Murder suspect Kevin Mason arrested in South St. Paul, 2 weeks after accidental release from Indianapolis jail

useapen

Oct 1, 2023, 1:50:59 AM10/1/23
ST. PAUL, Minn. — A Minneapolis murder suspect is now again behind bars
after he was mistakenly released from an Indianapolis jail earlier this
month.

The Marion County Sheriff's Office in Indiana announced that Kevin Mason
was arrested Wednesday in South St. Paul by the U.S. Marshal Service.

"I want to extend my thanks to everyone involved in assisting with the
arrest. The brave men and women of the USMS District of Minnesota worked
diligently and courageously to bring this wanted dangerous fugitive to
justice," Eddie M. Frizell, U.S. Marshal for the District of Minnesota,
said.

The USMS later confirmed with WCCO that the arrest occurred around 1 p.m.
on the 900 block of Summit Avenue. There were no incidents or injuries
during the arrest.

Mason, 28, was charged with second-degree murder in connection to the
fatal shooting of Dontevius Catchings in the Shiloh Temple parking lot in
June of 2021. The gunfire broke out during a visitation for a man who died
in a shootout in front of a downtown Minneapolis nightclub. Mason was
charged by warrant in Hennepin County roughly two months later.

After more than two years on the run, Mason was arrested in Indianapolis
on Sept. 11. But he was released two days later due to a mistake made by
jailhouse employees.

Marion County Sheriff Kerry Forestal said Mason's girlfriend picked up up
near the jail. A massive manhunt has been underway ever since - until
Wednesday's arrest.

"I would like to extend my sincere gratitude and congratulations to the
USMS for concluding this manhunt and safely bringing Mason back into
custody," Forestal said. "Our federal partners have kept us informed
throughout the entire process. We are truly thankful for their assistance
and wide resources — most specifically, their task force partnerships with
local law enforcement agencies that have allowed them to pursue Kevin
Mason throughout the country."

Mason is not facing charges in Indianapolis.

https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news/murder-suspect-kevin-mason-
arrested-in-st-paul-2-weeks-after-accidental-release-from-indianapolis-
jail/?intcid=CNR-01-0623