the infections

12 views
Skip to first unread message

john lowe

unread,
Jul 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/22/96
to

Okay y'all, this is my first recommendation based on Crap-out '96.
If you like the Rip-offs, then you must go get The Infections 7" on
Rip-Off Records. It's Greg and Shane from the Rip-offs, plus Wesley who
was the last Rip-offs drummer and another guitarist whose name I don't
remember. From what I saw in Vegas, they're every bit as good and as
snotty as the Rip-offs. You will not be disappointed!
Oh yeah, Greg Lowery is a super cool guy as well. I was scared to meet him
but he was really friendly and funny as hell.
john

--
john, misteriomaniac
hip...@mail.utexas.edu
"I hate when stupid things ruin a perfect day"--Fastbacks
E-mail for info on All the Rage

Chris Alfieri

unread,
Jul 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/22/96
to

hip...@mail.utexas.edu (john lowe) writes:

>Okay y'all, this is my first recommendation based on Crap-out '96.
>If you like the Rip-offs, then you must go get The Infections 7" on
>Rip-Off Records. It's Greg and Shane from the Rip-offs, plus Wesley who
>was the last Rip-offs drummer and another guitarist whose name I don't
>remember. From what I saw in Vegas, they're every bit as good and as
>snotty as the Rip-offs. You will not be disappointed!
>Oh yeah, Greg Lowery is a super cool guy as well. I was scared to meet him
>but he was really friendly and funny as hell.
>john

I agree with John, this single is really great, go get it. The music is
rockin' and the cover is cool as hell. Hopefully they'll
waste no time in putting out an LP. Why were you so scared to meet Greg?

how were the Drags and the Makers? Hopefully some of these bands will come
east!!

-chris a


john lowe

unread,
Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96
to

In article <4t11af$8...@romulus.rutgers.edu>, alf...@romulus.rutgers.edu
(Chris Alfieri) wrote:

> hip...@mail.utexas.edu (john lowe) writes:
>
> >Okay y'all, this is my first recommendation based on Crap-out '96.
> >If you like the Rip-offs, then you must go get The Infections 7" on

> >Rip-Off Records. From what I saw in Vegas, they're every bit as good and as


> >snotty as the Rip-offs. You will not be disappointed!
> >Oh yeah, Greg Lowery is a super cool guy as well. I was scared to meet him
> >but he was really friendly and funny as hell.
> >john
>
> I agree with John, this single is really great, go get it. The music is
> rockin' and the cover is cool as hell. Hopefully they'll
> waste no time in putting out an LP.

Actually, when I asked Greg about it, he said it will be a while off
(actually, he laughed for a while first). They have a Registrators LP
coming out soon, and are working on Loli and the Chones as well.
Chris, don't I owe you a tape still? I taped a few of the shows, including
the Infections, the Drags and The Makers. e-mail if you want any of them.
(note-this special offer available to Chris and anyone else I owe tapes to
only...I'm not a trader!)


> Why were you so scared to meet Greg?

I insulted the last Rip-offs 7" in an e-mail (all I said is it wasn't as
good as the others...) and some people say he's an ass. I think he's funny
as hell and just says what he thinks.


>
> how were the Drags and the Makers? Hopefully some of these bands will come
> east!!

They both ruled!! The Makers really brought the house down on Friday
night, and it ended in cacophony and a broken drum set. The Drags played a
really long set and covered "Someone's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In
Tonight" (although they skipped Six and Change)
I don't know about any of them touring east, although the Drags have an
album set to come out, so maybe?

ATheodorou

unread,
Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96
to

The infections 7" is completely kick ass, bought it this morning, in fact,
sounds like the Rip-off's, except they're called the infections! Oh,
Yeah, and get hte Spoiled Brats 7", features people from Rip-Off's
Supercharge, those Surf chicks, etc.
A Drags record! Allright. And somebody mentioned Loli and the Chones.
I've heard a bit about them. Is ther a way to order their records direct,
because I can't find them at my local vinyl connections (Any of the
Newbury Comics in the Boston area). I bought the Loudmouths and Yellwo
scab through the mail and was quite please. They actually sent me extra
stuff because I sent them too much money.
any info on Loli and the Chones is appreciated. Sorry about my
Rambling.-Tasos

john lowe

unread,
Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96
to

In article <4t9iqk$g...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, atheo...@aol.com
(ATheodorou) wrote:

> The infections 7" is completely kick ass, bought it this morning, in fact,
> sounds like the Rip-off's, except they're called the infections!

basically, yes. i finally listened to it last night and it rocks way hard.
as good as the live show i caught.

> Oh, Yeah, and get hte Spoiled Brats 7", features people from Rip-Off's
> Supercharge, those Surf chicks, etc.

got em all, i think, except the MRR split. i was not aware of anyone from
Supercharger in the SB though. There's also The Fingers, an earlier
project of Shane and Jason White. A couple of their 7 inches have been
post-humously released recently. And the Tight Fits, another White
brothers band, are a bad joke.
btw, those surf chicks are the Trashwomen, who i guess have broken up
again except for their in other bands together now, including the
Bobbyteens on Super*Teem records and The Spastics, who don't have a record
deal to the best of my knowledge. I know Zab saw 'em with the Infections a
couple of weeks ago.

> A Drags record! Allright. And somebody mentioned Loli and the Chones.
> I've heard a bit about them. Is ther a way to order their records direct,
> because I can't find them at my local vinyl connections (Any of the
> Newbury Comics in the Boston area).

that i dunno. one 7" is on Repent and the other is on Rip-off. I heard
Rip-off is using Mordam now, so it should be easier to find their stuff. I
don't think Greg does direct orders though, but I guess you could try the
address on a rip-off record.

> any info on Loli and the Chones is appreciated.

They're from Irvine or Whittier or some such orange county area. Loli is
really cool, she stayed in my hotel room in vegas. She's 19 but almost
never got carded! Like I said above, they have a 7" on Repent, which she
gave me as payment but haven't heard yet although i hear it's real lo-fi
and a 7" on Rip-off, which has the great song "make-out party." They
recorded an album for Rip-off a couple of weeks ago and greg says he's
starting the mixing but I don't think it'll be out until 97. who knows?
the only other tidbit i know is chones means "dirty underwear" in spanish.

mike & zab

unread,
Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96
to

hey, what are rip-off # 1 and 2? do you have those john? i assume they're
out of print because they're not listed in mordam's catalogue.

<pout>
zab

mike & zab

unread,
Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96
to

atheo...@aol.com wrote:
>> The infections 7" is completely kick ass, bought it this morning, in fact,
>> sounds like the Rip-off's, except they're called the infections!

hip...@mail.utexas.edu (john lowe a.k.a. sappy smurf) wrote:
> basically, yes. i finally listened to it last night and it rocks way hard.
> as good as the live show i caught.

yep, i'd have to agree. the 7" does indeed rock way hard, just like seeing
them live. although, when i saw them they were having a fuck of alot of
problems with the mikes, the sound, everything (course this _was_ the
purple onion run by the legendary tom guido who is a freak!).

>> Oh, Yeah, and get hte Spoiled Brats 7", features people from Rip-Off's
>> Supercharge, those Surf chicks, etc.

> got em all, i think, except the MRR split.

mrr split of what bands?
what am i missing out on?

> i was not aware of anyone from
> Supercharger in the SB though. There's also The Fingers, an earlier
> project of Shane and Jason White. A couple of their 7 inches have been
> post-humously released recently. And the Tight Fits, another White
> brothers band, are a bad joke.

what label is releasing the fingers? is it as good as rip-offs/infections?

> btw, those surf chicks are the Trashwomen, who i guess have broken up
> again except for their in other bands together now, including the
> Bobbyteens on Super*Teem records and The Spastics, who don't have a record
> deal to the best of my knowledge. I know Zab saw 'em with the Infections a
> couple of weeks ago.

yep, the trashwomen have broken up. the one chick is in the spastics now,
and i know tina's in another band too (she cuts my hair sometimes!) but i
can't remember what they're called. personally, i wasn't really into the
spastics. well, that's not true-- i just didn't like what's-her-name's
voice. if they had a different singer i probably would've liked them alot.

> > A Drags record! Allright. And somebody mentioned Loli and the Chones.
> > I've heard a bit about them. Is ther a way to order their records direct,
> > because I can't find them at my local vinyl connections (Any of the
> > Newbury Comics in the Boston area).

> that i dunno. one 7" is on Repent and the other is on Rip-off. I heard
> Rip-off is using Mordam now, so it should be easier to find their stuff. I
> don't think Greg does direct orders though, but I guess you could try the
> address on a rip-off record.

yeah, i just got the rip-off one, and it's great! i'm sorry i didn't get
to see them play (they headlined the show the spastics & infections
played).
> john, misteriomaniac

hey john-- did i tell you i have an old mexican movie poster in my
bathroom for a movie called "el misterioso doctor satan"?

-zab

p.s. get the new problematics single too!

john lowe

unread,
Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96
to

In article <michael-3107...@ppp058-sf2.sirius.com>,

mic...@sirius.com (zab the rab) wrote:

> hey, what are rip-off # 1 and 2? do you have those john? i assume they're
> out of print because they're not listed in mordam's catalogue.

i think greg reprinted everything in the rip-off catalog finally because
he got sick of being bugged about it. I know that's how I caught up with a
lot of their releases.
God, I'm probably wrong here, but i think RO#1 is a 7" by the Statics and
RO#2 is Statics "Rat City" LP. I know that the first Rip-offs releases on
RO were #'s 3 and 4, with #4 "Make up your mind/Wild Jane" the best in my
opinion.
>
> <pout>
now, now, it'll be alright, they're still out there...I've seen them in Austin.
john

--
john, misteriomaniac
hip...@mail.utexas.edu
"I hate when stupid things ruin a perfect day"--Fastbacks

"Hey, bones heal, chicks dig scars and the US has the best doctor to daredevil ratio in the world!"--The Simpsons

john lowe

unread,
Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96
to

In article <michael-3107...@ppp058-sf2.sirius.com>,

mic...@sirius.com (mike & zab) wrote:

> atheo...@aol.com wrote:
> >> The infections 7" is completely kick ass, bought it this morning, in fact,
> >> sounds like the Rip-off's, except they're called the infections!
>
> hip...@mail.utexas.edu (john lowe a.k.a. sappy smurf) wrote:
> > basically, yes. i finally listened to it last night and it rocks way hard.
> > as good as the live show i caught.
>
> yep, i'd have to agree. the 7" does indeed rock way hard, just like seeing
> them live. although, when i saw them they were having a fuck of alot of
> problems with the mikes, the sound, everything (course this _was_ the
> purple onion run by the legendary tom guido who is a freak!).

they're always like that. they had a lot of problems in vegas too. plus
they were making fun of each other and took a couple of good cheap shots
at jon von too! that's part of the mystique, i suppose...put shane and
greg together and let's see what happens!

>
> >> Oh, Yeah, and get hte Spoiled Brats 7", features people from Rip-Off's
> >> Supercharge, those Surf chicks, etc.
>
> > got em all, i think, except the MRR split.
>
> mrr split of what bands?
> what am i missing out on?

there's an mrr split with Spoiled Brats on one side, but i don't remember
who is on the other side. and as Chris Alfieri says in another post, it's
impossible to find. They also have a record put out by Sooprize Package
zine from UK which isn't easy to find, but is still available from what I
heard. And of course a Rip-Off 7" I think that's it.


>
> > i was not aware of anyone from
> > Supercharger in the SB though. There's also The Fingers, an earlier
> > project of Shane and Jason White. A couple of their 7 inches have been
> > post-humously released recently. And the Tight Fits, another White
> > brothers band, are a bad joke.
>
> what label is releasing the fingers? is it as good as rip-offs/infections?

one of the 7" is on either Rat City or Static records, whatever Zack is
calling his label these days. It's a demo they recorded in 1990 to get
some shows and is now being pressed onto vinyl. it's good but not as good
as SB, RO or Infections. but it does have some funny pictures of shane
white with a cheesy moustahce on front.


>
> > btw, those surf chicks are the Trashwomen, who i guess have broken up
> > again except for their in other bands together now, including the
> > Bobbyteens on Super*Teem records and The Spastics, who don't have a record
> > deal to the best of my knowledge. I know Zab saw 'em with the Infections a
> > couple of weeks ago.
>
> yep, the trashwomen have broken up. the one chick is in the spastics now,

yeah, that's elka, who was also in spoiled brats. she's on-line so don't
trash her too hard! ;^)

> and i know tina's in another band too (she cuts my hair sometimes!)

wow! that is so totally cool! except i don't know how i'd be able to react
since i've seen pictures of tina topless.

>but i can't remember what they're called. personally, i wasn't really into the
> spastics. well, that's not true-- i just didn't like what's-her-name's
> voice. if they had a different singer i probably would've liked them alot.

elka. see above.



> > > A Drags record! Allright. And somebody mentioned Loli and the Chones.
> > > I've heard a bit about them. Is ther a way to order their records direct,
> > > because I can't find them at my local vinyl connections (Any of the
> > > Newbury Comics in the Boston area).
>
> > that i dunno. one 7" is on Repent and the other is on Rip-off. I heard
> > Rip-off is using Mordam now, so it should be easier to find their stuff. I
> > don't think Greg does direct orders though, but I guess you could try the
> > address on a rip-off record.
>
> yeah, i just got the rip-off one, and it's great! i'm sorry i didn't get
> to see them play (they headlined the show the spastics & infections
> played).

ya oughta see them next time. michelle (loli) is a really cool person,
really funny! Have i mentioned that "chones' means dirty underwear?
anyway, i know loli plays around LA a lot but i dunno about sf
appearances. i guess greg will probably try and book them again. they
should have an LP on rip-off in about 6 months. before that is the
registrators LP and tour in november!



> hey john-- did i tell you i have an old mexican movie poster in my
> bathroom for a movie called "el misterioso doctor satan"?

that's pretty cool! it'd be cooler if it were an el santo poster.
did i tell you i have a poster with a picture of johnny motard saying
"straight edge in your face motherfucker" with x's drawn on his hands?
it's from when they played with los crudos. funny stuff.

> -zab
>
> p.s. get the new problematics single too!

I'm waiting until i find that "special" one with some extra squiggly lines
on the b-side. ask yer pals at mordam for more details. i'm not gonna say
anymore, although the cat is out of the bag about the limited edition.

Kyle K Koza

unread,
Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96
to

On 2 Aug 1996, john lowe wrote:

> > > got em all, i think, except the MRR split.
> >
> > mrr split of what bands?
> > what am i missing out on?
>
> there's an mrr split with Spoiled Brats on one side, but i don't remember
> who is on the other side. and as Chris Alfieri says in another post, it's
> impossible to find.

Buttafuoco is on the other side. Great stuff from both bands, although I
liked Buttaofuoco a little better.


Kyle


McKinley Richard

unread,
Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96
to

Kyle K Koza wrote:
>

> Buttafuoco is on the other side. Great stuff from both bands, although I
> liked Buttaofuoco a little better.
>
> Kyle

That's funny, I thought the Spoiled Brats' songs were so amazing
that I never even listened to the other band. My friend did the same
thing.

-McKinley Richard

a...@ix.netcom.com

unread,
Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96
to

>> Buttafuoco is on the other side. Great stuff from both bands,
although I
>> liked Buttaofuoco a little better.
>>
>> Kyle
>
>That's funny, I thought the Spoiled Brats' songs were so amazing
>that I never even listened to the other band. My friend did the same
>thing.
>

i like the spoiled brats songs more too, but i liked buttafuoco, what
else do they have out??
mohr

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages