STATEMENT BY GEORGE STAMATIS (INTERNATIONAL YOUTH RIGHTS ACTIVIST) FOLLOWING THE NEWS OF THE DEATH OF THE RIGHT HONOURABLE PIERRE ELLIOTT TRUDEAU

George Stamatis

Sep 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/30/00
STATEMENT BY GEORGE STAMATIS (INTERNATIONAL YOUTH RIGHTS ACTIVIST)
FOLLOWING THE NEWS OF THE DEATH OF THE RIGHT HONOURABLE PIERRE ELLIOTT
TRUDEAU

September 29, 2000
Montreal, Quebec

George Stamatis (International Youth Rights Activist) expressed his deep
personal sadness today following
the news of the death of the Right Honourable Pierre Elliott Trudeau
(former Prime Minister of Canada):

"Pierre Trudeau, the embodiment of the dream of a just society, has left
us. He is gone but his unfinished
work remains -- our country, Canada.

Above all, the forces of change that he set in motion continue to shape
the soul of his people. A people
who, thanks to him, in ever greater numbers express themselves in both
of our official languages. A people
who celebrate the diverse roots of our identity. A compassionate people,
who reach out to the less fortunate.
A young people, with a profound love of freedom, justice and fairness.

Pierre Trudeau dreamed of a society that afforded all of its citizens an
equal opportunity to succeed in life
? whatever their background or beliefs; whether rich or poor. He
believed that what we had in common was the
source of our strength, and that what set us apart enriched all of us.
On the international stage, he gave us
a profile and stature well beyond our size and power. Wherever we were
in the world, he made us feel proud to
be Canadians - proud to have the immense privilege of being part of this
beautiful and great country.

A political giant, he was also a man, who, in his last days, suffered
terribly from the loss of his youngest
son, Michel. Today, they are together -- at peace.

Pierre, my friend, your dream is more alive than ever. Thank you.

On behalf of all canadian youth, my family joins me in expressing our
deepest condolences to his family."

George Stamatis
Youth Rights Activist
- Tel: 514-935-1980
- Tel: 514-935-1956

(PRESS RELEASE AVAILABLE IN FRENCH - COMMUNIQUE DE PRESS DISPONIBLE EN
FRANCAIS)