O'Dear!

Peter Duncanson [BrE]

Apr 20, 2018, 8:58:07 AM4/20/18
There is a news item today about an upcoming referendum in the Republic
of Ireland. Many expatriates want to vote so the Irish Government has
set up a website so that such people can check if they are on the
electoral register.

The report says: "It has an unfortunate glitch that affects the Irish
more than most. The site doesn't recognise any surnames with
apostrophes"!

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

Mr On!on

Apr 20, 2018, 9:42:46 AM4/20/18
Peter Duncanson [BrE] <ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote:

> There is a news item today about an upcoming referendum in the Republic
> of Ireland. Many expatriates want to vote so the Irish Government has
> set up a website so that such people can check if they are on the
> electoral register.
>
> The report says: "It has an unfortunate glitch that affects the Irish
> more than most. The site doesn't recognise any surnames with
> apostrophes"!

"Father Christmas is Irish, his first name is 'O'."

~~ S. Milligna,

See also: "I'm Walking Backwards For Christmas".

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e61uC-5s9VU>

--
\|/
(((د))) U+97F1

Wearing an On!on on his belt, which was the style at the time.

Peter Moylan

Apr 20, 2018, 10:06:55 AM4/20/18
On 20/04/18 22:58, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:
> There is a news item today about an upcoming referendum in the
> Republic of Ireland. Many expatriates want to vote so the Irish
> Government has set up a website so that such people can check if they
> are on the electoral register.
>
> The report says: "It has an unfortunate glitch that affects the
> Irish more than most. The site doesn't recognise any surnames with
> apostrophes"!

Turning the apostrophe into a fada should get around the problem. Unless
of course the web site also blocks Irish names that haven't been anglicised.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

John Varela

Apr 20, 2018, 1:37:38 PM4/20/18
On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 12:58:07 UTC, "Peter Duncanson [BrE]"
<ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote:

> There is a news item today about an upcoming referendum in the Republic
> of Ireland. Many expatriates want to vote so the Irish Government has
> set up a website so that such people can check if they are on the
> electoral register.
>
> The report says: "It has an unfortunate glitch that affects the Irish
> more than most. The site doesn't recognise any surnames with
> apostrophes"!

I had a friend (now deceased) named O'Flynn who expressed contempt
for people named Flynn, who had "dropped the O' into the ocean on
the way over."

--
John Varela

Peter Young

Apr 23, 2018, 12:39:17 PM4/23/18
On 20 Apr 2018 "Peter Duncanson [BrE]" <ma...@peterduncanson.net>
wrote:

> There is a news item today about an upcoming referendum in the Republic
> of Ireland. Many expatriates want to vote so the Irish Government has
> set up a website so that such people can check if they are on the
> electoral register.

> The report says: "It has an unfortunate glitch that affects the Irish
> more than most. The site doesn't recognise any surnames with
> apostrophes"!

I think you'll find that in Irish Gaelic the apostrophe in the "O"
surnames doesn't exist.

Peter.

--
Peter Young and family
http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk

Peter Moylan

Apr 23, 2018, 2:53:26 PM4/23/18
On 24/04/18 02:37, Peter Young wrote:
> On 20 Apr 2018 "Peter Duncanson [BrE]" <ma...@peterduncanson.net>
> wrote:
>
>> There is a news item today about an upcoming referendum in the Republic
>> of Ireland. Many expatriates want to vote so the Irish Government has
>> set up a website so that such people can check if they are on the
>> electoral register.
>
>> The report says: "It has an unfortunate glitch that affects the Irish
>> more than most. The site doesn't recognise any surnames with
>> apostrophes"!
>
> I think you'll find that in Irish Gaelic the apostrophe in the "O"
> surnames doesn't exist.

Hello Muddah