Apostrophe Protection Society shuts down

Dave Garrett

Dec 2, 2019, 3:47:35 PM12/2/19
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/apostrophe-society-shuts-down-
because-ignorance-has-won-a4301391.html

https://preview.tinyurl.com/s3x6u2h

Apostrophe society shuts down because 'ignorance and laziness have won'

A society dedicated to preserving the correct use of the apostrophe has
shut down because "ignorance has won".

Retired journalist John Richards, 96, started the Apostrophe Protection
Society in 2001 to make sure the ?much-abused? punctuation mark was
being used correctly.

But Mr Richards has now announced: ?With regret I have to announce that,
after some 18 years, I have decided to close the Apostrophe Protection
Society.

?There are two reasons for this. One is that at 96 I am cutting back on
my commitments and the second is that fewer organisations and
individuals are now caring about the correct use of the apostrophe in
the English Language."

He added: ?We, and our many supporters worldwide, have done our best but
the ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won.?

Mr Richards started the society after seeing the "same mistakes over and
over again" and hoped he would find half a dozen people who felt the
same way.

"I didn't find half a dozen people," he said on his website.

"Instead, within a month of my plaint appearing in a national newspaper,
I received over 500 letters of support, not only from all corners of the
United Kingdom, but also from America, Australia, France, Sweden, Hong
Kong and Canada."

His website lists three simple rules for the correct use of the
apostrophe.

The rules Mr Richards gave for apostrophes are: They are used to denote
a missing letter or letters, they are used to denote possession and
apostrophes are never ever used to denote plurals.

--
Dave

Graham.

Dec 3, 2019, 6:05:16 AM12/3/19