Show Reviews

Visualize World Domination

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98
So I went homety home for Thanksgiving, ate turkey, saw friends,
got ditched by friends, got mad at friends, etc. etc. etc. Anyway, a
couple show reviews for ya'lls:
THE MOONS, YOGURT, SHOTWELL, LOST TRIBE, OUR LADY OF NAPALM at
Mission Records 11/27.
Our Lady of Napalm was jangly emo stuff, so I got bored and bought
some records from the store proper. Although almost everything was
overpriced, they did have a nice cheap 7" bin and I finally got the
Hickey/VGS split, as well as a 50 Million/Static Faction split and a Crash
and Brittany e.p. Then, out of sheer boredom, I wandered over to the LP
bin and lo and behold, I got the I Can't Believe It's Not Water comp,
which places me once and for all as the supreme Kisser of SKiP's Ass: I
think I have every released Wynos song. I then left all these records in
Nadine's car, so no reviews for you, pookies.
Lost Tribe were this heavy female crunchy stuff ala Lost Goat,
but a little screamier which is a good thing. Still, zero stage
presence. I saw my friends Myq and Becca, neither of whom I'd seem in
about a year.
Shotwell were probably the most skilled traditional punk, which
is why I got bored. They played a ska song too, the bastards.
Yogurt ruled. Matty and Aesop from Hickey, as fucked up and
dirty as ever. I got their set list. Fuck yeah I'm a groupie.

SWINGIN' UTTERS, MURDER CITY DEVILS, APOCALYPSE HOBOKEN, AT THE
DRIVE-IN at Bottom of the Hill 11/28.
At the Drive-In surprised the hell out of me by being power-chord
screamo, then degenerated into a HWM/Jawbreakery thing. Still, really
good for a while, and skinny black-haired spasticboy lead singer was
really, really entertaining. No buttons. Bummer. They played a song
about "two dead women" and my friend Kathy said, "This song makes me want
to drink myself to death... then maybe it could be about three dead
women!" To which I replied "Then they'd play it and I could say, 'I know
one of those women!'" and followed up with "Yay Kathy!!!" just as the
song ended so of course everyone in the club heard me.
Apcoalypse Hoboken sucked. To quote a great man--me--"Do you
think they'd move more on stage if I threw a brick at them?" Whatever,
points for costumes, but boring and poor use of a megaphone (Wet-Nap's
megaphone helmet is much cooler).
The Murder City Devils kicked some serious fucking ass. First punk
band I've seen who got as many people dancing as moshing, including y.t.,
and I'm supposed to be a jaded hipster fuck. Joanie, you're wrong, their
stage show is fucking awesome. Everyone in motion the whole time--except
for the keyboardist, who I think was looking pretty-and-bored
deliberately to add to the whole rocknroll show--and burning drumkit...
yeah. Yeah yeah yeah. YEAH! OWW! WOO!
The Swingin' Utters everyone's seen before. *yawn*
Fin.

--Alex Siegfried--
A mind is a terrible waste of space.
_____
"If she calls again, tell her I'm gay..." THE BARFEEDERS
xXxXxXxXxXxXxXx SFMP : TRUE FOR LIFE UNTIL WE GET ONE xXxXxXxXxXxXxXx
GEEK RIOT +++ Tues. 2-4 a.m. +++ KCSB 91.9 FM +++ Santa Barbara

Joanie

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98
In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.981130...@crl.crl.com>

Visualize World Domination <ale...@crl.com> writes:

> At the Drive-In surprised the hell out of me by being power-chord
> screamo, then degenerated into a HWM/Jawbreakery thing.

Degenerated???? Hush your mouth boy.
I'm pissed cuz when I went to see these guys, they were on much
earlier than I thought they'd be so I only saw one song. Seemed
like they'd be really good but I could see the singer bugging me
after a while.

Still, really
> good for a while, and skinny black-haired spasticboy lead singer was
> really, really entertaining. No buttons. Bummer. They played a song
> about "two dead women" and my friend Kathy said, "This song makes me want
> to drink myself to death... then maybe it could be about three dead
> women!" To which I replied "Then they'd play it and I could say, 'I know
> one of those women!'" and followed up with "Yay Kathy!!!" just as the
> song ended so of course everyone in the club heard me.
> Apcoalypse Hoboken sucked. To quote a great man--me--"Do you
> think they'd move more on stage if I threw a brick at them?" Whatever,
> points for costumes, but boring and poor use of a megaphone (Wet-Nap's
> megaphone helmet is much cooler).
> The Murder City Devils kicked some serious fucking ass. First punk
> band I've seen who got as many people dancing as moshing, including y.t.,
> and I'm supposed to be a jaded hipster fuck. Joanie, you're wrong, their
> stage show is fucking awesome. Everyone in motion the whole time--except
> for the keyboardist, who I think was looking pretty-and-bored
> deliberately to add to the whole rocknroll show--and burning drumkit...
> yeah. Yeah yeah yeah. YEAH! OWW! WOO!

What are you talking about? They all have that pretty and bored
look, even if they are moving around. Except the singer, the pretty
look doesn't work for him and he definitely didn't look bored.

Joanie

scand...@my-dejanews.com

Dec 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/7/98
In article <740q8r$1b3$2...@cruncher.dfci.harvard.edu>,

joa...@wmbr.mit.edu (Joanie) wrote:
> In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.981130...@crl.crl.com>
> Visualize World Domination <ale...@crl.com> writes:
>
> > At the Drive-In surprised the hell out of me by being power-chord
> > screamo, then degenerated into a HWM/Jawbreakery thing.
>
> Degenerated???? Hush your mouth boy.
> I'm pissed cuz when I went to see these guys, they were on much
> earlier than I thought they'd be so I only saw one song. Seemed
> like they'd be really good but I could see the singer bugging me
> after a while.

Well, like I said, he was spastic and entertaining, wrapped himself
up in the microphone cord so tightly it took him quite a while to untangle.
And of course, they did have that "we're playing metal chords but we're
atristic, honest" thing for about half their songs, which I adore on the
grounds that it lets me continue to pretend not to be a metal fan. And as
for HWM, well... The actual music is pretty good, I just wish to GOD the
singer'd switch to a more aggressive singing style. Doesn't even have to be
screamy, just have some anger in there. When I look for emo now, I look for
music to kill small furry things by; not stuff to feel by. Likewise, when I
pick up hardcore I want something fast and fairly stupid. And, when I pick
up pop-punk, I want massively hooky shit. HWM has no hooks, has
"intelligent" (in that "what the hell are you talking about?" way) lyrics,
has few hooks, and a moderate tempo. Maybe I need to grow into them.

> > The Murder City Devils kicked some serious fucking ass. First punk
> > band I've seen who got as many people dancing as moshing, including y.t.,
> > and I'm supposed to be a jaded hipster fuck. Joanie, you're wrong, their
> > stage show is fucking awesome. Everyone in motion the whole time--except
> > for the keyboardist, who I think was looking pretty-and-bored
> > deliberately to add to the whole rocknroll show--and burning drumkit...
> > yeah. Yeah yeah yeah. YEAH! OWW! WOO!
>
> What are you talking about? They all have that pretty and bored
> look, even if they are moving around. Except the singer, the pretty
> look doesn't work for him and he definitely didn't look bored.

You've caught Selby disease, Joanie. That should teach you not to
share lollipops. Maybe it was because it was the last stop on the tour,
but the MCDs looked like they were having the time of their fucking lives up
there. In fact, I'd say the singer was the most bored guy in the band. Lots
of guitar swinging and that whole
hold-the-guitar-upright-in-front-of-you-while-playing thing that looks
massively, monumentally, categorically fucking slick. Brady also made
a good point about the appeal of the MCDs: it's the whole "one of these
things is not like the other" effect. Four skinny white boys, black hair,
tight shirts, and sunglasses... and one sorta pudgy blonde in Buddy Hollys
and a flourescent blue paisley button-up. Sorry, Joanie. I'm a
die-hard drooling MCD fanboy, now.

--
the **ALL NEW** Alex Siegfried
A little punk. A little indie. A lot of fun.

Joanie

Dec 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/8/98
In article <74gtk2$muh$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>
scand...@my-dejanews.com writes:

> And as
> for HWM, well... The actual music is pretty good, I just wish to GOD the
> singer'd switch to a more aggressive singing style. Doesn't even have to be
> screamy, just have some anger in there.

What are you talking about? Where's Jeff Skyvalley to back me
up? Those guys practically attack the microphone when they're
singing. You're silly.

Brady also made
> a good point about the appeal of the MCDs: it's the whole "one of these
> things is not like the other" effect. Four skinny white boys, black hair,
> tight shirts, and sunglasses... and one sorta pudgy blonde in Buddy Hollys
> and a flourescent blue paisley button-up. Sorry, Joanie. I'm a
> die-hard drooling MCD fanboy, now.

That's okay, they're not that bad. You have a lot more lame
bands that you're a huge fan of.

Joanie