American Fantasy Press launches Kickstarter to put Hannes Bok fantasies into hardcover

Robert Garcia

Sep 7, 2019, 11:50:03 PM9/7/19
The Fantastic Fiction of Hannes Bok: Three Fantasies by Bok

For two years I've been working on a project that got more interesting the further I got into it. Hannes Bok was one of the 20th Century's best sf-fantasy-weird fiction artists. He was a painter with an eye for beautiful colors and flowing compositions in a time when sf art was very literal and staid. His paintings featured stylized figures, colors by Parrish, and a creative imagination that could only be Bok's. And he could not be confined to one discipline in his creativity, there were paintings and line work, poetry and sculpture, intricate wood carvings and—of special interest here—fantasy novels: The Sorcerer's Ship, Beyond the Golden Stair and Starstone World.

These aren't your conventional fantasies, although all the trappings are there. They have a sly humor with plots full of twists and turns, stories which take the reader on strange metaphysical paths, and glorious descriptions that could only come from someone with a painter's eye. Certainly not the most smoothly told tales, but as Lester Del Rey wrote about Beyond the Golden Stair: "in spite of its faults, it has the sense of enchantment so rarely found in most market fantasy. And since our world needs the glamor at least as much as it ever did, let us lose no chance."

Here's your chance to experience that glamor. All three of these books have been out-of-print for at least 48 years. That's too long. They have been left behind, and should be part of the legacy of Hannes Bok, and part of the discussion of early 20th Century fantastic fiction.

None of these books had ever been collected in hardcover before, which just added to my passion to publish this book. The Fantastic Fiction of Hannes Bok will act as an introduction to and a celebration of one of the most interesting writers and artists in the world of fantasy. Please help us make this happen. We really appreciate your support in getting these American fantasies into the 21st Century.

For More Information:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/565278014/the-fantastic-fiction-of-hannes-bok-three-fantasies-by-bok