Should I go see At The Drive-In/Murder City Devils/Noise Conspiracy tomorrow?

Staniforth

Oct 23, 2000, 1:44:08 AM10/23/00

All said bands are sort of lame, but they're playing with Bluetip and one
other and it's only $12, which is reasonable. And I'm not doing anything
else.

Anyone got a suggestion? Preferably those who know my musical tastes. I hear
they all put on good enough shows, so it might be worth it just for that.
I'm missing Veda Hille on tuesday because of my 2nd last shift at the stupid
fucking cafe, so I should make up for that somehow.

--
"It is wonderful to be despised, if, deep down, we know we are right."

-- Pierre Elliott Trudeau

cuylerh...@my-deja.com

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00

> All said bands are sort of lame, but they're playing with Bluetip and
one
> other and it's only $12, which is reasonable. And I'm not doing
anything
> else.
>
> Anyone got a suggestion? Preferably those who know my musical tastes.
I hear
> they all put on good enough shows, so it might be worth it just for
that.
> I'm missing Veda Hille on tuesday because of my 2nd last shift at the
stupid
> fucking cafe, so I should make up for that somehow.

At the Drive In put on an awesome show. Even a non-fan can appreciate
the power and intensity. I say go for it. Im going to try to see them
this Saturday here in NY.

Frank

"The blue is to light for television,
and someones been gunning for masks." -United Magnetics
http://www.angelfire.com/sk/loadedundies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Joanie

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00
In article <IeQI5.12787$HM6....@news.magma.ca>
"Staniforth" <jbsNO_SP...@magma.ca> writes:

> All said bands are sort of lame, but they're playing with Bluetip and one
> other and it's only $12, which is reasonable. And I'm not doing anything
> else.
>
> Anyone got a suggestion? Preferably those who know my musical tastes. I hear
> they all put on good enough shows, so it might be worth it just for that.
> I'm missing Veda Hille on tuesday because of my 2nd last shift at the stupid
> fucking cafe, so I should make up for that somehow.

I wrote most of this in another post but here it is again.
I think you should go. You'll get a kick out of INC (I hate using
those initials cuz it reminds me of a 2nd rate thrash band from the
late 80's but it's too long to write out all the time but since I've
just written all this crap, I should have just written it) cuz they're
very political. A little too precious in their matching suits maybe
but they were decent. MCD can be very good, but they were dull in
Boston on Sat. ATDI fluctuate for me every time but you can't deny
their energy and I *think* you'd like it. If you haven't seen a
show for a while, I say go.

Joanie

Staniforth

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00

Joanie <joa...@wmbr.mit.edu> wrote in message

> In article <IeQI5.12787$HM6....@news.magma.ca>
> "Staniforth" <jbsNO_SP...@magma.ca> writes:
>
> > All said bands are sort of lame, but they're playing with Bluetip and
one
> > other and it's only $12, which is reasonable. And I'm not doing anything
> > else.
> >
> > Anyone got a suggestion? Preferably those who know my musical tastes. I
hear
> > they all put on good enough shows, so it might be worth it just for
that.
> > I'm missing Veda Hille on tuesday because of my 2nd last shift at the
stupid
> > fucking cafe, so I should make up for that somehow.
>

> I wrote most of this in another post but here it is again.
> I think you should go. You'll get a kick out of INC (I hate using
> those initials cuz it reminds me of a 2nd rate thrash band from the
> late 80's but it's too long to write out all the time but since I've
> just written all this crap, I should have just written it) cuz they're
> very political. A little too precious in their matching suits maybe
> but they were decent. MCD can be very good, but they were dull in
> Boston on Sat. ATDI fluctuate for me every time but you can't deny
> their energy and I *think* you'd like it. If you haven't seen a
> show for a while, I say go.

Okay. With a recommendation, I think I shall go.

D-Kline

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00
>At the Drive In put on an awesome show. Even a non-fan can appreciate
>the power and intensity. I say go for it. Im going to try to see them
>this Saturday here in NY.

I'll be at that show, but I don't think we get (I)NC
with the rest. We get Bluetip, MCD, ATDI.

Davdi

D-Kline

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00
to Staniforth
>All said bands are sort of lame, but they're playing with Bluetip and one
>other and it's only $12, which is reasonable. And I'm not doing anything
>else.
>
>Anyone got a suggestion? Preferably those who know my musical tastes. I hear
>they all put on good enough shows, so it might be worth it just for that.

Jesse, GO to this show. I think all these bands are great, especially
live. Also, don't the politics of INC appeal to you?

David

Staniforth

Oct 24, 2000, 12:27:03 AM10/24/00

D-Kline <dwk...@ic.sunysb.edu> wrote in message

> >All said bands are sort of lame, but they're playing with Bluetip and one
> >other and it's only $12, which is reasonable. And I'm not doing anything
> >else.
> >
> >Anyone got a suggestion? Preferably those who know my musical tastes. I
hear
> >they all put on good enough shows, so it might be worth it just for that.
>
> Jesse, GO to this show. I think all these bands are great, especially
> live. Also, don't the politics of INC appeal to you?

Ha! So you appear again. Apparently you still owe Jim money... he kept
moaning about that when I was in NYC. Ha, ha.

Anyway, I went, and had a great time. Wasn't so into INC, but I'm
hunkey-dorey with their politics. I'm also hunkey-dorey with ATDI's
politics, which were really cool. They put on an amazing show. I had a great
time.

j.

Staniforth

Oct 24, 2000, 12:43:24 AM10/24/00

Staniforth <jbsNO_SP...@magma.ca> wrote in message

> Joanie <joa...@wmbr.mit.edu> wrote in message
> > I wrote most of this in another post but here it is again.
> > I think you should go. You'll get a kick out of INC (I hate using
> > those initials cuz it reminds me of a 2nd rate thrash band from the
> > late 80's but it's too long to write out all the time but since I've
> > just written all this crap, I should have just written it) cuz they're
> > very political. A little too precious in their matching suits maybe
> > but they were decent. MCD can be very good, but they were dull in
> > Boston on Sat. ATDI fluctuate for me every time but you can't deny
> > their energy and I *think* you'd like it. If you haven't seen a
> > show for a while, I say go.
>

> Okay. With a recommendation, I think I shall go.

I went, and had a great evening.

Waited around for D. Troy Cochrane to show up, since he was in town to
protest the G-20 and had been at a demo where I knew there had been a fair
amount of violence, pepper spray, Montreal riot pigs (believe me, if you
know this city you wouldn't even call them "cops") in full suit, and horses,
but he sort of disappeared. I left co-ordinates on my answering machine and
took off to the show.

Didn't see much of INC, since I was stuck at the doorway as the debit card
machine decided it liked my card so much that it would hold onto it for
about 20 minutes without clearing my money or cancelling the transaction. I
thought their suits were silly and their music wasn't totally my bag, but
now that I think about it, the fact that they're using a rock video to get
out situationist ideas is kind of neat.

I really didn't expect to like Murder City Devils, and, well... musically,
they didn't do much for me. Especially since their buffoon of a guitarist
looked like he'd just come from having dental work done under laughing gas--
quite the guitar-face poser with a combination smirk & continual open
mouth'd drool and spit thing i found too put on to be amused by. But while
the music was sort of boring, it was compensated for by the apparent risk of
the lead singer severely injuring himself at any instant, which made it much
more watchable. Add to that the bassist's crowd-pleasing response to a
heckler throwing paper cups and yelling "you suck" (in which he reminded him
that no matter how much they sucked, they were getting paid on his dollar,
and then threatened to come to McDonalds and throw cups at heckler while he
worked), and I ended up liking them after all. Not so into their music,
sure, but they seemed to be intent on having a great time and playing their
hearts out no matter what, which was super cool.

Somehwhere around here, Troy arrived, saying that he never wanted to be that
close to people being pepper sprayed again. Might I just add that while I've
grown fucking sick of the stupid close-minded leftists and their bullshit, I
still hate the brutal, vicious police in this city and if by some chance of
fate their happens to be a Hell in this universe, I'll see them all there,
where I will thoroughly roger each and every one of them with the nightstick
and toilet plunger of justice.

What little I'd heard of ATDI I hadn't really liked, but I kind of like
their way of going about things, and I was impressed from the first when the
lead singer came out and talked to the audience before they played. The fact
that he sort of looked and sounded like Abbie Hoffman didn't count against
him in my book... he was a wiry, spastic little fucker and I instantly had
an affection for him. I don't see that many people on stage willing to throw
themselves around with such total abandon and disregard for twisted wrists
and ankles. The other large-haired dude, the guitarist, was just about as
nutso, and I liked that as well. They played for a good hour, then much to
my great and very pleased surprise, left without an encore, which made Troy
and I very happy. Very happy.

Then Troy and some Ottawan friends hopped into a car and took off, and I
came home.

Joanie

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
In article <mI3J5.13010$HM6....@news.magma.ca>
"Staniforth" <jbsNO_SP...@magma.ca> writes:

> Okay. With a recommendation, I think I shall go.

Uh oh, I hope it turns out decent at least.

Joanie

cuylerh...@my-deja.com

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00

> I'll be at that show, but I don't think we get (I)NC
> with the rest. We get Bluetip, MCD, ATDI.
>
> Davdi

Awesome! Maybe Ill see you there. My picture is on www.altpunk.com.

captain...@my-deja.com

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
I'm sorry -- did you say Murder City Devils are "lame"??? No - that
couldn't have been...there must be some misunderstanding.

I guess if you consider rock 'n' roll lame....

In article <IeQI5.12787$HM6....@news.magma.ca>,

> -- Pierre Elliott Trudeau

cuylerh...@my-deja.com

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00

> I guess if you consider rock 'n' roll lame....

Jessie listens to Disco.

Frank

"The blue is to light for television,
and someones been gunning for masks." -United Magnetics
http://www.angelfire.com/sk/loadedundies

Staniforth

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00

<captain...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> I'm sorry -- did you say Murder City Devils are "lame"??? No - that
> couldn't have been...there must be some misunderstanding.
>
> I guess if you consider rock 'n' roll lame....

No, I'm well past the time in my life where anyone dropping a few hundred
bucks on tattoos, a bullet belt, and a black die-job instantly checked out
as "rock and roll."

That said, I kind of enjoyed their set. I have "Empty Bottles Broken
Hearts," which is an okay album, but I wouldn't write home about it. Having
seen their live thing, though, I like them a little more-- even if I'm not
that excited by the record, I liked their attitude and they seemed to be
honestly enjoying themselves, which is good. Probably wouldn't pay more than
$5 to see them again, though.

> In article <IeQI5.12787$HM6....@news.magma.ca>,

D-Kline

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
>Anyway, I went, and had a great time. Wasn't so into INC, but I'm
>hunkey-dorey with their politics. I'm also hunkey-dorey with ATDI's
>politics, which were really cool. They put on an amazing show. I had a great
>time.

I didn't even know that ATDI had any politics. Whenever I
listen to their records, I'm too busy getting my ass kicked
all over the room to be able to worry about the lyrics.

>Ha! So you appear again. Apparently you still owe Jim money... he kept
>moaning about that when I was in NYC. Ha, ha.

I finally paid him, like over two months later.

David
--
Blessed are those too busy living life
To respond when they are wrongfully attacked.

D-Kline

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
to cuylerh...@my-deja.com
>> I'll be at that show, but I don't think we get (I)NC
>> with the rest. We get Bluetip, MCD, ATDI.
>>
>Awesome! Maybe Ill see you there. My picture is on www.altpunk.com.

My picture is up there on the meet-ups page- New Years Eve 2000.
I'm the ugly one with the feret on his face. I've lost the feret,
but I'm still ugly. I think Juliana Hatfield and I would make a
great couple. I'll be there with one of the tallest guys in the
audience.

David

Corey Barr

Oct 31, 2000, 6:45:49 PM10/31/00
On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:27:03 GMT, "Staniforth" <jbsNO_SP...@magma.ca>
wrote:

>Anyway, I went, and had a great time. Wasn't so into INC, but I'm
>hunkey-dorey with their politics. I'm also hunkey-dorey with ATDI's
>politics, which were really cool. They put on an amazing show. I had a great

Aren't their politics being emo?

--
Corey Barr
Hormel Fully Cooked Fast 'N Easy (R) Bacon

Staniforth

Oct 31, 2000, 7:38:40 PM10/31/00

Corey Barr <c.ba...@alumni.nyu.edu> wrote in message

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:27:03 GMT, "Staniforth"
<jbsNO_SP...@magma.ca>
> wrote:
>
> >Anyway, I went, and had a great time. Wasn't so into INC, but I'm
> >hunkey-dorey with their politics. I'm also hunkey-dorey with ATDI's
> >politics, which were really cool. They put on an amazing show. I had a
great

> Aren't their politics being emo?

I don't know-- they seemed pretty common sense about things, and they were
funny. What stage banter they had was really smart. I like their no-meathead
policy, as I like Fugazi's similar meathead free attitude.