<<< New Omnimix release 2.6.6 >>>

Anonymous Remailer

Jun 15, 2022, 6:52:33 PM6/15/22
Bugfix: Size of Yamn Stats ListBox corrected.
Button to reset Tor status and thereby change the entry guard added.
Log list now also shows Tor startup parameters.
Tor updated to a modified version 0.4.8.0-alpha-dev (git-b733f9d6ace63c71)
custom build, which allows a variable circuit length from 2 to 9 nodes
(including respective OmniMix controls), and, in order to keep the TorIp
feature functional, removes IP address retrieval ('getinfo address')
restrictions now also providing client instances with their IP address.
Path to location of GeoIP/GeoIPv6 files added to Tor's torrc configuration
file, obsolete 'CircuitIdleTimeout' parameter removed.

https://danner-net.de/om/History.txt

Looks like a TOR can opener, doesn't it?

rmd

Jun 16, 2022, 9:38:54 AM6/16/22
Good to see that Danner is still maintaining Omnimix.

Jun 16, 2022, 9:48:43 AM6/16/22
On Wed, 15 Jun 2022 23:52:32 +0100, Anonymous Remailer <rema...@domain.invalid> wrote
in Message-Id: <20220615.235...@mixmin.net>:
http://www.danner-net.de/om.htm
http://www.danner-net.de/omom/index.htm
http://www.danner-net.de/om/OmniMix_2.6.6_Uno_Setup.exe

Anonymous

Jun 16, 2022, 12:12:48 PM6/16/22
In article <t8fbpc$1sfba$1...@news.mixmin.net> "rmd"
And great, that along the way he's maintaining Tor and GnuPG 1.4 as well.

With OM's Tor tweak I just made my Tor Browser switch to 6-node circuits.

A smooth experience. Love it!

But I'm afraid that with anonymous remailers disappearing one after
another there'll soon be no more need for even the best client software.

SEC3

Jun 16, 2022, 1:22:03 PM6/16/22
On 2022-06-16 12:12, Anonymous wrote:

> But I'm afraid that with anonymous remailers disappearing one after
> another there'll soon be no more need for even the best client software.

I have the same concern. But every remailer *is" going to go away. It's
only natural in any endeavour reliant on volunteerism. The lack of new
remailers - i.e new remops to replace them - is the real issue.

IMO, anyone with the capacity to master Omnimix also has the capacity to
run a remailer!

--
SEC3

YAMN Tutorials - https://sec3.net/yamnhelp

Nomen Nescio

Jun 16, 2022, 2:51:59 PM6/16/22

Anonymous

Jun 16, 2022, 3:14:42 PM6/16/22
SEC3 <ad...@sec3.net> wrote:

>On 2022-06-16 12:12, Anonymous wrote:
>
>> But I'm afraid that with anonymous remailers disappearing one after
>> another there'll soon be no more need for even the best client software.
>>

>I have the same concern. But every remailer *is" going to go away. It's
>only natural in any endeavour reliant on volunteerism. The lack of new
>remailers - i.e new remops to replace them - is the real issue.
>
>IMO, anyone with the capacity to master Omnimix also has the capacity to
>run a remailer!

Remember, first of all you need your own domain resp. a static IP address.

Unfortunately never an effort was made to migrate packet transport to Tor
hidden services, which would have made it easy for everybody to start a
preconfigured remailer VM without any prerequisites from wherever he lives.

Anonymous Remailer

Jun 16, 2022, 8:05:02 PM6/16/22
> I have the same concern. But every remailer *is" going to go away.
It's
> only natural in any endeavour reliant on volunteerism. The lack of
new
> remailers - i.e new remops to replace them - is the real issue.

> IMO, anyone with the capacity to master Omnimix also has the capacity
> run a remailer!

True, but with only one Nymserver left, the options are limited, and
the
writings on the wall.

Anonymous Remailer

Jun 17, 2022, 10:55:04 AM6/17/22
On 6/16/2022 5:04 PM, Anonymous Remailer wrote:

> True, but with only one Nymserver left, the options are limited, and
> the writings on the wall.

So true. Like it it or not, the remailer system seems on it's last legs
and is in a serious state of decline.

I thought we had 2 working nymservers remaining:

@nymph.paranoici.org

@nym.mixmin.net

Am I wrong?

Jun 17, 2022, 1:26:57 PM6/17/22
On Fri, 17 Jun 2022 15:55:03 +0100, Anonymous Remailer <rema...@domain.invalid> wrote:
>On 6/16/2022 5:04 PM, Anonymous Remailer wrote:
>> True, but with only one Nymserver left, the options are limited, and
>> the writings on the wall.
>
>So true. Like it it or not, the remailer system seems on it's last legs
>and is in a serious state of decline.

still working fine afaict . . . still using omnimix 2.6.5 . . . every post
gets through . . . and ever since the "replay" days, remailers have come &
gone with few steadfast exceptions. . . hopefully some more will spring up . . .

Anonymous

Jun 18, 2022, 7:03:44 AM6/18/22
"rmd" <rem...@not-for-mail.invalid> wrote:

> Good to see that Danner is still maintaining Omnimix.

Christian, thank you so much.

Nomen Nescio

Jun 18, 2022, 7:45:34 AM6/18/22
D <J@M> wrote:
>On Fri, 17 Jun 2022 15:55:03 +0100, Anonymous Remailer <rema...@domain.invalid> wrote:
>>On 6/16/2022 5:04 PM, Anonymous Remailer wrote:

>>> True, but with only one Nymserver left, the options are limited, and
>>> the writings on the wall.

We still have two of them.

>>So true. Like it it or not, the remailer system seems on it's last legs
>>and is in a serious state of decline.
>
>still working fine afaict . . . still using omnimix 2.6.5 . . . every post
>gets through

But more and more I get

| Mixmaster Reply (Task 0):
| Error: No reliable remailers!

messages urging me to relax delivery rules.

Jun 18, 2022, 9:06:03 AM6/18/22
On Sat, 18 Jun 2022 13:45:32 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio <nob...@dizum.com> wrote:
>D <J@M> wrote:
>>still working fine afaict . . . still using omnimix 2.6.5 . . . every post
>>gets through
>
>But more and more I get
>| Mixmaster Reply (Task 0):
>| Error: No reliable remailers!
>messages urging me to relax delivery rules.

The basic tor setup on 2.6.5 used with the few existing reliable remailers
has been working 100% success rate thus far, but that's from sending only
a few posts/replies per day on average, and using one to two random hops.
2.6.6 looks awesome but haven't tested it yet.

Anonymous

Jun 18, 2022, 9:33:52 AM6/18/22
> But I'm afraid that with anonymous remailers disappearing one after
> another there'll soon be no more need for even the best client software.

The US govern hates anonymous remailers.

Jun 18, 2022, 10:56:44 AM6/18/22
On Sat, 18 Jun 2022 13:33:42 +0000 (UTC), Anonymous <nob...@remailer.paranoici.org> wrote:
>govern
E Pluribus Unum

"et interrogabat eum quod tibi nomen est et dicit
and interrogated him What of yours the name to be? and is saying

ei Legio nomen mihi est quia multi sumus"
him Legion the name of myself to be, because many we are.

--Marcum 5:9, editio Vulgata, 405 anno Domini

Nomen Nescio

Jun 18, 2022, 12:07:08 PM6/18/22
Remailers only handle two types of communication:
Usenet and email.

Neither of those represent much of a threat anymore.

Nomen Nescio

Jun 18, 2022, 12:17:11 PM6/18/22
In article <b0a7ae00fabfc9a5...@remailer.paranoici.org>
All governments, whether left or right, hate anonymous remailers.

!!! So keep them running !!!

Jun 18, 2022, 1:07:29 PM6/18/22
On Sat, 18 Jun 2022 18:07:06 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio <nob...@dizum.com> wrote:
>Neither of those represent much of a threat

Bible language poses no threat either, e.g. "Who is similar to the
(invincible) beast, and who will be able to be pugnacious with it?"
According to the NT gospel account, not even Jesus had that power:

"respondit Iesus regnum meum non est de
responded Jesus The kingdom of me not is of

mundo hoc si ex hoc mundo esset
the world this. if because of this world to exist

regnum meum ministri mei decertarent
the kingdom of me, ministers mine would fight

ut non traderer Iudaeis
in order that not me to trade to the Judaists

nunc autem meum regnum non est
presently, but of me the kingdom not is

hinc itaque dixit itaque ei Pilatus ergo
from here. said therefore to him Pilate Then

rex es tu. respondit Iesus tu dicis
a king to be you. responded Jesus You are saying

quia rex sum ego ego in hoc natus
because a king to be me. I in this place native

sum et ad hoc veni in mundum
to be, and for this cause came I into the world,

ut testimonium perhibeam veritati
to give the testimony I am presenting in verity.

omnis qui est ex veritate audit
Everyone who is out of verity they are audient

meam vocem dicit ei Pilatus quid est
of my voice. is saying to him Pilate What is

veritas et cum hoc dixisset iterum
verity. and when this was said, iteratively

exivit ad Iudaeos et dicit eis
exited him toward the Judaists and said to them

ego nullam invenio in eo causam"
Me not any I am finding in him fault.

--Ioannem 18:36-38, editio Vulgata, 405 anno Domini

Romans crucified Jesus. Romans invented Christianity.

Fritz Wuehler

Jun 18, 2022, 1:16:44 PM6/18/22
On 6/18/2022 6:33 AM, Anonymous wrote:

There aren't many remailers left for them to hate.

Jun 18, 2022, 1:27:36 PM6/18/22
On Sat, 18 Jun 2022 18:17:09 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio <nob...@dizum.com> wrote:
>All governments

"vanitas vanitatum dixit Ecclesiastes vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas"

Nomen Nescio

Jun 18, 2022, 1:27:36 PM6/18/22
And I usually send through a chain of 6 random remailers with about 6
copies and Distance remaining at 20, which is why I obviously have to
trim back my demands. Success rate btw also nearly 100%.

Nomen Nescio

Jun 18, 2022, 3:08:07 PM6/18/22
+1

Nomen Nescio

Jun 18, 2022, 5:49:06 PM6/18/22
E-Mail is dead? NOT!

Anonymous

Jun 18, 2022, 10:27:37 PM6/18/22
On 6/18/2022 2:49 PM, Nomen Nescio wrote:

f those represent much of a threat anymore.

> E-Mail is dead? NOT!

Maybe in your world, but the rest of the world has migrated over to
messaging. That's fact.

Jun 18, 2022, 11:16:41 PM6/18/22
On Sun, 19 Jun 2022 02:27:20 +0000 (UTC), Anonymous <nob...@remailer.paranoici.org> wrote:
>fact

Jerome Levitch was born to Daniel & Rachael Brodsky-Levitch at the 80-bed
three-storey brick Beth Israel Hospital(74W10:56,40N43:51)651 High Street
Newark, New Jersey on Tuesday 16 March 1926 at 12:15 PM EST(AA/BC).

Anonymous Remailer

Jun 19, 2022, 11:09:24 AM6/19/22
As a matter of fact the rest of the world doesn't care about privacy.
And TLAs are happy with that.

BTW, e-mail isn't messaging?

Characteristics of anonymous remailing:

- Everyone has an email address and thereby can be contacted.
- It uses standardized open-source cryptographic procedures.
- It's decentralized, everyone can set up a server.
- It provides distributed trust.
- It provides latency.
- No need to register.

Long story short, just a dozen independent enthusiasts living in
different countries / jurisdictions can easily set up a system providing
bullet-proof anonymous messaging for everyday usage.

With a

Me <-> Tor <-> Mixmaster / Yamn remailer network <-> nym account
and
nym account <-> Cypherpunk remailer network <-> Usenet <-> Tor <-> Me

routing nobody even knows that I'm exchanging messages, my communication
is completely hidden.

Which alternative "messaging" system at that level would you recommend?

Anonymous

Jun 19, 2022, 7:39:51 PM6/19/22
You are absolutely right.

But the only type of bidirectional messaging for anonymous remailers are
Nyms.

Very secure, IMHO, but difficult to set up for most folks. And if you
pull a list of used Nyms, their adoption globally is very small, very
limited. It's probably not the future. It's email centric.

Email seems to be a generational thing. What I've observed, and YMMV, is
if one is over 50, email is still strong. If one is under 50, it's all
messaging. Definitely, like it or not, the world is changing. By it's
very nature, SMTP is very insecure and always will be that way.
People want something else.

For messaging, Signal is the gold standard. However, Signal focuses on
privacy and not anonymity. So it's limited. but it IS the most popular.
Signal has been challenged in court demanding access to it's records.
The only thing Signal has available is the account creation date, and
the last time the account was accessed. Nothing more. But Signal
requires a phone number and lots of people understandably don't like that.

There are numerous other capable messengers, but the Briar Project is
garnering lots of positive attention in anonymity circles.

No registration, no user names, no phone numbers. Additionally, there
is no central server structure that can be compromised or attacked.
Briar is metadata and censorship resistant and uses Perfect Forward
Secrecy. It is worth a look. Briar has been audited and found to be very
capable. It is certainly worth a look for those folks who are privacy
aficionados.

We also have to recognize again, the world is changing and a significant
portion of the world is on mobile now. In Third World or developing
nations, people do not own computers. But everyone has mobile.
That is where the whole thing is going. You have to have a computer
to access Yamn or Mixmaster messages.

https://briarproject.org/how-it-works/
https://briarproject.org/

It is Android only. But it does run on Linux on the desktop.

Briar uses Tor.

Briar uses the highly secure Bramble protocol as well:

https://code.briarproject.org/briar/briar-spec/-/blob/master/protocols/BTP.md#:~:text=Bramble%20Transport%20Protocol%20(BTP)%20is,wide%20range%20of%20underlying%20transports.

Jun 19, 2022, 9:06:46 PM6/19/22
On Sun, 19 Jun 2022 23:39:49 +0000, Anonymous <nob...@yamn.paranoici.org> wrote:
>We

"them"

Nomen Nescio

Jun 20, 2022, 10:53:53 AM6/20/22
Anonymous <nob...@yamn.paranoici.org> wrote:

>But the only type of bidirectional messaging for anonymous remailers are
>Nyms.

Thinking of nymserv, haven't you seen what diversification means? Pure
confusion without any benefit.

>Very secure, IMHO, but difficult to set up for most folks.

Protocol designers have to take care of security, robustness and attack
resistance, then hiding from users what's going on under the hood has to
be the business of client software developers. It's as simple as that.

> And if you
>pull a list of used Nyms, their adoption globally is very small, very
>limited. It's probably not the future. It's email centric.
>
>Email seems to be a generational thing.

About 50 y old e-mail already survived two generations, still being the
most prevalent messaging protocol.

> What I've observed, and YMMV, is
>if one is over 50, email is still strong. If one is under 50, it's all
>messaging. Definitely, like it or not, the world is changing. By it's
>very nature, SMTP is very insecure and always will be that way.

What's insecure with encrypted and signed mail messages?

>People want something else.
>
>For messaging, Signal is the gold standard. However, Signal focuses on
>privacy and not anonymity. So it's limited. but it IS the most popular.
>Signal has been challenged in court demanding access to it's records.
>The only thing Signal has available is the account creation date, and
>the last time the account was accessed. Nothing more. But Signal
>requires a phone number and lots of people understandably don't like that.

Correct, Signal doesn't provide anonymity. It reveals who's
communicating with whom, how often and when. Easy to create a sociogram
of all its participants. And, as you may know, for surveillance
agencies those data make up 2/3 of what they're after.

>There are numerous other capable messengers, but the Briar Project is
>garnering lots of positive attention in anonymity circles.
>
>No registration, no user names, no phone numbers. Additionally, there
>is no central server structure that can be compromised or attacked.
>Briar is metadata and censorship resistant and uses Perfect Forward
>Secrecy. It is worth a look. Briar has been audited and found to be very
>capable. It is certainly worth a look for those folks who are privacy
>aficionados.
>
>We also have to recognize again, the world is changing and a significant
>portion of the world is on mobile now. In Third World or developing
>nations, people do not own computers. But everyone has mobile.
>That is where the whole thing is going. You have to have a computer
>to access Yamn or Mixmaster messages.

Why shouldn't the Mixmaster or Yamn protocol be fit for mobile devices?
Written off e-mail still is omnipresent, whereas, who uses Briar??? It's
an isolated ecosystem on its own without any chance to address ordinary
people.

Jun 20, 2022, 2:05:31 PM6/20/22
On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 16:53:51 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio <nob...@dizum.com> wrote:
>Anonymous <nob...@yamn.paranoici.org> wrote:
>>Email seems to be
>
>About 50 y old e-mail already survived two generations, still being the
>most prevalent messaging protocol.

Ditto Usenet, where unmoderated newsgroups remain the only unmoderated public
discussion forums available. Web-based discussion groups, especially "social"
media, are heavily moderated and monitored.

>>SMTP is very insecure and always will be that way.
>
>What's insecure with encrypted and signed mail messages?

It's their old Tavistock-style "tokyo rose"/"demoralize the troops" tactics
at work in every popular unmoderated newsgroup--and a.p.a-s is no exception.

>for surveillance agencies those data make up 2/3 of what they're after.
>
>>We

"them"

>> people do not own computers. But everyone has mobile

"We" speaks for everyone that ever lived on planet Earth. That's them.

>Why shouldn't the Mixmaster or Yamn protocol be fit for mobile devices?
>Written off e-mail still is omnipresent, whereas, who uses Briar??? It's
>an isolated ecosystem on its own without any chance to address ordinary
>people.

"Ordinary people" is hardly a ringing endorsement, but if the average
plebeian were to avoid entrapment, then this world could be a happier
place to live in. Hope's the evening star, the fulcrum of the balance.

Anonymous

Jun 20, 2022, 6:09:54 PM6/20/22
We're fellow travelers. I've maintained several nyms for over 8 years. .
It is one of the strongest models of security and anonymity anywhere. It
is amazing. It's very old technology, but still works. That's great news.

It's fact that the number of remailers and exits are at absolutely the
lowest point in our history. That does not bode well for Mixmaster. The
network is not growing. There is a story in that. People can draw their
own conclusions.

The complexity of setting up a nym is granted and obvious. This will
always hamper widespread adoption. Pull up a list of users from
li...@nym.mixmin.net and li...@nymph.paranoici.org. There probably aren't
500 users globally. It's sad for sure. One would think people with high
security needs would jump on board, but that seems not the case.

SMTP standard email by design is outdated and insecure. That is why we
don't see any new developments in anonymous email, because SMTP is
broken, leaky and insecure. That is another reason why people are
migrating to messaging. All the development in secure communication is
focused on messaging.

Beyond that, nym messages don't handle attachments. No file or image
transfers. But modern messengers definitely do. People want that. They
expect it. Technology supports it.

There is absolutely nothing insecure with encrypted signed messages.
Longer keys and strong passwords are absolutely necessary. The only
possible criticism of PGP is that it is not forward secure.

Years ago, Adam Langley, cryptographer at Google developed the Pond
messaging system. It was totally alpha and experimental only. Pond
relied on Tor for the transport mechanism and provided anonymity and
plausible deniability. Pond had to be connected to Tor by default,
otherwise it would not work. It could not "fail open." The encryption
protocol was the Axolotl Double Ratchet which was brilliant. Langley
said publicly he wrote the Pond code, "For those people for whom PGP was
not good enough." Pond was a clear signal that secure messaging was
headed in a different direction. It was not mobile, however. Ran only on
the desktop on Linux.

Valid points about Signal. The social graph is definitely there. And
that is vastly more important than message contents.

You wrote: "Why shouldn't the Mixmaster or Yamn protocol be fit for
mobile devices?" Damned good question. It is not being developed. It
would be a total game changer if it would. I don't know if it's possible
to even port Mixmaster to mobile.

"Written off e-mail still is omnipresent, whereas, who uses Briar???
It's an isolated ecosystem on its own without any chance to address
ordinary people."

Briar is not the only viable solution out there. But it is a top
candidate as one of the most secure.

To say it does not address ordinary people just is not an accurate
statement as that is exactly what it does. Nothing complicated at all to
set up.

In the past several months, usage of Signal and Briar increased in the
Ukraine by people desperate for sending secure messages. Signal saw a
spike in it's user base, and Briar saw increased usage as well. These
are people who are not hobbyists, but had a real world need for
messaging security.

Jun 20, 2022, 9:16:29 PM6/20/22
On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 22:09:53 +0000, Anonymous <nob...@yamn.paranoici.org> wrote:
>Langley

Virginia

Anonymous

Jun 20, 2022, 9:30:02 PM6/20/22
> I've maintained several nyms for over 8 years.

Yes, so have I, but none of my friends, associates or relatives would
ever bother to set up the software, or in one or two rare cases, have
the patience and knowledge to create a Nym and use it.

Now days I use Omnimix and/or QSL to either post to some newsgroups, or
on occasions I have the need to post an anonymous email, but I've long
since given up expecting to have a two way anon conversation via
participating Nyms.

On one occasion having that Nym and acting as a Whistleblower to a
Government Department saved my career when that Department shared my
email with the Company concerned. That company moved heaven and earth
to uncover my identity, even travelling to the Nym Server itself to
apply pressure.
I was safe, but protecting my anonymity then was a major priority.

But I am following this discussion with interest.

Thanks
Fred

Jun 20, 2022, 10:17:20 PM6/20/22
On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 01:29:53 +0000, Anonymous <nob...@yamn.paranoici.org> wrote:
>the Company

"Langley" . . . "the Company" . . . it all sounds very black bag

Anonymous

Jun 21, 2022, 12:55:02 AM6/21/22
> I've maintained several nyms for over 8 years.

Anonymous

Jun 21, 2022, 2:49:55 AM6/21/22
I totally respect and support the concept of nyms.

But nyms are way way above the average persons pay grade. Fact.

Ethan William

Jun 21, 2022, 5:41:16 AM6/21/22
If you were looking for the most reliable and secure place to buy prescription drugs and psychedelics in UK then you came to the right place .We do both wholesale and retails of hydrocodone, Oxycodone hydroclorides Percocet, Oxycotin, Tramadol, Morphine Lortab, Adderall,
Xanax, xanax Ksalol, Ketamine, Opana, Fentanyl. Roxicodone, Norco,Diluadid, Subutex, Suboxone, Valium, Wockhardt, Wock, Cough Syrup and many others benzos.

We offer safe and discreet purchase online without prescription and 100% guaranteed delivery to your doorstep,
Delivery takes 24 hours UK to UK and 48 our to Germany, Denmark, Greece, Czech republic and other Europe countries where our good are posted with 100% success.
Also sell....Meth
MDMA
LSD
MDA
Weed
Hero , in
Cocaine

Payment is done by bank transfer, Bitcoin and paypal
PLACE YOUR ORDERS!!
Secured communication by
OR
Wickr ID: Vendorvuggs1
Email ID ( greenishpharma95 @ g mail . c o m )

Jun 21, 2022, 10:55:20 AM6/21/22
On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 02:41:14 -0700 (PDT), Ethan William <willye...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Greece

Domenikos Theotokopoulos was born to Georgios & (wife, name unknown) Theotokopoulos
in Fodele(24E57:03,35N23:08, museum) Crete, Venetian Republic on Saturday 1 October
1541(B/HR, in lieu of baptism records). Byzantine Church Panayia(24E57:06,35N23:09).

Nomen Nescio

Jun 23, 2022, 4:15:47 AM6/23/22
Anonymous <nob...@yamn.paranoici.org> wrote:

>We're fellow travelers. I've maintained several nyms for over 8 years. .
>It is one of the strongest models of security and anonymity anywhere. It
>is amazing. It's very old technology, but still works. That's great news.
>
>It's fact that the number of remailers and exits are at absolutely the
>lowest point in our history. That does not bode well for Mixmaster. The
>network is not growing. There is a story in that. People can draw their
>own conclusions.

These are fast-paced times. Nobody likes to wait for hours to get a
message delivery feedback, which is why real-time messengers beat out
remailers. But there are dangerous tasks, where you need the highest
level of security and thereby anonymous remailing including its latency.

>The complexity of setting up a nym is granted and obvious. This will
>always hamper widespread adoption. Pull up a list of users from
>li...@nym.mixmin.net and li...@nymph.paranoici.org. There probably aren't
>500 users globally. It's sad for sure. One would think people with high
>security needs would jump on board, but that seems not the case.

No hype, no users.

>SMTP standard email by design is outdated and insecure. That is why we
>don't see any new developments in anonymous email, because SMTP is
>broken, leaky and insecure. That is another reason why people are
>migrating to messaging. All the development in secure communication is
>focused on messaging.
>
>Beyond that, nym messages don't handle attachments. No file or image
>transfers.

Are you sure? You tried it?

Even assuming such a nymserver policy, you can still transfer a WME
block that contains any kind of MIME message structure including
attachments.

<https://danner-net.de/omom/tutorwme.htm>

> But modern messengers definitely do. People want that. They
>expect it. Technology supports it.
>
>There is absolutely nothing insecure with encrypted signed messages.
>Longer keys and strong passwords are absolutely necessary. The only
>possible criticism of PGP is that it is not forward secure.
>
>Years ago, Adam Langley, cryptographer at Google developed the Pond
>messaging system. It was totally alpha and experimental only. Pond
>relied on Tor for the transport mechanism and provided anonymity and
>plausible deniability. Pond had to be connected to Tor by default,
>otherwise it would not work. It could not "fail open." The encryption
>protocol was the Axolotl Double Ratchet which was brilliant. Langley
>said publicly he wrote the Pond code, "For those people for whom PGP was
>not good enough." Pond was a clear signal that secure messaging was
>headed in a different direction. It was not mobile, however. Ran only on
>the desktop on Linux.
>
>Valid points about Signal. The social graph is definitely there. And
>that is vastly more important than message contents.
>
>You wrote: "Why shouldn't the Mixmaster or Yamn protocol be fit for
>mobile devices?" Damned good question. It is not being developed. It
>would be a total game changer if it would. I don't know if it's possible
>to even port Mixmaster to mobile.

Why not?

We don't even have an Android mail/usenet client with SOCKS support to
use our Omnimix server at home through its Tor hidden SMTP/POP3/NNTP
service. It once was announced by the K-9 team, though never
implemented.

>"Written off e-mail still is omnipresent, whereas, who uses Briar???
>It's an isolated ecosystem on its own without any chance to address
>ordinary people."
>
>Briar is not the only viable solution out there. But it is a top
>candidate as one of the most secure.
>
>To say it does not address ordinary people just is not an accurate
>statement as that is exactly what it does. Nothing complicated at all to
>set up.

But such messages are confined to the Briar network and its
participants. You can't use Briar to give a journalist or the police an
anonymous hint.

OTOH remailer messages can address everybody, 'cause everyone has an
email address. And a nym address even offers a round-trip ticket
without urging your communication partners to install anything. They
just have to return an ordinary mail message, at best PGP encrypted with
the key that's part of your mail.

Anything out there equally secure and convenient, at least from the
destination's POV?

>In the past several months, usage of Signal and Briar increased in the
>Ukraine by people desperate for sending secure messages. Signal saw a
>spike in it's user base, and Briar saw increased usage as well. These
>are people who are not hobbyists, but had a real world need for
>messaging security.

That's acceptable with (publicly known) peer groups like families or
whenever else the revelation of relationships is irrelevant. They just
have to agree on a messaging protocol.

Jun 23, 2022, 9:59:00 AM6/23/22
On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 10:15:45 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio <nob...@dizum.com> wrote:
>Nobody likes

"them"

Anonymous

Jun 23, 2022, 9:50:06 PM6/23/22
On 6/23/2022 1:15 AM, Nomen Nescio wrote:

> Anonymous <nob...@yamn.paranoici.org> wrote:
>
>> We're fellow travelers. I've maintained several nyms for over 8 years. .
>> It is one of the strongest models of security and anonymity anywhere. It
>> is amazing. It's very old technology, but still works. That's great news.
>>
>> It's fact that the number of remailers and exits are at absolutely the
>> lowest point in our history. That does not bode well for Mixmaster. The
>> network is not growing. There is a story in that. People can draw their
>> own conclusions.
>
> These are fast-paced times. Nobody likes to wait for hours to get a
> message delivery feedback, which is why real-time messengers beat out
> remailers. But there are dangerous tasks, where you need the highest
> level of security and thereby anonymous remailing including its latency.

Agreed.

>> The complexity of setting up a nym is granted and obvious. This will
>> always hamper widespread adoption. Pull up a list of users from
>> li...@nym.mixmin.net and li...@nymph.paranoici.org. There probably aren't
>> 500 users globally. It's sad for sure. One would think people with high
>> security needs would jump on board, but that seems not the case.
>
> No hype, no users.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and to share your thoughts.
Great discussion.

I remain firm in my conviction that Nyms are one of the most highly
secure forms of communication on the planet.It will always be in my
arsenal. But their complexity, for nobbies don't make Nym usage a very
practical choice in the modern world. I have tutored several
individuals, and the task is daunting at best. No hype, no users? Sure.
True. But one would think the remailer secure reputation would precede
itself and there would be greater adoption. But there is not. I wish it
were different.

>> SMTP standard email by design is outdated and insecure. That is why we
>> don't see any new developments in anonymous email, because SMTP is
>> broken, leaky and insecure. That is another reason why people are
>> migrating to messaging. All the development in secure communication is
>> focused on messaging.
>>
>> Beyond that, nym messages don't handle attachments. No file or image
>> transfers.
>
> Are you sure? You tried it?

I have tried and never been successful. Standard remailer non-Nym
anonymous messages are really wonky and largely unreliable at sending
attachments though i know some have had a measure of success, but not
easy. I'll gladly take your word that attachments can be included. I'd
like to try with attachments again using Nym messages if that is possible.
Yes, but that is where the rubber meets the road. Encryption is always a
2 way street. Both parties must always be using the same communications
platform no matter what you choose. Even if one chooses the PGP route,
this is assuming both parties are using PGP.

You are correct. All networks, Signal, Briar, Olvid, Threema, AM, CWTCH
etc etc require both parties to be using the same commonly agreed
communications platform thus insuring 2 way encrypted communications by
default.

Now let's take a look at your next point:

You can't use a messenger to give the Police an anonymous hint?
Correct.

However: Many Police jurisdictions do not list a public facing email
address where you can send an anonymous tip as you suggest. They have
web contact forms and many use telephone anonymous tip lines. I've
tried. It depends on the jurisdiction, of course. Smaller cities
sometimes list a public email address. Many major cities simply do not.

Thus, based on my real world experience, your specific use case is
largely hypothetical and in many use cases, invalid.

> OTOH remailer messages can address everybody, 'cause everyone has an
> email address. And a nym address even offers a round-trip ticket
> without urging your communication partners to install anything. They
> just have to return an ordinary mail message, at best PGP encrypted with
> the key that's part of your mail.

The round trip email ticket is what's best. PGP? The best, but again,
not commonly used. Also, there is no viability in sending a one way
anonymous remailer in an emergency situation. Why?
Many of those one way remailer messages wind up in someone's spam
folder. I've experimented with that and it's definitely true.

Nym messages however, work just fine.

> Anything out there equally secure and convenient, at least from the
> destination's POV?

In all honesty, how difficult is it to set up an app? It is not. No
complex learning curve unlike setting up a Nym. Seconds? A few short
minutes? No time at all. There are many journalists globally that
already use secure messengers and make their contacts available.

>> In the past several months, usage of Signal and Briar increased in the
>> Ukraine by people desperate for sending secure messages. Signal saw a
>> spike in it's user base, and Briar saw increased usage as well. These
>> are people who are not hobbyists, but had a real world need for
>> messaging security.
>
> That's acceptable with (publicly known) peer groups like families or
> whenever else the revelation of relationships is irrelevant. They just
> have to agree on a messaging protocol.

Precisely.

Jun 23, 2022, 11:22:47 PM6/23/22
On Fri, 24 Jun 2022 01:50:04 +0000, Anonymous <nob...@yamn.paranoici.org> wrote:
>experience

Johnny Allen Hendrix was born to James Allen & Lucille L Jeter-
Hendrix at King County Hospital (now Harborview Medical Center)
325 9th Ave. Seattle, Washington on Friday 27 November 1942 at
10:12 AM PWT (AA/BC).