What is the Will?

Mike

Mar 21, 2023, 12:30:29 AM3/21/23
Will, within philosophy, is a faculty of the mind. Will is important as one of the parts of the mind, along with reason and understanding. It is considered central to the field of ethics because of its role in enabling deliberate action.

A recurring question in Western philosophical tradition is about free will—and the related, but more general notion of fate—which asks how the will can truly be free if a person's actions have either natural or divine causes determining them. In turn, this is directly connected to discussions on the nature of freedom and to the problem of evil.

Will (philosophy)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_(philosophy)

JTEM is Magic

Mar 24, 2023, 5:08:44 PM3/24/23
Mike wrote:

> Will, within philosophy, is a faculty of the mind.

We have to call my nephew "Will" now.

No more "William."

> Will is important as one of the parts of the mind, along with reason and understanding.
> It is considered central to the field of ethics because of its role in enabling deliberate
> action.

Now you're into conscious as opposed to subconscious thoughts.

Or, rationalizations?

Someone can WANT something and make themselves believe they want something
else... perhaps even actively deny that they want it.

This used to be excessively common amongst gay men. The ramifications were so
great, homosexuality was so taboo that people weren't just closeted but many were
repressed. I've heard of men actually having sex with other men and remaining in
complete denial of their homosexuality.

They were straight and they believed it...

This describes some people even today, with all the pro gay/affirming depictions
(messages) in our culture. All you need is a disapproving family or some strict fundy
religious views...

Put short: I never believe people.

Oh, i can and often do believe "a" person. But "People?" Nah.

> A recurring question in Western philosophical tradition is about free will—and the
> related, but more general notion of fate—which asks how the will can truly be free
> if a person's actions have either natural or divine causes determining them.

You don't know what's going to happen tomorrow. Then tomorrow happens. You
write down everything that happens. "Free Will."

Now remove the element of time. In a sense, "Free Will" is just as valid. From our
perspective everything happened at the "Same time," because we exist in linear
time. But eliminating time, there's no reason why you couldn't have made the
choices... even if there is nothing separating those choices from what happened
a billion years prior or a billion years after.

THEN we consider the multiverse! Everything, every POTENTIAL choice exists
but there's still free will, because your consciousness hasn't selected one yet.

> In turn, this is directly connected to discussions on the nature of freedom and
> to the problem of evil.

I don't think so. It's more an exploration of the limits to our imagination.

The limits to our thinking... our perception.

There are countless MILLIONS who believe they "Know" volumes about you,
just from a position you hold or even a word that you use.

I've said that I don't support "Minor's Access" to abortion. That, there should
be parental oversight. That, a child can't get a nose job or a circumcision
without the parent's knowledge and consent, why should an abortion be any
different?

There's countless millions you can't say that to without them deciding that
they know EVERYTHING about you politically... everyone you voted for.. your
views on other issues... social issues... economics.. education...

People are fucking idiots.

The last thing we can ever assume is that anyone knows what they think.

For real.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/712626036266926080/jj-foleys