Former Oregon prison nurse sentenced to 30 years for sexually assaulting inmates

useapen

Oct 19, 2023, 4:25:07 AM10/19/23
An Oregon man who sexually assaulted female inmates while he was working
as a nurse at a correctional facility was sentenced Tuesday to 30 years in
prison, federal prosecutors said.

Tony Klein, 39, committed the assaults at the Coffee Creek Correctional
Facility, which is Oregon’s only state prison for women, from 2010 to
2017, officials have said. He began abusing women around 2012, according
to prosecutors.

He was found guilty in July after having previously been indicted on
charges of depriving the victims of their constitutional right not to be
subjected to cruel and unusual punishment.

Natalie Wight, the U.S. attorney for the District of Oregon, praised “the
courage and resolve” of his victims in a statement.

She said the sentence “sends a clear message that using a position of
authority to prey on individuals in custody will never be tolerated by the
Department of Justice.”

Klein made up reasons to get some women alone, the U.S. attorney’s office
said. He assaulted others during or around the time of medical
appointments, it said.

"The defendant preyed on his victims, knowing that they would not dare
report his crimes, because they would not be believed," prosecutors wrote
in a sentencing memorandum.

Prosecutors had asked for a 41-year sentence.

Seventeen women testified against Klein at trial. Some said he forced them
to have sex, while others said they believed they could face discipline if
they refused his advances, The Associated Press reported when he was
convicted.

A jury found Klein guilty on 17 counts of depriving his victims of their
constitutional rights and four counts of perjury.

Klein's defense team said that Klein was wrongfully convicted.

"We continue to believe Tony Klein is an innocent man," attorneys Matthew
McHenry and Amanda Thibeault said in a statement. They said Klein has
consistently denied committing the offenses and has passed two polygraph
examinations.

"We look forward to the opportunity to appeal Mr. Klein’s convictions and
are privileged to continue to support him and his family throughout that
process," they said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/former-oregon-prison-nurse-sentenced-
30-years-sexually-assaulting-inma-rcna121141

Bing Breep

Oct 20, 2023, 5:52:51 PM10/20/23
It wouldn't surprise me if the nurses working in prison are there because they are barred
from stepping foot on the grounds of a normal hospital.

"They're just dirty rotten criminals, who cares what happens to them?"

The onky thing about this story that surprises me is the amount
of prison time this nurse recieved. Guess someone needed to
look good come election time.