What Jesus said about sinners ...

91 views
Skip to first unread message

Mike

unread,
Sep 17, 2022, 1:00:31 PMSep 17
to
◄ Luke 5:32 ►

I have not come to call the righteous,
but to protect sinners.

Steven Douglas

unread,
Sep 18, 2022, 3:00:39 AMSep 18
to
That's an interesting translation. I don't think I've ever seen that one
before. Which translation is it?

Mike

unread,
Sep 18, 2022, 4:06:31 AMSep 18
to
Mikes Own Personal Translation (MOPT)
It seemed I found so many diverging translations
I thought it best to make up my own.

Steven Douglas

unread,
Sep 18, 2022, 2:34:10 PMSep 18
to
On Sunday, September 18, 2022 at 1:06:31 AM UTC-7, Mike wrote:
> On Sunday, 18 September 2022 at 00:00:39 UTC-7, Steven Douglas wrote:
> > On Saturday, September 17, 2022 at 10:00:31 AM UTC-7, Mike wrote:
> > >
> > > ◄ Luke 5:32 ►
> > >
> > > I have not come to call the righteous,
> > > but to protect sinners.
>
> > That's an interesting translation. I don't think I've ever seen that one
> > before. Which translation is it?
>
> Mikes Own Personal Translation (MOPT)

I've seen you do this before. You change the meaning of the Bible
verse you're quoting, and then try to make an argument about the
Bible based on your error.
>
> It seemed I found so many diverging translations

When that happens, it's best to go back to the original language
of the Biblical text and see what it says. In this case, most
translations say "repentance" of sinners, not "protect" sinners.
>
> I thought it best to make up my own.

I don't think it's a good idea to change the meaning of the Bible.
I think you're playing with fire.

Mike

unread,
Sep 18, 2022, 5:09:24 PMSep 18
to
On Sunday, 18 September 2022 at 11:34:10 UTC-7, Steven Douglas wrote:
> On Sunday, September 18, 2022 at 1:06:31 AM UTC-7, Mike wrote:
> > On Sunday, 18 September 2022 at 00:00:39 UTC-7, Steven Douglas wrote:
> > > On Saturday, September 17, 2022 at 10:00:31 AM UTC-7, Mike wrote:
> > > >
> > > > ◄ Luke 5:32 ►
> > > >
> > > > I have not come to call the righteous,
> > > > but to protect sinners.
> >
> > > That's an interesting translation. I don't think I've ever seen that one
> > > before. Which translation is it?
> >
> > Mikes Own Personal Translation (MOPT)
> I've seen you do this before. You change the meaning of the Bible
> verse you're quoting, and then try to make an argument about the
> Bible based on your error.

What exactly about my translation is an 'error'. Isn't that
what Jesus came for? To save the sinners from hell?

> >
> > It seemed I found so many diverging translations
> When that happens, it's best to go back to the original language
> of the Biblical text and see what it says. In this case, most
> translations say "repentance" of sinners, not "protect" sinners.

It doesn't matter what it says. What matters most is
what he DOES!!


> >
> > I thought it best to make up my own.
> I don't think it's a good idea to change the meaning of the Bible.
> I think you're playing with fire.

Absolutely nothing has changed. I just made it
more clear to understand. Tell me, you are a sinner.
You said so yourself? Wasn't Jesus sent to protect
you from the consequences of your shortcomings?
If not, what is his purpose then?

Steven Douglas

unread,
Sep 18, 2022, 5:20:33 PMSep 18
to
On Sunday, September 18, 2022 at 2:09:24 PM UTC-7, Mike wrote:
> On Sunday, 18 September 2022 at 11:34:10 UTC-7, Steven Douglas wrote:
> > On Sunday, September 18, 2022 at 1:06:31 AM UTC-7, Mike wrote:
> > > On Sunday, 18 September 2022 at 00:00:39 UTC-7, Steven Douglas wrote:
> > > > On Saturday, September 17, 2022 at 10:00:31 AM UTC-7, Mike wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > ◄ Luke 5:32 ►
> > > > >
> > > > > I have not come to call the righteous,
> > > > > but to protect sinners.
> > >
> > > > That's an interesting translation. I don't think I've ever seen that one
> > > > before. Which translation is it?
> > >
> > > Mikes Own Personal Translation (MOPT)
>
> > I've seen you do this before. You change the meaning of the Bible
> > verse you're quoting, and then try to make an argument about the
> > Bible based on your error.
>
> What exactly about my translation is an 'error'. Isn't that
> what Jesus came for? To save the sinners from hell?

They need to repent for that protection. It isn't just bestowed
on sinners who don't repent.
>
> > > It seemed I found so many diverging translations
>
> > When that happens, it's best to go back to the original language
> > of the Biblical text and see what it says. In this case, most
> > translations say "repentance" of sinners, not "protect" sinners.
>
> It doesn't matter what it says. What matters most is
> what he DOES!!

Yes, AFTER you repent.
>
> > > I thought it best to make up my own.
>
> > I don't think it's a good idea to change the meaning of the Bible.
> > I think you're playing with fire.
>
> Absolutely nothing has changed. I just made it
> more clear to understand. Tell me, you are a sinner.
> You said so yourself?

Yes, and I realized I needed to repent. That word "repentance"
comes first, and the protection comes after you repent.
>
> Wasn't Jesus sent to protect
> you from the consequences of your shortcomings?

Yes, but you don't get to just go on sinning and expect to
be protected. It's really not very difficult to understand.
>
> If not, what is his purpose then?

His purpose was to overcome the world. He has done so
in so many ways. Before Jesus, this world was a horrible
place. We would not have the societies we have if Jesus
never existed. All you have to do is look at societies that
have rejected Jesus, and if you're honest about it, you will
see what I mean.

Mike

unread,
Sep 18, 2022, 5:58:14 PMSep 18
to
For by grace you have been saved through faith;
and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
<Ephesians 2:8-9>

But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works,
otherwise grace is no longer grace.
Romans 11:6

That sounds like a free ride to me. I would prefer
to see a change in their behavior.

> >
> > > > I thought it best to make up my own.
> >
> > > I don't think it's a good idea to change the meaning of the Bible.
> > > I think you're playing with fire.
> >
> > Absolutely nothing has changed. I just made it
> > more clear to understand. Tell me, you are a sinner.
> > You said so yourself?
> Yes, and I realized I needed to repent. That word "repentance"
> comes first, and the protection comes after you repent.

Repentance is just an excuse, just a copout to avoid
transformative action. Jesus indicated that by his
grace you are saved and NOT by your works.


> >
> > Wasn't Jesus sent to protect
> > you from the consequences of your shortcomings?
> Yes, but you don't get to just go on sinning and expect to
> be protected. It's really not very difficult to understand.

Jesus said you are saved by his GRACE and NOT by
your works.



> >
> > If not, what is his purpose then?
> His purpose was to overcome the world. He has done so
> in so many ways. Before Jesus, this world was a horrible
> place.

Why are you alive then? You strike strike me as a *HORRIBLE*
individual. Whatever Jesus did, seems like it doesn't always catch.

>:We would not have the societies we have if Jesus
> never existed.

In many ways, I think that would be a GOOD thing.
You are no example of anyone's utopia.


>All you have to do is look at societies that
> have rejected Jesus, and if you're honest about it, you will
> see what I mean.

All I have to do is look AT YOU !!!

Steven Douglas

unread,
Sep 18, 2022, 7:16:41 PMSep 18
to
Anyone who truly accepts Jesus into his or her heart has a
change of behavior. If they do NOT have that change of behavior,
they have not really accepted Jesus into their heart.

Mike

unread,
Sep 18, 2022, 7:19:20 PMSep 18
to
What changes in behavior have you changed in the past
20 years? Lett's see your list, something we have all
seen. I haven't seen any.

Steven Douglas

unread,
Sep 18, 2022, 8:01:22 PMSep 18
to
On Sunday, September 18, 2022 at 4:19:20 PM UTC-7, Mike wrote:
>
> What changes in behavior have you changed in the past
> 20 years? Lett's see your list, something we have all
> seen. I haven't seen any.

I feel no need to prove anything to you. I wear it as a badge
of honor that you hate me. The Bible has taught me that I
would encounter people such as you. Did you know that
the Bible tells us of people such as you, Mike?

“Blessed are you when people hate you and when they exclude
you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of
the Son of Man!" Luke 6:22


Mike

unread,
Sep 18, 2022, 8:42:57 PMSep 18
to
On Sunday, 18 September 2022 at 17:01:22 UTC-7, Steven Douglas wrote:
> On Sunday, September 18, 2022 at 4:19:20 PM UTC-7, Mike wrote:
> >
> > What changes in behavior have you changed in the past
> > 20 years? Lett's see your list, something we have all
> > seen. I haven't seen any.
> I feel no need to prove anything to you.

No need to prove what we can all see.
You haven't changed ANYTHING!


> I wear it as a badge
> of honor that you hate me.

I know. That's why you come here everyday, just to *USE US*,
because you like 'badges'. ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!!!



> The Bible has taught me that I
> would encounter people such as you.

Yes, especially when you go LOOKING for them.


>Did you know that
> the Bible tells us of people such as you, Mike?

You are all confused. The Bible doesn't tell US, it tells YOU.
If I am tempting you, then why are you engaging? Why don't
you just ask God to lead you away from evil?


>
> “Blessed are you when people hate you and when they exclude
> you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of
> the Son of Man!" Luke 6:22

I think that is a warped and twisted SICKNESS!!





Thomas

unread,
Sep 22, 2022, 9:21:12 PMSep 22
to
You do not accept Jesus. Jesus accepts you.

Steven Douglas

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 1:46:44 AMSep 23
to
Well, as a matter of fact, yes I do.
>
> Jesus accepts you.

Thank you, that's very comforting.

Mike

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 1:40:55 PMSep 23
to
It must be very difficult for him.


Steven Douglas

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 3:46:42 PMSep 23
to
Difficult for Thomas to say that Jesus accepts me? I doubt it,
Thomas obviously knows how Jesus works. I like Thomas,
he's a good man. I hope he continues to post here often.
Do you think he might?

Mike

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 4:43:39 PMSep 23
to
You knew exactly what I meant. It is difficult for
ANYONE to accept you, and that must include
Jesus.


>I doubt it,
> Thomas obviously knows how Jesus works. I like Thomas,
> he's a good man. I hope he continues to post here often.
> Do you think he might?

I haven't a clue who Thomas is. For all I know it could be
another of JTEM's or Docs alters.

JTEM is Magic

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 5:29:20 PMSep 23
to

Mike wrote:

> I haven't a clue who Thomas is. For all I know it could be
> another of JTEM's or Docs alters.


JTEM has no alters. I'd love to see any post you think might be
JTEM hiding behind a sock puppet.




-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/696159783196246016

Mike

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 5:40:52 PMSep 23
to
On Friday, 23 September 2022 at 14:29:20 UTC-7, JTEM is Magic wrote:
> Mike wrote:
>
> > I haven't a clue who Thomas is. For all I know it could be
> > another of JTEM's or Docs alters.
> JTEM has no alters. I'd love to see any post you think might be
> JTEM hiding behind a sock puppet.

One of the primary reasons for choosing an alter is to disguise
one's identity. Are you saying JTEM is that incompetent that he
couldn't do that if he had a desire? I think it is always wise to
assume while on the internet that anyone can be just about
anything.


>
>
>
>
> -- --
>
> https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/696159783196246016

JTEM is Magic

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 6:00:42 PMSep 23
to
Mike wrote:

> One of the primary reasons for choosing an alter is to disguise
> one's identity. Are you saying JTEM is that incompetent that he
> couldn't do that if he had a desire? I think it is always wise to
> assume while on the internet that anyone can be just about
> anything.

"JTEM" are literally my initials:

J.T.E.M.

As I've said in the past, when I was younger I was tempted to
reverse the order of the middle names so I could be "JET."

Cool beans, or what?

If you think there's a sock puppet out there that's mine, I would
love for you to point it out.






-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/696159783196246016

Mike

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 6:48:45 PMSep 23
to
I remember a while back you were changing names so often, I couldn't
begin to list all the handles you've used.




>
>
>
>
>
>
> -- --
>
> https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/696159783196246016

JTEM is Magic

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 7:38:55 PMSep 23
to
Mike wrote:

> I remember a while back you were changing names so often, I couldn't
> begin to list all the handles you've used.

All of them using the exact same email address. No attempt to hide.
Mostly they were jokes...

I remember:

"Carpet for Jesus."

That one was for poking fun at the religious Reich.

"The Gay Savior/Queer Messiah"

That one was trying to one-up a poster, some troll, I forget what they
were calling themselves. They wanted to create a gay break-away
state... Thracia... Gaydonia?

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.politics.homosexuality/c/QA3MtJX1xRY/m/8OLO_l3LcAQJ

Ah, good times...

Not really.






-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/652829956648386560

Mike

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 8:12:27 PMSep 23
to
On Friday, 23 September 2022 at 16:38:55 UTC-7, JTEM is Magic wrote:
> Mike wrote:
>
> > I remember a while back you were changing names so often, I couldn't
> > begin to list all the handles you've used.
> All of them using the exact same email address. No attempt to hide.
> Mostly they were jokes...

Exactly what I was telling Steven.
It's sometimes hard to differentiate a joke
from what's real.

Steven Douglas

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 8:32:37 PMSep 23
to
On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 5:12:27 PM UTC-7, Mike wrote:
> On Friday, 23 September 2022 at 16:38:55 UTC-7, JTEM is Magic wrote:
> > Mike wrote:
> >
> > > I remember a while back you were changing names so often, I couldn't
> > > begin to list all the handles you've used.
>
> > All of them using the exact same email address. No attempt to hide.
> > Mostly they were jokes...
>
> Exactly what I was telling Steven.

You were telling me something about sock puppets? I don't
remember that, can you show me what you said? Because
the last thing I remember you saying to me was that you
didn't have a clue who Thomas is, and for all you know it
could be another of JTEM's or Doc's alters. Are you saying
you were just joking about that?
>
> It's sometimes hard to differentiate a joke
> from what's real.

That's why I know you were joking about Thomas having
difficulty saying Jesus accepts me! I can tell that Thomas
knows Jesus. Thomas is a good man, isn't he?

Mike

unread,
Sep 24, 2022, 12:09:14 AMSep 24
to
On Friday, 23 September 2022 at 17:32:37 UTC-7, Steven Douglas wrote:
> On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 5:12:27 PM UTC-7, Mike wrote:
> > On Friday, 23 September 2022 at 16:38:55 UTC-7, JTEM is Magic wrote:
> > > Mike wrote:
> > >
> > > > I remember a while back you were changing names so often, I couldn't
> > > > begin to list all the handles you've used.
> >
> > > All of them using the exact same email address. No attempt to hide.
> > > Mostly they were jokes...
> >
> > Exactly what I was telling Steven.
> You were telling me something about sock puppets? I don't
> remember that, can you show me what you said?

You know EXACTLY what I said.


> Because
> the last thing I remember you saying to me was that you
> didn't have a clue who Thomas is, and for all you know it
> could be another of JTEM's or Doc's alters. Are you saying
> you were just joking about that?

I said what I said and so be it!



> >
> > It's sometimes hard to differentiate a joke
> > from what's real.
> That's why I know you were joking about Thomas having
> difficulty saying Jesus accepts me! I can tell that Thomas
> knows Jesus.

>Thomas is a good man, isn't he

Any friend of yourself is a fool of mine.



Mike

unread,
Sep 24, 2022, 12:12:39 AMSep 24
to
On Friday, 23 September 2022 at 17:32:37 UTC-7, Steven Douglas wrote:
These are Thomas words 'You do not accept Jesus'.
You missed that part. I am in agreement with that.
Why are you asking me to accept Jesus when Thomas
says you 'DO NOT'.


Steven Douglas

unread,
Sep 24, 2022, 7:59:29 PMSep 24
to
On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 9:09:14 PM UTC-7, Mike wrote:
> On Friday, 23 September 2022 at 17:32:37 UTC-7, Steven Douglas wrote:
> > On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 5:12:27 PM UTC-7, Mike wrote:
> > > On Friday, 23 September 2022 at 16:38:55 UTC-7, JTEM is Magic wrote:
> > > > Mike wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > I remember a while back you were changing names so often, I couldn't
> > > > > begin to list all the handles you've used.
> > >
> > > > All of them using the exact same email address. No attempt to hide.
> > > > Mostly they were jokes...
> > >
> > > Exactly what I was telling Steven.
>
> > You were telling me something about sock puppets? I don't
> > remember that, can you show me what you said?
>
> You know EXACTLY what I said.

Are you talking about what you said to JTEM? Because I saw what
you said to JTEM, and I thought it was sort of strange that you felt
the need to talk to him that way. Here, this is what happened:

You said to me, "I haven't a clue who Thomas is. For all I know it could
be another of JTEM's or Docs alters."

JTEM seemed to take exception to the idea that he might use alters,
and he said this to you: "JTEM has no alters. I'd love to see any post
you think might be JTEM hiding behind a sock puppet."

And then you said this to JTEM: "One of the primary reasons for
choosing an alter is to disguise one's identity. Are you saying JTEM
is that incompetent that he couldn't do that if he had a desire? I think
it is always wise to assume while on the internet that anyone can be
just about anything."

So even though JTEM came right out and told you that he didn't
use alters, you STILL insisted that he might use alters anyway.
Why did you do that?

Steven Douglas

unread,
Sep 24, 2022, 8:02:02 PMSep 24
to
I think Thomas was testing me to see how I'd react. I think
he wanted to see how I'd react to his challenge. I think I
passed the test with my reply.
>
> You missed that part.

No, I answered him correctly.
>
> I am in agreement with that.

With what?
>
> Why are you asking me to accept Jesus when Thomas
> says you 'DO NOT'.

But then Thomas said Jesus accepts me, so all is well. Isn't
that great? I am blessed beyond belief.

Mike

unread,
Sep 24, 2022, 8:44:07 PMSep 24
to
I wish you could say something that makes sense for a change.
And why do all your posts generally begin and end with a question
and having no real substance in between?


Mike

unread,
Sep 24, 2022, 8:50:19 PMSep 24
to
On Saturday, 24 September 2022 at 17:02:02 UTC-7, Steven Douglas wrote:
> On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 9:12:39 PM UTC-7, Mike wrote:
> > On Friday, 23 September 2022 at 17:32:37 UTC-7, Steven Douglas wrote:
> > > On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 5:12:27 PM UTC-7, Mike wrote:
> > > > On Friday, 23 September 2022 at 16:38:55 UTC-7, JTEM is Magic wrote:
> > > > > Mike wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > > I remember a while back you were changing names so often, I couldn't
> > > > > > begin to list all the handles you've used.
> > > >
> > > > > All of them using the exact same email address. No attempt to hide.
> > > > > Mostly they were jokes...
> > > >
> > > > Exactly what I was telling Steven.
> > > You were telling me something about sock puppets? I don't
> > > remember that, can you show me what you said? Because
> > > the last thing I remember you saying to me was that you
> > > didn't have a clue who Thomas is, and for all you know it
> > > could be another of JTEM's or Doc's alters. Are you saying
> > > you were just joking about that?
> > > >
> > > > It's sometimes hard to differentiate a joke
> > > > from what's real.
> >
> > > That's why I know you were joking about Thomas having
> > > difficulty saying Jesus accepts me! I can tell that Thomas
> > > knows Jesus. Thomas is a good man, isn't he?
> >
> > These are Thomas words 'You do not accept Jesus'.
> I think Thomas was testing me to see how I'd react.

Whenever I see the name Thomas, 'doubting Thomas'
comes to mind. And why is it OK for Thomas to 'test' you
while when I do my experiments you don't like them?

I think
> he wanted to see how I'd react to his challenge. I think I
> passed the test with my reply.
> >
> > You missed that part.
>
> No, I answered him correctly.
> >
> > I am in agreement with that.
> With what?
> >
> > Why are you asking me to accept Jesus when Thomas
> > says you 'DO NOT'.

> But then Thomas said Jesus accepts me, so all is well.

Thomas never came back to defend you, indicating that
he probably couldn't give two shits about you.


>Isn't
> that great? I am blessed beyond belief.

You cannot be all that happy wanting to spend your
whole life here with me and Doc.



Steven Douglas

unread,
Sep 24, 2022, 9:09:53 PMSep 24
to
It was you who made no sense when you insisted to JTEM that he
uses alters, even after he told you he doesn't.
>
> And why do all your posts generally begin and end with a question
> and having no real substance in between?

You just did that. See the question mark at the end of your post?
Yet you ask me why my post ends with a question mark? While
you just wrote a post that has no substance? I wonder if you
even know how funny you are?

Steven Douglas

unread,
Sep 24, 2022, 9:12:34 PMSep 24
to
Why does your post end with a question mark?
>
> > I think
> > he wanted to see how I'd react to his challenge. I think I
> > passed the test with my reply.
> > >
> > > You missed that part.
> >
> > No, I answered him correctly.
> > >
> > > I am in agreement with that.
>
> > With what?
> > >
> > > Why are you asking me to accept Jesus when Thomas
> > > says you 'DO NOT'.
>
> > But then Thomas said Jesus accepts me, so all is well.
>
> Thomas never came back to defend you, indicating that
> he probably couldn't give two shits about you.

Or maybe he was satisfied with my answer, and no further
posts by him were necessary?
>
> > Isn't that great? I am blessed beyond belief.
>
> You cannot be all that happy wanting to spend your
> whole life here with me and Doc.

Does that mean you're not happy spending your whole life here?

Mike

unread,
Sep 24, 2022, 10:09:35 PMSep 24
to
But it doesn't begin with a question, nor is it gibberish
in the middle like most of yours.



> >
> > > I think
> > > he wanted to see how I'd react to his challenge. I think I
> > > passed the test with my reply.
> > > >
> > > > You missed that part.
> > >
> > > No, I answered him correctly.
> > > >
> > > > I am in agreement with that.
> >
> > > With what?
> > > >
> > > > Why are you asking me to accept Jesus when Thomas
> > > > says you 'DO NOT'.
> >
> > > But then Thomas said Jesus accepts me, so all is well.
> >
> > Thomas never came back to defend you, indicating that
> > he probably couldn't give two shits about you.

> Or maybe he was satisfied with my answer, and no further
> posts by him were necessary?

Most likely he never came back to check.



> >
> > > Isn't that great? I am blessed beyond belief.
> >
> > You cannot be all that happy wanting to spend your
> > whole life here with me and Doc.

> Does that mean you're not happy spending your whole life here?

I could never be fully happy until you disappear from here
completely.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages