"so far as"?

J. P. Gilliver

Oct 29, 2023, 11:59:42 AM10/29/23
"I haven't seen anything (other than X's own substitution of 'repost'
for 'retweet'), but then I haven't been looking particularly. The tw-
words are still in pretty widespread use so far as I can see."

I would have said "as far as"; what does the 'group think?

In 1969, Britain had towns full of soot, blackened buildings, and half the
population had no TV or cars - or inside loos. - James Burke, RT 2019/7/6-12

Mack A. Damia

Oct 29, 2023, 5:03:52 PM10/29/23
On Sun, 29 Oct 2023 15:54:09 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
<G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:

>"I haven't seen anything (other than X's own substitution of 'repost'
>for 'retweet'), but then I haven't been looking particularly. The tw-
>words are still in pretty widespread use so far as I can see."
>
>I would have said "as far as"; what does the 'group think?

Pardon my ignorance, but is this an addition to another post? I don't
understand a word of it. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but
I am not the dullest by far.

Who is "X"?

What are tw-words?

J. P. Gilliver

Oct 30, 2023, 12:10:17 AM10/30/23
In message <hvhtjidukl53jj0au...@4ax.com> at Sun, 29 Oct
2023 14:03:47, Mack A. Damia <drstee...@yahoo.com> writes
The bit in "" was a response on X (formerly twitter) to a discussion of
what words to use now twitter has changed its name; however, for the
purposes of APIHNA (in its secondary use as general language discussion
rather than specifically the possessive its), I was just asking about
"so far as".

X is what twitter is now called.

The tw-words are "tweet" (verb and noun) and "retweet".

... behaving morally does not require religious adherence. - The Right Rev
Nigel McCulloch\Bishop of Manchester (Radio Times, 24-30 September 2011

Andy Burns

Oct 30, 2023, 4:10:08 AM10/30/23
J. P. Gilliver wrote:

> I was just asking about "so far as".

I would say "as far as", but "so far as" doesn't actually sound wrong to me.

Mack A. Damia

Oct 30, 2023, 5:44:31 AM10/30/23
On Mon, 30 Oct 2023 03:59:18 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
<G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:

>In message <hvhtjidukl53jj0au...@4ax.com> at Sun, 29 Oct
>2023 14:03:47, Mack A. Damia <drstee...@yahoo.com> writes
>>On Sun, 29 Oct 2023 15:54:09 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
>><G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>"I haven't seen anything (other than X's own substitution of 'repost'
>>>for 'retweet'), but then I haven't been looking particularly. The tw-
>>>words are still in pretty widespread use so far as I can see."
>>>
>>>I would have said "as far as"; what does the 'group think?
>>
>>Pardon my ignorance, but is this an addition to another post? I don't
>>understand a word of it. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but
>>I am not the dullest by far.
>>
>>Who is "X"?
>>
>>What are tw-words?
>>

>The bit in "" was a response on X (formerly twitter) to a discussion of
>what words to use now twitter has changed its name; however, for the
>purposes of APIHNA (in its secondary use as general language discussion
>rather than specifically the possessive its), I was just asking about
>"so far as".
>
>X is what twitter is now called.

I have never used Twitter or "X" and never intend to.

>The tw-words are "tweet" (verb and noun) and "retweet".

That was the most confusing as retweet isn't really a tw word in my
mind.

Daniel James

Nov 2, 2023, 10:19:55 AM11/2/23
On 29/10/2023 15:54, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> I would have said "as far as"; what does the 'group think?

To my mind "as far as" and "so far as" are more-or-less equivalent.

As to the rest:

Q: What is twitter?
A: What twits do.

and now:

Q: What is X?
A: An unknown.

--
Cheers,
Daniel.

J. P. Gilliver

Nov 2, 2023, 11:50:14 AM11/2/23
In message <ui0b68$27plr$1...@dont-email.me> at Thu, 2 Nov 2023 14:20:23,
Daniel James <dan...@me.invalid> writes
>On 29/10/2023 15:54, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> I would have said "as far as"; what does the 'group think?
>
>To my mind "as far as" and "so far as" are more-or-less equivalent.

I didn't think it was wrong, but it just struck me as unusual.

>As to the rest:
>
>Q: What is twitter?
>A: What twits do.

It's all too easy to mock, but everyone's Twitter (or X) is different,
depending who and what tags they follow. I've found mine not dissimilar
to the usenet 'groups I follow (usenet is similarly individual, based on
choice of 'groups).

>and now:
>
>Q: What is X?
>A: An unknown.

Indeed. We don't know what's coming.

You cannot simply assume someone is honest just because they are not an MP.

Graham.

Nov 16, 2023, 8:47:57 AM11/16/23
Clarify a post=x-pound
Delete a post=x-terminate
Blacklist poster=x-clude
Cyberstalk etc.=x-ploit
x-etera, x-etera, x-etera.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

J. P. Gilliver

Nov 16, 2023, 9:35:30 AM11/16/23
In message <uj56ib$29m84$1...@dont-email.me> at Thu, 16 Nov 2023 13:47:55,
Graham. <graham...@mail.com> writes
>Clarify a post=x-pound
>Delete a post=x-terminate
>Blacklist poster=x-clude
>Cyberstalk etc.=x-ploit
>x-etera, x-etera, x-etera.

I don't understand the above post.

so that the vendors can "serve you better". As if you were a tennis ball, I
guess. - Wolf K, in alt.windows7.general, 2014-7-21