Re: Gemüsehändler Apostroph

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Aug 6, 2018, 6:11:12 AM8/6/18
In message <fsnrvn...@mid.individual.net>, Jim Easterbrook
<j...@jim-easterbrook.me.uk> writes:
>Somerats might be amused that greengrocers' apostrophes are to be found
>in German signs.
>https://flic.kr/p/28J9Myb
>https://flic.kr/p/274KRRY
>https://flic.kr/p/L4Ewet
[]
(The first one's particularly odd, as it's a backwards apostrophe.)
I see from the website quoted below at least the third one that they
call them "deppenapostroph"; my German's not good enough to work out
what that means.

*** KLAXON FOR (some) UMRATS - YOU KNOW WHAT I'VE DONE HERE. TIME FOR
YOU TO KILLFILE ME. *** (Others may agree with me that the spirit of the
two is similar - even to having a virtual pub; just one has a colada and
the other has Shires.)

"The wish of the lazy to allow unsupervised access [to the internet] to their
children should not reduce all adults browsing to the level of suitability for a
five-year-old." Yaman Akdeniz, quoted in Inter//face (The Times, 1999-2-10): p12