Definition of racism

Steven M Casburn

Jan 22, 1993, 4:14:59 PM1/22/93
"The modern definition of 'racist' is 'someone who is winning an argument
with a liberal'"
-- Peter Brimelow, National Review (2/1/93)

--
Steve Casburn (scas...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu)
"It is a far, far better thing that I do than I have ever done.

Tony Kennedy

Jan 30, 1993, 10:14:32 AM1/30/93
>>"scasburn" == Steven M Casburn <scas...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> writes:

scasburn> "The modern definition of 'racist' is 'someone who is
scasburn> winning an argument with a liberal'" -- Peter Brimelow,
scasburn> National Review (2/1/93)

Surely this needs to be extended with the definition that a `liberal'
is someone winning an argument with a racist; it adds a certain
elegant symmetry.

Ob. Quote: "Long range weather forecast. There will be less weather
than usual next month." (The Grauniad, London & Manchester)

Alan Marr

Feb 1, 1993, 1:22:21 AM2/1/93
scas...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Steven M Casburn) writes:
"The modern definition of 'racist' is 'someone who is winning an argument
with a liberal'" Peter Brimelow, National Review (2/1/93)

"A conservative is a man who believes that nothing should be done for
the first time." Alfred E. Wiggam. (quoted on the net).

"A religious conservative is a fanatic about a dead radical". Origin
unknown.

"A conservative is a liberal who has been mugged. A liberal is a
conservative who has been arrested." Origin unknown.

"Knee-jerk liberals and all the certified saints of sanctified humanism
are quick to condemn this great and much-maligned Transylvanian
statesman." William F. Buckley, Jr., "The Wit and Wisdom of Vlad the
Impaler"

Alan.
"Extraordinary how potent cheap music is." Noel Coward, Private Lives.

Robert I. Eachus

Feb 2, 1993, 6:24:09 PM2/2/93

>>"scasburn" == Steven M Casburn <scas...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> writes:

scasburn> "The modern definition of 'racist' is 'someone who is
scasburn> winning an argument with a liberal'" -- Peter Brimelow,
scasburn> National Review (2/1/93)

> Surely this needs to be extended with the definition that a `liberal'
> is someone winning an argument with a racist; it adds a certain
> elegant symmetry.

Nonsense! A liberal is someone who can't win an argument with
anyone--including himself.

Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use Standard_Disclaimer;

Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use Standard_Disclaimer;

Michael Ballard

Feb 5, 1993, 8:50:56 PM2/5/93
A 1976 Chrysler is idling loudly at the curb. The conservative says,
"If it works, don't fix it." The liberal says, "We should get a
new muffler put on it and maybe some tires." The revolutionary
goes over to the phone to call the scrap dealer and then puts a
down payment on a new electric vehicle.

--
Join the Wobblies!
e-mail i...@igc.apc.org

Richard Thompson

Feb 7, 1993, 9:17:27 PM2/7/93
"Marxists are people whose insides are torn up day after day because they want
to rule the world and no one will even publish their letter to the editor."

--Mark Heprin in _Winter's Tale_

--
"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain,
and big words Bother me."

Gary Hypes

Feb 12, 1993, 6:27:11 PM2/12/93
Tony Kennedy (a...@sun13.SCRI.FSU.EDU) wrote:
:
: Surely this needs to be extended with the definition that a `liberal'

: is someone winning an argument with a racist; it adds a certain
: elegant symmetry.
:

No, a liberal is someone who insists that the government should
intervene and restrict argument-winning on grounds that violates
people's self-esteem and is clearly prejudicial to peoples whose
cultural and socioeconomic upbringing do not allow them to develop
competitive arguing skills.

- Gary Hypes -

Alfred M. Kriman

Feb 14, 1993, 10:06:31 PM2/14/93

*

*

Robert I. Eachus (eac...@aries.mitre.org) writes:
> Nonsense! A liberal is someone who can't win an argument with
>anyone--including himself.

I think David Frost said something like
"A liberal is someone who won't take his own side in an argument."

Anyone have it right or more certain?

--
Al Kriman kri...@acsu.buffalo.edu

Jemaleddin Cole

Feb 14, 1993, 11:16:03 PM2/14/93
In <C2GzA...@acsu.buffalo.edu> kri...@acsu.buffalo.edu (Alfred M. Kriman) writes:

>> "The modern definition of 'racist' is 'someone who is
>> winning an argument with a liberal'" -- Peter Brimelow,

>> Surely this needs to be extended with the definition that a `liberal'

>> is someone winning an argument with a racist; it adds a certain
>> elegant symmetry.

>> Nonsense! A liberal is someone who can't win an argument with
>>anyone--including himself.

>"A liberal is someone who won't take his own side in an argument."

Just for balance:

"Men are conservatives when they are least vigorous,
or when they are most luxurious. They are conservatives after
dinner."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"What is conservativism? Is it not the aherence to the old
and tried against the new and untried?"
--Abraham Lincoln
+
"The man for whom law exists - the man of forms, the
Conservative, is a tame man."
--Henry David Thoreau

"A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs
who, however, has never learned to walk."
--Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the
most beloved."
--Aristotle

"All co ves are such from personal defects. They
have been effeminated by position or nature, born halt and blind,
through luxury of their parents, and can only, like invalids, act
on the defensive."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
--
"I have lived some thirty years on this planet and I
have yet to hear the first syllable of valuable or even earnest