Remembering Monday on a gloomy Wednesday

umar

May 5, 2021, 5:31:56 PM5/5/21
After having got all my work tasks done by 2 pm Monday, i decided to
go for a walk. I went down to a nearby pond, following a trail along an
old aqueduct and then along a brook to the pond. I heard toads singing!
If you've never heard the song of the American toad, it is a long
musical trill lasting up to 30 seconds. Before the first toad finishes,
another will come in on a slightly different note. It is one of the
more enjoyable sounds of spring in New England.

When I reached the pond, my phone rang and I sat down on a bench
next to a family of Canada geese, who were pecking away at the grass
and looking nervously at passing dogs. I hadn't realized goslings had
begun hatching.

The logs in the pond were crowded with painted turtles basking in the
sun.

umar

Ken Wright

May 5, 2021, 11:49:34 PM5/5/21
Sounds lovely!

Ken

songbird

May 6, 2021, 10:05:17 AM5/6/21
umar wrote:
> The logs in the pond were crowded with painted turtles basking in the
> sun.

painted turtles are beautiful. :) i wish i had taken pictures
of the last one i found as it was a fairly nice sized one (about
9 inches long).

i haven't seen one in a few years here (we're not near a pond),
but if i see them trying to cross the road i'll stop and move
them over.

i like froggies, toads and other creatures too:

https://www.anthive.com/project/frogs/
https://www.anthive.com/project/killdeer/
https://www.anthive.com/project/insects/
https://www.anthive.com/project/critters/
https://www.anthive.com/project/worms/

songbird

umar

May 6, 2021, 5:12:00 PM5/6/21
On 2021-05-06, songbird <song...@anthive.com> wrote:
> umar wrote:

> i haven't seen one in a few years here (we're not near a pond),
> but if i see them trying to cross the road i'll stop and move
> them over.

I had to move a snapping turtle across the road on Cape Cod a few years
ago. Traffic was stopped, and I saw the problem was a large turtle in
the middle of the road. So, I got out of my car, approached the turtle
from behind, slid one hand under its lower shell while keeping well out
of the way of its jaws and claws, and scooted it across. I actually got
applause from some of the drivers.

> https://www.anthive.com/project/frogs/

Those are all hylids with adhesive feet. We have two of them in my part
of the country: the spring peeper, a small brown frog with a dark X
across its back; and the gray tree frog, which I rarely see but
colleagues have encountered around and sometimes even inside their
houses.

Do you live in the Pacific tree frog's range? That is the frog that goes
"ribbit, ribbit"; as far as I know it's the only one in the world that
does.

> https://www.anthive.com/project/killdeer/

Wow. Every time I try to get a picture of a bird, they tend to fly away.
I've had pretty good luck with wild turkeys and Canada geese, through.

> https://www.anthive.com/project/insects/

Here we have monarch butterflies, which I usually see in August and
September. I have seen a caterpillar, but not in a while.

Unless I'm mistaken, the yellow and black butterfly is a swallowtail; we
have those here too.

> https://www.anthive.com/project/critters/

I see hawks fairly frequently here, but I'm not skilled enough to tell a
red-tailed from a red-shouldered. There are ospreys along the coast both
north (Maine) and south (Cape Cod, Rhode Island) of me. And once in a
while someone reports a bald eagle, although they're more common in
Maine.

There are supposed to be peregrine falcons in Boston, nesting on the
tall buildings and preying on the local pigeon population, but I've
never seen one.

> https://www.anthive.com/project/worms/

Fascinating.

umar

songbird

May 8, 2021, 10:03:21 AM5/8/21
umar wrote:
> On 2021-05-06, songbird wrote:
>> umar wrote:
>
>> i haven't seen one in a few years here (we're not near a pond),
>> but if i see them trying to cross the road i'll stop and move
>> them over.
>
> I had to move a snapping turtle across the road on Cape Cod a few years
> ago. Traffic was stopped, and I saw the problem was a large turtle in
> the middle of the road. So, I got out of my car, approached the turtle
> from behind, slid one hand under its lower shell while keeping well out
> of the way of its jaws and claws, and scooted it across. I actually got
> applause from some of the drivers.

:) they're amazing creatures too, but for much different reasons
besides color. many years ago when i was living in Southern Toledo
the park i walked at had a pathway which was used by quite a few
people and there was a large snapping turtle crossing it, very-very
slowly. all i could see was someone coming around the corner on a
bike and hitting it so i tried to make sure people were warned
until it got all the way across the path. it was one of those that
had an entire ecosystem living up on top of the shell with all the
plants and dirt from the pond it had up there. there was no way
in heck i would get my hand anywhere near it. aside from sea
turtles i'd not seen a bigger turtle.

>> https://www.anthive.com/project/frogs/
>
> Those are all hylids with adhesive feet. We have two of them in my part
> of the country: the spring peeper, a small brown frog with a dark X
> across its back; and the gray tree frog, which I rarely see but
> colleagues have encountered around and sometimes even inside their
> houses.
>
> Do you live in the Pacific tree frog's range? That is the frog that goes
> "ribbit, ribbit"; as far as I know it's the only one in the world that
> does.

they don't get as far east as Michigan that i can tell.

>> https://www.anthive.com/project/killdeer/
>
> Wow. Every time I try to get a picture of a bird, they tend to fly away.
> I've had pretty good luck with wild turkeys and Canada geese, through.

this pair have been very tame compared to most. i try to say
hello to the babies when they hatch so they know who i am.

>> https://www.anthive.com/project/insects/
>
> Here we have monarch butterflies, which I usually see in August and
> September. I have seen a caterpillar, but not in a while.
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, the yellow and black butterfly is a swallowtail; we
> have those here too.

:) monarchs are not common any longer but i can sometimes
find them feeding on the butterfly weed (orange flowers) and
other milkweeds. the problem though is that milkweeds can be
rather invasive in formal gardens and Mom gets upset at that
so we don't have them around here nearly as much as i'd like.

>> https://www.anthive.com/project/critters/
>
> I see hawks fairly frequently here, but I'm not skilled enough to tell a
> red-tailed from a red-shouldered. There are ospreys along the coast both
> north (Maine) and south (Cape Cod, Rhode Island) of me. And once in a
> while someone reports a bald eagle, although they're more common in
> Maine.
>
> There are supposed to be peregrine falcons in Boston, nesting on the
> tall buildings and preying on the local pigeon population, but I've
> never seen one.

i'm not really skilled on bird identification either as
some still elude me.

>> https://www.anthive.com/project/worms/
>
> Fascinating.

it's good fun and nice to have for the middle of the winter
when outside dirt therapy is otherwise hard to accomplish. :)

songbird