Well, back to dialup

1 view

cgr...@kc.rr.com

Dec 14, 2005, 9:58:21 AM12/14/05
ONe more step in the move to the house in the woods.
It changed radically once the leaves dropped: Our neighbors, who we
couldn't see at all from spring through late October now show
themselves as living less than a hundred yards away. And we now have a
splendid view of the gravel road. The view is pretty cool, and we
don't mind the dimished privacy as it's now too cold to go out skyclad.
Neighbors and friends have told us that we really ought to get some
firearms for freezer-stocking: a wild turkey went walking not ten yards
from a friend who went to the treeline to answer nature's call, and
we've seen deer spoor in the backyard (for the record, HIppie and I are
deeply morally opposed to sport hunting, but see no problem with
hunting for food)
Oh, the reply address probably won't work: I didn't change it, but I'm
losing the roadrunner account.
KCSteelplayer at AOL should get the job done for a little while, but
not for too long: AOL insists on driving customers away (no port 25
traffic, killed their newsfeed, and refuses to support networking for
dialup customers-I do not accept that Hippie and I must take turns at
the net just because we've moved to the country).
I'm looking at a couple of mom-and-pop ISPs, we've had good luck with
little guys before.

Kimberly Chapman

Dec 18, 2005, 5:08:54 AM12/18/05
cgr...@kc.rr.com wrote in <1134572301.699815.164610
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>:

>It changed radically once the leaves dropped

I bet that looked lovely! Man, I miss proper trees! :D

> (for the record, HIppie and I are
>deeply morally opposed to sport hunting, but see no problem with
>hunting for food)

Yeah, I'm with you on both counts. Well, I know I couldn't ever actually
stomach hunting my own food, not unless it was some kind of dire situation
where my baby needed me to do it for her survival, y'know? But I'm not the
least bit offended by people hunting for food. I just don't wanna watch.
:)

I admit to being a total hypocrite who needs someone else to kill my meat
for me! I don't wanna see it with the eye still on!

>I do not accept that Hippie and I must take turns at
>the net just because we've moved to the country).

Hell no! Barbaric, that'd be! Egad!

>I'm looking at a couple of mom-and-pop ISPs, we've had good luck with
>little guys before.

Well let us know when you have a more permanent email account, and I'll
change my address book then. Otherwise I know I can find you here. :)

--
-- Kimberly Chapman, author, crafter, left-wing activist
kimb...@kimberlychapman.com

Daniel Glick

Dec 20, 2005, 8:50:20 PM12/20/05
cgr...@kc.rr.com wrote:
[snip]
> (no port 25
> traffic,

Honestly, these days you're going to have a hard time finding anyone who
allows port 25 traffic. I imagine you might have more flexiblity with a
Mom & Pop, however. Good luck!

--
My e-mail is dan, not news http://www.danielglick.com
"No self-respecting liberal should want everyone to be a liberal."

cgr...@kc.rr.com

Dec 21, 2005, 8:26:03 AM12/21/05

Daniel Glick wrote:
> cgr...@kc.rr.com wrote:
> [snip]
> > (no port 25
> > traffic,
>
> Honestly, these days you're going to have a hard time finding anyone who
> allows port 25 traffic. I imagine you might have more flexiblity with a
> Mom & Pop, however. Good luck!

And presumably a bit more assistance than I've gotten from roadrunner
(whom I've stopped paying, only corporate inertia keeps the mail alive)
in making 587 work.

We've worked with the mom and pop ISPs before, and found them pretty
good.

Lane, who's currently a bit disappointed with news.aioe.org, it spends
more down-time than up. Maybe I'll pony up the money for a paid news
account.

Kimberly Chapman

Dec 26, 2005, 4:22:30 AM12/26/05
cgr...@kc.rr.com wrote in <1135171563.677250.175380
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>:

>Lane, who's currently a bit disappointed with news.aioe.org, it spends
>more down-time than up. Maybe I'll pony up the money for a paid news
>account.

Or you could just use Google Groups for the time being. It ain't perfect
but it's not half bad.

Lane Gray, Czar Castic

Dec 27, 2005, 3:14:54 PM12/27/05
On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 03:22:30 -0600, Kimberly Chapman
<kimb...@kimberlychapman.com> wrote:

> Or you could just use Google Groups for the time being. It ain't perfect
> but it's not half bad.

Yeah, but I don't much care for the interface, so I'll use dejagoogle for
reading, and put replies in via the aioeswerver.