Does capitalisation extend to other forms?

1 view

J. P. Gilliver

Dec 20, 2023, 9:54:33 AM12/20/23
The remote meeting mechanism, Zoom, is usually given a capital Z, as it
is a "proper name".

Does this extend to verb forms - "we are zooming tomorrow"?

Same principle extended more generally: should Telexing, or even
Hoovering, be capitalised? What if - as in hoovering, at least in the UK
- the word has become a generic, and involves use of equipment not made
by the named manufacturer?

Then there is (what was) Twitter; should tweet(s) and tweeting be
capitalised? (I've yet to hear acceptable terms since the change of name
to X: nobody says "I sent an X" or "Fred Xed ...".)

The average age of a single mum in this country is 37
- Jane Rackham, RT 2016/5/28-6/3

Mack A. Damia

Dec 20, 2023, 1:17:41 PM12/20/23
On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 14:09:48 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
<G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:

>The remote meeting mechanism, Zoom, is usually given a capital Z, as it
>is a "proper name".
>
>Does this extend to verb forms - "we are zooming tomorrow"?
>
>Same principle extended more generally: should Telexing, or even
>Hoovering, be capitalised? What if - as in hoovering, at least in the UK
>- the word has become a generic, and involves use of equipment not made
>by the named manufacturer?
>
>Then there is (what was) Twitter; should tweet(s) and tweeting be
>capitalised? (I've yet to hear acceptable terms since the change of name
>to X: nobody says "I sent an X" or "Fred Xed ...".)

Look at some of the trade names that have become common-place words:
"cellophane, nylon, aspirin, band aid, bubble wrap, chap stick,
crock-pot, dry ice, dumpster, escalator, fiberglass, popsicle,
realtor, zipper, windbreaker and many others. Are they capitalized?

J. P. Gilliver

Dec 20, 2023, 7:14:59 PM12/20/23
In message <9jb6oi1gunjbfuf6t...@4ax.com> at Wed, 20 Dec
2023 10:17:36, Mack A. Damia <drstee...@yahoo.com> writes
Good point. So ones that have become common words probably aren't
capitalised - especially where the user is unaware they once _were_
trade names.

The question remains where they're still associated with a single
product (including a software product) - Zoom the facility is still
mostly capitalised, but should zooming be? Twitter is, but should a
tweet or Tweeting be? I guess there's no simple answer.

There's also the Fact that general Capitalisation of Nouns is back on
the Increase - rather like was the Case from say late 19th Century
backwards (I don't know why then - German Influence?). I find it rather
objectionable, but of course I can't stop it. (As a genealogist, I find
for example Parish and [marriage] Banns are nearly always capitalised -
even in printed forms.)

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. - Oscar Wilde