Pulp Masterpieces part one: The Shadow

tsto...@rocketmail.com

Mar 22, 2017, 3:39:19 PM3/22/17
Not sure if this would be of interest to anyone here (And apologies if the post is not appropriate.) but I wrote an article regarding The Shadow motion picture.

http://www.agonybooth.com/pulp-masterpieces-part-1-the-shadow-1994-53696

Joe Pfeiffer

Mar 22, 2017, 8:03:16 PM3/22/17
Very nice review! Something you touch on near the end is Baldwin's
portrayal of Lamont Cranston. One thing I felt the movie got wrong was
following the radio show and having the Shadow be Cranston -- I'd much
have preferred to have had it follow the pulps' lead and have the Shadow
"borrow" Cranston's identity. The scene with the Shadow explaining to
Cranston that he is going to be allowing the substitution would have
brought in all the dark side of the Shadow you could possibly have
wished for.

Kent Allard

Mar 22, 2017, 9:18:38 PM3/22/17
In article <5bde3d53-2bf9-4e8e...@googlegroups.com>,
A pretty good review. I was like you in reverse. I was a big fan of the pulp
version of the Shadow, although I had a nodding acquaintance with the radio
show. I loved certain parts of the movie while hating others. In particular, I
hated this version of the Margo Lane character. Ditzy blonde wasn't in the radio
show or the pulp, and the stupid psychic powers angle was worse than the power
to "cloud men's minds". I also resented the humour that was injected. Don't get
me wrong, I love humour when used at the right moment, but when the two
adversaries start discussing neck ties I lost it.

After seeing most of the other film versions of the Shadow, I'd have to say this
was one of the best, but like Joe Pfeiffer said, there were other, better
options available that they didn't pursue.
--
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts and minds of men? The Shadow do!
--Flip Wilson

Joe Morris

May 19, 2017, 9:33:51 AM5/19/17
Not so long ago, Kent Allard wrote:
> In article <5bde3d53-2bf9-4e8e...@googlegroups.com>,
> tsto...@rocketmail.com wrote:

> > Not sure if this would be of interest to anyone here (And apologies if the
> > post is not appropriate.) but I wrote an article regarding The Shadow motion
> > picture.
> >
> > http://www.agonybooth.com/pulp-masterpieces-part-1-the-shadow-1994-53696

> A pretty good review. I was like you in reverse. I was a big fan of the pulp
> version of the Shadow, although I had a nodding acquaintance with the radio
> show. I loved certain parts of the movie while hating others. In particular, I
> hated this version of the Margo Lane character. Ditzy blonde wasn't in the radio
> show or the pulp, and the stupid psychic powers angle was worse than the power

Yep! My biggest problem with the movie too. What a missed opportunity, this could
have been the definitive update of the Shadow

> to "cloud men's minds". I also resented the humour that was injected. Don't get
> me wrong, I love humour when used at the right moment, but when the two
> adversaries start discussing neck ties I lost it.

> After seeing most of the other film versions of the Shadow, I'd have to say this
> was one of the best, but like Joe Pfeiffer said, there were other, better
> options available that they didn't pursue.

Thanks for posting the review -- sorry I'm so late in seeing it!

--
Joe Morris Atlanta history blog
jol...@gmail.com http://atlhistory.com