Phrase: "morning glory evening grace"

FACE

Sep 17, 2007, 8:45:27 PM9/17/07
Does anyone know where the phrase "morning glory evening grace" comes from?

FACE

The Sanity Inspector

Sep 18, 2007, 9:49:22 PM9/18/07
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 20:45:27 -0400 in alt.quotations, FACE
<AFaceIn...@today.net> shared with usenet this thought...:

>Does anyone know where the phrase "morning glory evening grace" comes from?
>
>FACE

You mean other than from the Hugh Hewitt show?

--
bruce
The dignified don't even enter in the game.

http://tinyurl.com/4sarw | http://www.cafepress.com/notdifficult
http://postingwillbelight.blogspot.com
http://atlantarofters.blogspot.com
http://is-3.blogspot.com

FACE

Sep 19, 2007, 6:05:52 AM9/19/07
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:49:22 -0400, in alt.quotations The Sanity Inspector
<syna...@THETRASHhotmail.com>, wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 20:45:27 -0400 in alt.quotations, FACE
><AFaceIn...@today.net> shared with usenet this thought...:
>
>>Does anyone know where the phrase "morning glory evening grace" comes from?
>>
>>FACE
>
>You mean other than from the Hugh Hewitt show?

Yes. He often does it in kind of a responsive way. But I am thinking it
has roots other than that.

FACE

David C Kifer

Sep 19, 2007, 1:14:17 PM9/19/07
FACE dipped mouse in ink and wrote:

> Does anyone know where the phrase "morning glory evening grace" comes from?
>
> FACE

For what it's worth:

_Why does Hugh say that all the time? What does it mean? Is it funny?_

Hugh used to be on in the mornings. He had a regular caller who would
say "Morning glory, Hugh!" Hugh then adopted that as his intro.
Then he moved the show to afternoon drive, and he had a contest with
his listeners to come up with a suitable counterpart to "morning
glory," and thus was born "evening grace."
--10 comment posted on 10/11/2006 2:44:46 PM PDT by BeHoldAPaleHorse

Dave
"Tam multi libri, tam breve tempus!"
(Et brevis pecunia.) [Et breve spatium.]

Benny Shaboy

Sep 19, 2007, 3:33:53 PM9/19/07
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 20:45:27 -0400, FACE <AFaceIn...@today.net>
wrote:

>Does anyone know where the phrase "morning glory evening grace" comes from?
>
>FACE

In horse racing, a morning glory is horse that runs quickly in
workouts but doesn't do well in the afternoons (the actual races), but
I'm guessing the phrase above is more churchy in origin and meaning.

OBQs
I bet on a horse that was so good it took 12 other horses to beat him.
~Joe E. Brown (1892-1973), American comedian

I follow the horses. And the horses I follow, follow other horses.
~Joe E. Brown

Sr. Eveline

Sep 20, 2007, 6:22:37 AM9/20/07
Benny Shaboy wrote:

>> Does anyone know where the phrase "morning glory evening grace" comes from?

> I'm guessing the phrase above is more churchy in origin and meaning.

Would "evening grace/morning glory" perhaps be a more theologically
appropriate placement of words?

For the Lord God is a sun and shield: the Lord will give grace and glory
~Psalm 84:11.

Grace is simply what we receive and what we escape by the interposition
of Jesus Christ between us and a holy law.... Grace is a free gift,
glory is a reward; grace is ours as sharers in Christ's humiliation,
glory is ours as partners in His triumph; grace is our earthly portion,
glory is our heavenly recompense.
~A.J. Gordon, Grace and Glory

//Sr. Eveline

**Is it not to share your food with the hungry, and to provide the poor
wanderer with shelter -- when you see the naked, to clothe him, and
not turn away from your own flesh and blood? Then your light will break
forth as the Morning, and your healing will quickly appear; then your
righteousness will go before you, and the Glory of the Lord will be your
rear guard
-Isaiah 58:6-8**

_____________________________________

Alohacyberian

Sep 20, 2007, 7:07:46 AM9/20/07

wrote:

>Does anyone know where the phrase "morning glory evening grace" comes from?
>
>FACE

In horse racing, a morning glory is horse that runs quickly in
workouts but doesn't do well in the afternoons (the actual races), but
I'm guessing the phrase above is more churchy in origin and meaning.

No, I don't think it was churchy. For instance in certain parts of the
United States (particularly rural areas) a standard morning greeting instead
of "good morning" was "morning, glory" or rather more often, "mornin',
glory." KM
OBQ
"Welcome every morning with a smile. Look on the new day as another special
gift from your Creator, another golden opportunity to complete what you were
unable to finish yesterday. Be a self-starter. Let your first hour set the
theme of success and positive action that is certain to echo through your
entire day. Today will never happen again. Don't waste it with a false start
or no start at all. You were not born to fail."
~ Og Mandino
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website view over 3,600 live cameras or
visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI, and

The Sanity Inspector

Sep 20, 2007, 11:58:33 AM9/20/07
On Sep 20, 7:07 am, "Alohacyberian" <alohacyber...@att.net> wrote:
[...]

> "Welcome every morning with a smile. Look on the new day as another special
> gift from your Creator, another golden opportunity to complete what you were
> unable to finish yesterday. Be a self-starter. Let your first hour set the
> theme of success and positive action that is certain to echo through your
> entire day. Today will never happen again. Don't waste it with a false start
> or no start at all. You were not born to fail."
> ~ Og Mandino

There are two types of people: those who greet each day with "Good
morning, God", and those who greet each day with "Good God, morning!"
-- ???[sorry!]

FACE

Sep 20, 2007, 8:06:39 PM9/20/07

Thanks to all that participated -- suppositions from race horses to
"churchy".

I just felt it must have roots before Hewitt. Each half of the phrase does,
but I have not seen them together so maybe it is Hewitt's..........

FACE

HellPopeHuey

Sep 20, 2007, 8:11:47 PM9/20/07

There are two kinds of people:
those who say to God, "Thy will be done"
and those to whom God says,
"All right, then, have it your way."
- C. S. Lewis

I have the real Jesus in a box.
From time to time I shake it,
just to make sure He is still kicking.
He is.
You can shake the box for a nickel.
- Rev. Tartarus

--

HellPope Huey
I was kinda hoping to live like a gentleman at one point,

On my income tax 1040 form, it says
'Check this box if you are blind.'
I wanted to put a check mark about three inches away.
~ Tom Lehrer, lecturing in "The Nature of Math"

"I saw a Rottweiler having sex with a Big Wheel."
~ Brandon Fraser

SteveMR200

Sep 22, 2007, 6:00:00 PM9/22/07
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 00:11:47 GMT, HellPopeHuey wrote in message:
<7%DIi.51133$Um6....@newssvr12.news.prodigy.net>:

> There are two kinds of people:
> those who say to God, "Thy will be done"
> and those to whom God says,
> "All right, then, have it your way."
> - C. S. Lewis

There is only one success--to be able to spend your
life in your own way.
--Christopher Morley (1890-1957)
_Where the Blue Begins_ [1922]

--
Steve

SteveMR200

Sep 22, 2007, 6:00:02 PM9/22/07
On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 08:58:33 -0700, The Sanity Inspector wrote in
message: <1190303913.7...@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>:

>There are two types of people: those who greet each day with "Good
>morning, God", and those who greet each day with "Good God, morning!"
>-- ???[sorry!]

Your attitude toward life in general is reflected in
your response to the dawn of a new day.
--J. N. Gehman

--
Steve

HellPopeHuey

Sep 23, 2007, 12:37:04 AM9/23/07

This a weird exchange, since my sister is trying to be "good" and I am
a slithering heathen who just happens to play the piano passably well.

"Many people DO have a heart,
but by the time you've had to push them up against a wall
and force them to SHOW it,
you may as well rip it out and show it to THEM,
like in one of those awful werewolf movies."
- My Jehovah's Witness sister

--

HellPope Huey
I dreamed I was flying.

He has the worst golf handicap since Edward Scissorhands.
~ Rev. DJ Epoch

"Emergency operator? What are you wearing?"
~ "Whose Line Is It Anyway?"

http://www.beat-factory.net/hellpope/

SteveMR200

Sep 23, 2007, 8:00:00 AM9/23/07
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 23:37:04 -0500, HellPopeHuey wrote in message:
<R4mJi.85$ih1...@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com>:

> "Many people DO have a heart,
> but by the time you've had to push them up against a wall
> and force them to SHOW it,
> you may as well rip it out and show it to THEM,
> like in one of those awful werewolf movies."
> - My Jehovah's Witness sister

In the desert I saw a creature, naked, bestial, who,
squatting upon the ground, held his heart in his
hands, and ate of it. I said, "Is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter--bitter," he answered; "but I like it
because it is bitter, and because it is my heart."
--Stephen Crane (1871-1900)
_The Black Riders_ [1895], Part III

--
Steve

HellPopeHuey

Sep 23, 2007, 10:40:50 AM9/23/07

"Your heart wants to fix everything."
~ "NOVA"

--

HellPope Huey
Order within your next 10 sins

"People snapped after September 11th
and the leader of the snap was Jerry Falwell.
Jerry Falwell was crazy before and if you did not know that,
I'd like you to wear aluminum foil
so we KNOW WHO YOU ARE."
~ Lewis Black

"They got me on the prayer list between world hunger
and Madonna's latest bastard love child."
~ "Drew Carey"

SteveMR200

Sep 23, 2007, 9:30:02 PM9/23/07
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 09:40:50 -0500, HellPopeHuey wrote in message:
<VWuJi.154$ua4...@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net>:

> "Your heart wants to fix everything."
> ~ "NOVA"

He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool.
--The Bible, Proverbs 28:26 KJV

--
Steve

Diane Hicks

Feb 18, 2022, 11:35:08 PM2/18/22
Hugh is now on the radio in Bill Bennet's time slot. 0500-0800 CST. He is on over 500 stations and also has podcasts.