ICQ SAGA!!!!!!

Dot Com

Jan 20, 2001, 9:10:10 PM1/20/01
Read a lot about ICQ being a Trojan Horse, Hidden Server and Spy Ware etc.
etc.
1. Is it a Trojan? No
2. Hidden Server? Yes
3. Spy Ware? Yes but a very clever one.

THIS IS FOR THOSE WHO DON'T HAVE SUFFICIENT KNOWLEDGE ABOUT PRIVACY ETC.
PROFESSIONALS CAN ADD & CONTRIBUTE MORE TOWARDS THIS. MANY THANKS IN
ADVANCE.

How to use ICQ without letting AOL intruding your privacy?
1. Use a good proggy like zone alarm or ZA Pro to block icqsrp.exe.
ICQSRP.EXE is the hidden server /spy ware which is installed into your
system with the icq. It rips your registry & sends it to AOL at regular
intervals.NIS is too dumb to pick it up even if you don't allow any
application to access the internet without your permission.If you want to
read about firewall appraisal : go to http://grc.com/lt/scoreboard.htm.
2. Go to start menu/ Run/ Type reg edit/then click:Hot Key Current
User/Software/Mirabillis/ICQ/Default Perfs/click on auto update in the right
box & set auto update to NO.

Why I say its clever ? Uses auto update feature to do the same thing if
icqsrp.exe is blocked.

If 1 & 2 above is patched up - your privacy is secured & there is no change
in the way you use icq I.e still can chat file transfer etc etc.(Zone Alarm
is free.)

Tip of the day :Never allow any proggy to act as a server (allow for each
use)on your computer except trusted ones or proggy like ftp server etc .
If you will allow any application to act as a server then a NEW virus or
Trojan horse not updated by your antivirus proggy can
attach to a trusted proggy & play real dirty on yaa system.

DOT COM