thoughts on Jerico, Goldberg, and the problem with wrestling

Harvey Wallbanger

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
It is funny, because while wrestling sets itself apart from other sports
by having scripted outcomes, thus making the competition "fake", lately,
it has gotten closer and closer to the pathetic state that real atletics
have also achieved nearing the millenium.

Think about it, football, basketball, baseball, hockey, and now
wrestling. All have overpaid athletes who will jump ship in a heartbeat
in order to make a few more dollars. In this case, though, we are not
talking about teams, cities or mascots, but The WCW, WWF, and ECW.
Jerico leaving WCW for WWF reminds me of a situation that plagued the
Orlando Magic when shaq went to LA. he was not in it for the team, he
was in it for himself, and he dissapointed so many who had embraced him
in the process.

Now we have to deal with goldberg. He obviously has let his undefeated
streak go to his head.... he needs to realize that he is only a star
because the WCW decided to make him one. He is not much bigger, or
stronger, or gifted on the mic than anybody else in WCW. He has one hell
of a win streak, and as I said before, that is scripted. He should get
back to work and thank god he has life so good. His company needs him
right now, and he is obviously not a team player.

I have focused on the bad here, there are surely alot of team players in
wrestling, who are willing to lay down for their company when needed.
they will wrestle house shows, do appearances, and go the extra mile to
ensure that they are doing their part. As for the rest, they need to
realize that they're all a dime a dozen, and if we all turn of our TV's
tomorrow, they are most likely going to be doing used car commercials to
pay their bills.

To end here, I use the old cliche' "there is no I in TEAM"...... only I
say their is no I in WCW, WWF or ECW either, so check your egos at the
doors, boys and girls, and lets wrestle.

Toad

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
Totally agree with you. I was a huge Goldberg fan, but lately I've been
very disappointed in the whole contract situation. I'm hoping it turns out
to be a work (like Vince putting out the Big Show KotR video cover), perhaps
to turn Goldberg heel or something like that. I don't know, but I wish he'd
come back soon. He simply puts people in seats. As for Jericho, WCW (so i
have heard) offered him a very lucrative contract, but he just didn't take
it. He may just fit in in WWF, where mic work is favored over wrestling
skill.

Toad

<)))><

hkl, Promotions

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99

Harvey Wallbanger wrote in message
<21243-37...@newsd-122.bryant.webtv.net>...

Jerico leaving WCW for WWF reminds me of a situation that plagued the
Orlando Magic when shaq went to LA. he was not in it for the team, he
was in it for himself, and he dissapointed so many who had embraced him
in the process.

--Ok, you retarded monkey! How is it the same at all? Money maybe? Hell
no, he will make a lot less in WWF.
WCW used him poorly and he wants to be a star. I can't believe you blame
this on Him. YOU f'n punk!

The Franchise

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
Nope. Wrong. WCW offered Jericho more money. But, he still signed with
WWF. They will use him. He will win the IC title. Eventually, probably
within a year, he will main event.
This situation is nothing like Shaq and the Magic. In Orlando, Shaq was a
starter, he was played, and he made a lot of money. But he still jumped
ship to the Lakers. Jericho, was a jobber, never used properly, and made a
good amount of money (more than I'll ever see!). However, when the choice
came between being a whore and getting even more money, or becoming a
superstar and proving to the world that he is The Next Thing, Jericho chose
the later.
Ordinarily, I loathe the WWF and all things associated with them. However,
I applaud Chris Jericho for making the decision he made. He signed for
less money, but did so hoping he can prove himself in the WWF.
Good luck CJ. I'll see you on Raw, because Nitro is just too lame for this
long time (10 years) WCW fan to handle anymore. Here's hoping you'll make
Raw watchable, and Bischoff lose his job.

Harvey Wallbanger <H_Wall...@webtv.net> wrote in article
<21243-37...@newsd-122.bryant.webtv.net>...

> It is funny, because while wrestling sets itself apart from other sports
> by having scripted outcomes, thus making the competition "fake", lately,
> it has gotten closer and closer to the pathetic state that real atletics
> have also achieved nearing the millenium.
>
> Think about it, football, basketball, baseball, hockey, and now
> wrestling. All have overpaid athletes who will jump ship in a heartbeat
> in order to make a few more dollars. In this case, though, we are not
> talking about teams, cities or mascots, but The WCW, WWF, and ECW.

> Jerico leaving WCW for WWF reminds me of a situation that plagued the
> Orlando Magic when shaq went to LA. he was not in it for the team, he
> was in it for himself, and he dissapointed so many who had embraced him
> in the process.

Harvey Wallbanger

Jul 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/2/99
shaq took less money in LA so he could be a "movie star"... and jericho
did do the same thing, he was used in WCW..... lets just see what
happens in the long run tough guy.

CraigB-007

Jul 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/2/99
Wait a second.....

The Franchise <fran...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

> Nope. Wrong. WCW offered Jericho more money. But, he still signed with
> WWF. They will use him. He will win the IC title. Eventually, probably
> within a year, he will main event.
> This situation is nothing like Shaq and the Magic. In Orlando, Shaq was a
> starter, he was played, and he made a lot of money. But he still jumped
> ship to the Lakers. Jericho, was a jobber, never used properly, and made
> good amount of money (more than I'll ever see!).

Ok, now I'm curious, how was Jericho a jobber in WCW? Jobbers don't win
titles do they? While it's not the Heavy Weight Title, Jericho was a
multi-time cruiserweight champion and I believe that he held the TV and or
US title a time or two.
When he was introduced in WCW he was pushed strongly as a babyface called
"Lionheart" Chris Jericho. Then eventually he was turned heel and he became
very popular. Besides winning belts, Jericho got arguably more mic time than
all of the WCW wrestlers (save Hogan). How many "jobbers" get mic time let
alone their own T-shirts and merchandise? Calling him a jobber is ridiculous
and just flat out untrue. If anyone remembers, some of his feuds while in
WCW were classic. His feud with Dean Malenko was hilarious. While short
lived, his Goldberg feud was very entertaining.

Yes, Jericho could have and should have been used better in WCW. However,
WCW is filled with more "big names" than the WWF so it isn't as easy to
become a main eventer here as opposed to over there. While Jericho is a
great talent, there are still the Sting's, Hart's, Hogan's, Raven's,
Kidman's, etc, on WCW's roster that deserve spotlight as well. Before
everyone jumps up my ass again and says I'm bashing the WWF, listen to what
I am saying first. There are less big names currently in the WWF and less
wrestlers with the talent equal to that of Jericho. Naturally, he has a
better shot over there.

*Side note* I would much rather be watching Jericho vs. Nash right now but
that's another story all-together.

If WCW used him so badly, why did the WWF want him so much? If he was a
"jobber" why was he the "hottest free agent in years"? How would people know
he had talent and mic skill if WCW never let him showcase it? The fact is,
WCW did use him well. Just not as well as they should have.

FYI: A "Jobber" is a guy who never wins.

hoghu...@gmail.com

May 29, 2019, 10:56:37 AM5/29/19
Curse Jerkicho was a jobber, PERIOD. He holds the distinction as the only (and I mean ONLY) IC-ky Tittle holder to lose the belt to a WOMAN, fer Gawd sake, even if it was a jacked up female like China (who had PREVIOUSLY lost to Mark Jobry in a HANDICAP MATCH, fer Gawd sake!).

jmfabi...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2019, 10:14:48 AM8/12/19
I UHGREE!

THANKS FOR THE INFO!!! :-D :-D :-D