Coffee

1 view

The Sanity Inspector

Apr 15, 2002, 8:58:06 AM4/15/02
The Turks have a drink called Coffa (for they use no wine_
sonamed of a berry as black as soot, and as bitter...which they sip
still of, and sup as warm as they can suffer; they spend much time in
those Coffa-houses, which are somewhat like our Ale-houses or Taverns,
and there they sit chatting and drinking to drive away the time, and
to be merry together, because they find by experience that kinde of
drink so used helpeth digestion, and procureth alacrity.
-- Robert Burton, 1621

--
bruce
The dignified don't even enter in the game.

Grace McGarvie

Apr 15, 2002, 12:42:30 PM4/15/02
COFFEE
Coffee is a beverage that puts one to sleep when not drank. Alphonse Allais
This coffee plunges into the stomach . . . the mind is aroused, and
ideas pour forth like the battalions of the Grand Army on the field of
battle . . . Memories charge at full gallop . . . the light cavalry of
comparisons deploys itself magnificently; the artillery of logic hurry
in with their train of ammunition; flashes of wit pop up like
sharp-shooters. Honore de Balzac
'Tis pity wine should be so deleterious, for tea and coffee leave us
much more serious. George Gordon, Lord Byron
For I have known them all already, known them all Have known the
evenings, mornings, afternoons, I have measured out my life with coffee
spoons. T. S. Eliot
A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems. Paul Erdos
Jesus rises from the grave (is making coffee and eggs): "I wonder what
time it is . . . I feel like I've been dead for 3 days." Gary Larson,
"The Far Side"
There are no gods in my coffee cup. Tony Lawrence
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food
groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. Alex Levine
Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee, and just as hard
to sleep after. Anne Morrow Lindbergh
A good cure for a hangover is to drink black coffee the night before
instead of the morning after. Laurence J. Peter
Behind every successful woman is a substantial amount of coffee.
Stephanie Piro
Coffee which makes the politician wise, and see through all things with
his half-shut eyes. Alexander Pope
A man cannot be happy who believes in hell, any more than he can sweeten
his coffee with a pickle. Lemuel K. Washburn
Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend
their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter,
stinking nauseous puddle water. The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1694
COFFEE.EXE missing. Insert cup and press any key. Anonymous
Coffee has two virtues: it is wet and warm. Dutch Proverb
Coffee and love are best when they are hot. German Proverb

--
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only a page."
St. Augustine of Hippo

_____________________________
0 0 . . Grace McGarvie . .
J . . . .
{___} . . Plymouth,Mn. 55447 . .
. . gem...@attbi.com . .

gemcgar.vcf

Frank Lynch

Apr 15, 2002, 1:03:57 PM4/15/02
On Mon, 15 Apr 2002 16:42:30 GMT, Grace McGarvie <gem...@attbi.com>
wrote:

>Coffee has two virtues: it is wet and warm. Dutch Proverb

Coffee should be black as Hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.
-- Turkish proverb

Frank Lynch
The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page is at:
http://www.samueljohnson.com/

Erica

Apr 15, 2002, 2:53:17 PM4/15/02
"> This coffee plunges into the stomach . . . the mind is aroused, and
> ideas pour forth like the battalions of the Grand Army on the field of
> battle . . . Memories charge at full gallop . . . the light cavalry of
> comparisons deploys itself magnificently; the artillery of logic hurry
> in with their train of ammunition; flashes of wit pop up like
> sharp-shooters. Honore de Balzac
______________________

In Europe the most obstreperous nations are those most addicted to
coffee...
We rightly speak of a storm in a teacup as the tiniest disturbance in the
world but out of a coffee cup come hurricanes.
~ Robert Lynd, The Blue Lion

Erica
_______________________

Samuel Jahaza Howard

Apr 15, 2002, 3:43:05 PM4/15/02

"Real Officers know that coffee isn't strong unless you can stand a track
jack up in it."--Author Unknown

Sam Howard

Pierre Malraison

Apr 15, 2002, 6:23:48 PM4/15/02
Bill Waterhouse must not have seen this thread yet...

A Mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.
Paul Erdos

David C Kifer

Apr 16, 2002, 1:30:51 AM4/16/02
to Frank Lynch
Frank Lynch wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Apr 2002 16:42:30 GMT, Grace McGarvie <gem...@attbi.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Coffee has two virtues: it is wet and warm. Dutch Proverb
>
> Coffee should be black as Hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.
> -- Turkish proverb

Black as the devil,
Hot as hell,
Pure as an angel,
Sweet as love.
--Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord

[p&e]
--
Dave
"Tam multi libri, tam breve tempus!"

Gareth Owen

Apr 17, 2002, 7:46:49 AM4/17/02
Frank Lynch <frank.lync...@verizon.net> writes:

> On Mon, 15 Apr 2002 16:42:30 GMT, Grace McGarvie <gem...@attbi.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Coffee has two virtues: it is wet and warm. Dutch Proverb
>
> Coffee should be black as Hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.
> -- Turkish proverb

"Black as the Devil, sweet as a stolen kiss"
-- Supposed Polish proverb, quoted in Alan Moore's "Watchmen"
(translated as "no milk, two sugars")

--
Gareth Owen
Luminous beings are we. Not this crude matter.