How much have things have changed since 1960

1 view

Grace McGarvie

Apr 8, 2002, 4:29:07 PM4/8/02

How much have things have changed since 1960?

The changes that have occurred may be praised or condemned by you, but
there is no denying, that all of these changes occurred because of
politics and people participating in the political process.

Then & Now

Criminal suspects often did not know their rights and were not told what
their rights were. If they were too poor to hire a lawyer they had to
defend themselves in court, against a trained prosecutor.

Crime rates have skyrocketed.

Bible reading and school prayer were daily occurrences in most schools
in the country.

Fewer persons attend church on a weekly basis, and many question whether
good moral values are being transmitted to young people.

Abortion was illegal everywhere.

Over 1.3 million legal abortions have occurred every year since 1974

Blacks were disenfranchised in every Southern state, rarely was any
black elected to public office.

6,793 Black citizens serve in elected positions at federal, state, and
local levels

Censorship was a fact of life, movies and books were routinely banned.

X rated videos and books are widely available.

People were committed to state institutions on the word of one relative
without the fundamental right of a court hearing

Mentally disturbed homeless people wander in our downtown areas.

The idea of rights for women was a joke (during the floor debate on the
Civil Rights Act of 1964, sex was added, as a joke, as a category of non-discrimination).

Women don't think sexist comments are funny and are increasingly filing
sex harassment and discrimination complaints using the 1964 Civil
Rights Act.

Women were absent from power in all levels of society

Women, no longer economically dependent on husbands, are increasingly
heading businesses, professions and households.

OBQ
Men live and die, and other men Arise with knowledges diverse: What
seemed a blessing seems a curse, And Now is still at odds with Then.
The years go on, the old comes back To mock the new – beneath the sun Is
nothing new; ideas run Recurrent in an endless track. What most we
censure, men as wise Have reverently practiced; nor Will future wisdom
fail to war On principles we dearly prize. Ambrose Bierce

Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time
we've got. Art Buchwald

--
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only a page."
St. Augustine of Hippo

_____________________________
0 0 . . Grace McGarvie . .
J . . . .
{___} . . Plymouth,Mn. 55447 . .
. . gem...@attbi.com . .

gemcgar.vcf

The Sanity Inspector

Apr 9, 2002, 12:03:57 AM4/9/02
On Mon, 08 Apr 2002 20:29:07 GMT, Grace McGarvie <gem...@attbi.com>
shared with usenet this thought:

> Then & Now

1950: "Don't forget your rubbers."
1990: "Don't forget your rubbers."
-- John Callahan cartoon of boy being sent off to school

--
bruce
The dignified don't even enter in the game.

Graham J Weeks

Apr 9, 2002, 2:23:05 AM4/9/02
In article <3cb267ed...@news.mindspring.com>,
chollanam...@mindspring.com wrote:

> 1950: "Don't forget your rubbers."
> 1990: "Don't forget your rubbers."
> -- John Callahan cartoon of boy being sent off to school

It took a minute for that penny to drop with me. It reminds me of a
cartoon I saw nearly twenty years ago when Aids began to hit the news.
(from memory)

Grandson asks grandfather what his generation used to prevent "social" diseases.
Grandfather replies, "a wedding ring".

--
Graham J Weeks M.R.Pharm.S.
http://www.weeks-g.dircon.co.uk/ My homepage of quotations

Gareth Owen

Apr 9, 2002, 4:23:28 AM4/9/02
wee...@dircon.co.uk (Graham J Weeks) writes:

> Grandson asks grandfather what his generation used to prevent "social"
> diseases. Grandfather replies, "a wedding ring".

Soldier, in a curious land
All across a swaying sea,
Take her smile and lift her hand --
Have no guilt of me.

Solider, when were soldiers true?
If she's kind and sweet and gay,
Use the wish I send to you --
Lie not lone til day!

Only, for the nights that were,
Soldier, and the dawns that came,
When in my sleep you turn to her
Call her by my name.

War Song [poem], Dorothy Parker (1893-1967)
--
Gareth Owen
Usenet is like Tetris for people who still remember how to read

tmw

Apr 9, 2002, 10:21:12 PM4/9/02
> Soldier, in a curious land
> All across a swaying sea,
> Take her smile and lift her hand --
> Have no guilt of me.
>
> Solider, when were soldiers true?
> If she's kind and sweet and gay,
=======================
But with this, perhaps give a thought to 200,000 plus military comfort
women

OBQ
I was afraid to reveal my past for fifty years, but now I realize I've got
only a short life left, and I will tell the whole world.
~Kim Hak-soon ( first former comfort woman to reveal her name in court).

Trafficking in Asian women is a contemporary version of the Japanese
Imperial Army's prior exploitation of Asian women as comfort women. The only
difference lies in whether men are in military uniforms or in business
suits. It is male degradation of women as commodities.
~Suzuki Yuko
http://csf.colorado.edu/bcas/sample/comfdoc.htm
tmw