Read it and weep

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Apr 13, 2018, 12:21:10 PM4/13/18
Here's a reply I got from ebay - it's not as if it's a tiny company!

Thank you for writing to eBay with some valuable suggestions with
respect to the search result pages. I would be happy to assist you in
this case. I have reviewed your account and can see that you are finding
it hard to find the items near to your locations. Let me help you with
this issues. When you search any items, you can put in your location
code "NE# ###" or whichever needed in this case, in the box, which is

[No, it's on the left.]

located at right side besides the option "Postage to". Once you have put
in the code, you will need to click on "Go". This will help you to get

[There is no "Go" - there's a ">".]

the items near to the specified location codes. However, this is not
necessary, that all the items showing would be near to the location code
specified in the box. This is because, some listings will have higher
demand on the sites, due to which they may come up in the first pages.
Further, I have attempted to search one random item in your account
using the distance option and was able to see the listings near to the
postcodes. However, even in this, you may find few listings which are
more than specified limits and this is because, we such listings are
having high selling rates. However, we have taken your valuable
suggestions and forwarded it to the site development team, who will be
changing the search options, so that we can improve the search options
on the site. We like to appreciate your efforts that you have shown for
sending us with your valuable suggestions and we look forward with such
suggestions, which can help us to enhance the site. I am glad to have
received an opportunity to assist you today. Please let us know if we
can be of any further assistance. Kind Regards, Vijesh GeBay Customer
Support [THREAD ID: 1-1ZAM79BQ]From: eb...@255soft.uk
<eb...@255soft.uk>Sent: 4/13/2018 11:49:43 AMTo: ukcsw...@ebay.comCC:
Subject: GS=CU0757 Other suggestions [#UK ?01 ]Form message: %32200%
081605D_ID041320180448D_ID/W_ID453155008W_ID/S_ID003S_ID/C_ID5145569697C_
IDSubject: GS=CU0757 Other suggestions [#UK ?01 ] Member-stated user ID:
User feedback: 66User state: 01Browser info: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT
6.1; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0Help > Contact us > Other
suggestionsMessage: Search result listings. When a hit is "Collection
only", having it also show the location would save users a VAST amount
of time. At present, I have to go into each such hit to find where it is
(to see if it'd be. There's plenty of room in the search result listing,
and it wouldn't spoil the aesthetic of the search result listing, or at
least the added convenience would more than outweigh any such.)[Also:
the distance filtering isn't working. I specified 20 miles from a
postcode in mid-Kent, and was still getting hits from Manchester,
Yorkshire, and similar.]eBay Document ID: 56426006008<p>
_____________________________________________ eBay is committed to
your privacy. Read our user agreement and privacy notice. Learn how to
recognise fake (spoof) emails.
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/user-agreement.html
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/privacy-policy.html
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/account/recognizing-spoof.html
Copyright © 2017 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks
and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the
eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. eBay (UK) Limited is located in 5
New Street Square, London EC4A 3TW, United Kingdom.

[Where they've quoted back what I'd typed into their webform, they've
removed ALL newlines, thus making it into just a solid block of text.
This is, sadly, _very_ common in the software companies use to handle
webform submissions - to the extent that I am very surprised when I find
one that _doesn't_ do it!]

OK, Vijesh did better in my language than I could in his. But, I'm not
being employed to speak his language, nor claiming that I could.

"There is no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes." - Billy
Connolly, in his World Tour of England, Ireland and Wales, 4 March 2002 (BBC1).