Google Группы больше не поддерживают новые публикации и подписки в сети Usenet. Опубликованный ранее контент останется доступен.

Re: Backup Program for Win7?

3 просмотра

J. P. Gilliver (John)

не прочитано,
10 июн. 2019 г., 11:35:2510.06.2019
In message <MPG.37683eeeb...@news.individual.net>, Stan Brown
<the_sta...@fastmail.fm> writes:
>On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 02:47:24 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> I sometimes like to Anglicise to excess for humorous purposes -
>> such as a performance of Requiem by Joe Green, that might feature
>> contributions from Peaceful Sunday and Joe Churches ...
>

>You might like this:
>https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/cross_fac/complexity/people/students/dtc/st
>udents2011/maitland/fun/

I do indeed! It makes you think: "a bulkbit of one of the forestuffs
making up flesh may have a thousand thousand or more unclefts of these
two firststuffs together with coalstuff and chokestuff" = "a molecule of
an organic compound may have a million atoms of these two elements
together with carbon and [I haven't worked out chokestuff yet]".

>It's a survey of atomic physics by sf writer Frederik Pohl, using
>only words and affixes of Germanic origin. Hence: "Uncleftish" for
>"atomic", and so forth.

I enjoyed some of FP's works when I was an SF reader; I didn't know he
was a linguaphile.

Hang on - it's (according to the above URL) not FP, but Poul Anderson.
(I enjoyed his work too.)

I admire you British: when things get tough, you reach for humour. Not
firearms. - Sigourney (Susan) Weaver, RT 2017/11/4-10

Stan Brown

не прочитано,
10 июн. 2019 г., 17:14:2010.06.2019
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 16:35:03 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message <MPG.37683eeeb...@news.individual.net>, Stan Brown
> <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> writes:
> > [quoted text muted]
> >
> >You might like this:
> >https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/cross_fac/complexity/people/students/dtc/st
> >udents2011/maitland/fun/
>
> I do indeed! It makes you think: "a bulkbit of one of the forestuffs
> making up flesh may have a thousand thousand or more unclefts of these
> two firststuffs together with coalstuff and chokestuff" = "a molecule of
> an organic compound may have a million atoms of these two elements
> together with carbon and [I haven't worked out chokestuff yet]".

Nitrogen, I believe. Real-life German, according to Asimov, calls
nitrogen Stickstoff, and Asimov glosses it as "suffocation-
substance", consistent with Anderson's "Chokestuff".

> Hang on - it's (according to the above URL) not FP, but Poul
> Anderson. (I enjoyed his work too.)

OOPS -- thanks for the correction. Somehow those two have been
associated in my mind all these years -- it's the similar sounds of
"Poul" and "Pohl".

L. Sprague de Camp also had a fine ear for language. In /Lest
Darkness Fall/, his hero is transported to sixth-century Rome and has
to deal with the mish-mash of languages there. And in "The Wheels of
If", the alternative reality is one where the Normal Conquest never
happened, so English has VERY few Romance loan-words. All of the
dialog in the story follows that principle.

http://BrownMath.com/
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Shikata ga nai...

J. P. Gilliver (John)

не прочитано,
11 июн. 2019 г., 02:32:5811.06.2019
In message <MPG.376892377...@news.individual.net>, Stan Brown
<the_sta...@fastmail.fm> writes:
>On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 16:35:03 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> In message <MPG.37683eeeb...@news.individual.net>, Stan Brown
>> <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> writes:
>> > [quoted text muted]
>> >
>> >You might like this:
>> >https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/cross_fac/complexity/people/students/dtc/st
>> >udents2011/maitland/fun/
>>
>> I do indeed! It makes you think: "a bulkbit of one of the forestuffs
>> making up flesh may have a thousand thousand or more unclefts of these
>> two firststuffs together with coalstuff and chokestuff" = "a molecule of
>> an organic compound may have a million atoms of these two elements
>> together with carbon and [I haven't worked out chokestuff yet]".
>
>Nitrogen, I believe. Real-life German, according to Asimov, calls
>nitrogen Stickstoff, and Asimov glosses it as "suffocation-
>substance", consistent with Anderson's "Chokestuff".

Yes, I got that in the end. I forwarded the link to my brother
(associate editor on the dictionary), and he enjoyed it (said it's a
good example of Saxonism), and reminded me of some other examples: Percy
Grainger the composer, for example, tried to bring English into music to
replace Italian - not only replacing molto crescendo with a little
louder, but also calling a viola a middle fiddle.

>> Hang on - it's (according to the above URL) not FP, but Poul
>> Anderson. (I enjoyed his work too.)
>
>OOPS -- thanks for the correction. Somehow those two have been
>associated in my mind all these years -- it's the similar sounds of
>"Poul" and "Pohl".
>
>L. Sprague de Camp also had a fine ear for language. In /Lest
>Darkness Fall/, his hero is transported to sixth-century Rome and has
>to deal with the mish-mash of languages there. And in "The Wheels of
>If", the alternative reality is one where the Normal Conquest never
>happened, so English has VERY few Romance loan-words. All of the
>dialog in the story follows that principle.

Must make it a bit heavy-going to read! Pratchett, from the bits people
have read to me, had a way with language too (I've never actually read
any), and of course back in 1948 or so, Orwell in "1984" had "new-speak"
- "double-plus un-good".

What has happened since 1979, I suspect, is that the spotting of mistakes has
become entirely associated with mean-spiritedness, snobbishness and
judgementalism. But...can be...funny and interesting.
Lynn Truss, RT 2015/2/21-27
0 новых сообщений