Don't call me Lawrence!

JTEM is Magic

Nov 28, 2021, 1:44:10 PM11/28/21

Mike

Nov 28, 2021, 1:49:37 PM11/28/21
On Sunday, 28 November 2021 at 10:44:10 UTC-8, JTEM is Magic wrote:
> Google it.

You ask lots !

> -- --
>
> https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/669121004370542592

JTEM is Magic

Nov 28, 2021, 3:13:06 PM11/28/21
Mike wrote:

> JTEM is Magic wrote:

> > Google it.
>
> You ask lots !

It's a line made famous from the Gettysburg film. The Joshua Chamberlain character;
his brother kept calling him "Lawrence" and he, as you might've guessed, kept telling
him, "Don't call me Lawrence!"

So why would anyone call Joshua Chamberlain "Lawrence?"

I dunno. Though many pretentious types go by their middle names, or maybe he
just didn't like Joshua.

MOST LIKELY ANSWER: His dad was named Joshua, so it would have seemed
awkward or at least confusing for his mom & extended family (mostly his mom?)
saying "Joshua" when they could mean either.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/669121004370542592

Mike

Nov 28, 2021, 3:23:53 PM11/28/21
Oh, I thought it was something in relationship to the
Lawrence Welk that was posted by D before
you. I looked it up but couldn't glean any meaning or
appreciate the connection.

> -- --
>
> https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/669121004370542592

JTEM is Magic

Nov 28, 2021, 3:27:15 PM11/28/21
Mike wrote:

> JTEM is Magic wrote:
> > Mike wrote:

> > > You ask lots !
> > It's a line made famous from the Gettysburg film. The Joshua Chamberlain character;
> > his brother kept calling him "Lawrence" and he, as you might've guessed, kept telling
> > him, "Don't call me Lawrence!"
> >
> > So why would anyone call Joshua Chamberlain "Lawrence?"
> >
> > I dunno. Though many pretentious types go by their middle names, or maybe he
> > just didn't like Joshua.
> >
> > MOST LIKELY ANSWER: His dad was named Joshua, so it would have seemed
> > awkward or at least confusing for his mom & extended family (mostly his mom?)
> > saying "Joshua" when they could mean either.

> Oh, I thought it was something in relationship to the
> Lawrence Welk that was posted by D before
> you. I looked it up but couldn't glean any meaning or
> appreciate the connection.

It was in relation!

Lawrence Welk... "Don't call me Lawrence"...

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/669121004370542592

Mike

Nov 28, 2021, 3:49:08 PM11/28/21
Maybe it's just me being dumb, but I still
don't get it.

> -- --
>
> https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/669121004370542592

JTEM is Magic

Nov 28, 2021, 3:55:00 PM11/28/21
Mike wrote:

> Maybe it's just me being dumb, but I still
> don't get it.

Google: Juxtaposition

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/669073198351024128