> I need to give out some collar badges to pupil librarians and >thought
> these quotes will be a fine touch.
> Thanks in advance!

A book is a fragile creature. It suffers the wear of time, it fears rodents,
the elements and clumsy hands...So the librarian protects the books not only
against mankind but also against nature and devotes his life to this war with
the forces of oblivion.
---Umberto Eco, _The Name of the Rose_, 1984

We've all got our little preconceived notions about what librarians are and
what they do. Many people think of them as diminutive civil servants, scuttling
about "Sssh-ing" people and stamping things. Well, think again buster.
Librarians have degrees. They go to graduate school for Information Science and
become masters of data systems and human/computer interaction. Librarians can
catalog anything from an onion to a dog's ear... Librarians wield unfathomable
power. With a flip of the wrist they can hide your dissertation behind piles of
old Field and Stream magazines.
They can find data for your term paper that you never knew existed....People
become librarians because they know too much. Their knowledge extends beyond
mere categories. They cannot be confined to disciplines....They bring order to
chaos. They bring wisdom and culture to the masses. They preserve every aspect
of human knowledge.
---Erica Olsen

--Jay
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
---William Shakespear

Darren Chng

Aug 10, 2003, 1:46:16 AM8/10/03
some powerful stuff here!

Thanks again and I won't mind having more!

Darren

On 09 Aug 2003 20:37:50 GMT, xjr...@aol.comcutthis (Jay Robert)
wrote:
snip