„Google“ grupės nebepalaiko naujų „Usenet“ įrašų ar prenumeratų. Istorinį turinį galima peržiūrėti.

What is the process WhatsApp uses to protect contacts who are NOT signed up?

2 peržiūros
Praleisti ir pereiti prie pirmo neskaityto pranešimo

Andy Burnelli

neskaityta,
2022-06-23 14:44:332022-06-23
kam:
What is the process that WhatsApp follows to protect your contacts
who are NOT signed up to WhatsApp?

On the Apple newsgroup today there was a question about how various
messaging apps protect the contacts who are not signed into them.

For WhatsApp, I remember Frank covered this quite well, so all I ask is if
my recollection of the process (see message below) is accurate.

If not, can somone who knows what's incorrect, correct it?
The benefit would be we'd all understand how they do it.

See below...

Lewis wrote:

>> Exactly this would be a killer-function. Because it is not possible I do
>> not use WhatsApp. And exactly this is the reason whay in Europe
>> companies do not allow the use of Messengers on their own phones to
>> protect the privacy of their clients. Otherwise they can get into deep shit.
>
> We are all aware of the shithole company that is Facebook. No company
> with any sense should allow any Facebook apps on any part of their network.

I'm no friend of Facebook but I think WhatsApp does "try" to keep _only_
the contacts in your contacts database that are signed up to WhatsApp.

Frank Slootweg covered how WhatApps encrypts the contacts, at least on
Android, which, as I recall, goes something like this:

1. WhatsApp grabs your contacts sqlite db and uploads it
2. The server figures out which contacts are in WhatsApp
3. The server _deletes_ the contacts that are _not_ in WhatsApp
4. The server encrypts the rest
5. The server sends back to the device those encrypted contacts
6. And that's what the WhatsApp app uses for contacts

That may or may not be completely correct as it's from memory.
But at the time we discussed this using the official documentation.

If that's what WhatsApp does with Android contacts, why wouldn't they do it
similarly with iOS contacts?
--
Note: On Android there are programs that get around the WhatsApp need for
contacts altogether (using dialers and chats and shortcuts) as shown here: