question?

CrystalPixie

Apr 16, 2001, 8:46:11 PM4/16/01
Hello everyone,

I've just found this newsgroup (as I've only recently had the need for the
information I would find herein) and I have a question. My mate of two and a
half years have found a new girlfriend, we've all hit it off pretty well and
are seriously thinking about a permanent situation. My question is, now that
the term "couple" no longer applies, what do we "call" ourselves?
Bright Blessings with Love and Light,
CrystalPixie

Elynne

Apr 16, 2001, 8:54:14 PM4/16/01

Asparagus? A triangle? Pants? :)

I call my family "my family," because it's a lot easier and shorter than
saying "my husband, his girlfriend, my mate, my virtual-sister, her
boy-of-choice, and myself."

You'll probably get some more useful suggestions from other folks, never
fear. By the way, hello and welcome!

Elynne, who isn't feeling particularly useful today

--
My web-page-esque-thing: http://www.tomorrowlands.org/elynne/index.html
"There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and

CrystalPixie

Apr 16, 2001, 10:06:56 PM4/16/01
>Asparagus?

eww.
>A triangle?

maybe.

> Pants? :)

that's it! lol

>I call my family "my family,"

understandable, but we aren't to the point where we "feel" completely like
family yet...

who knows....

> By the way, hello and welcome!

hewwo :o) thank you!

>Elynne, who isn't feeling particularly useful today

I feel like that all the time.

CrystalPixie

Apr 16, 2001, 10:04:19 PM4/16/01
>My mate of two and a
>half years have found a new girlfriend,

I'm sorry- that should have read my mate and I...

Miche

Apr 16, 2001, 11:29:24 PM4/16/01
In article <20010416204611...@ng-co1.aol.com>,
p5p...@aol.comblahblah (CrystalPixie) wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I've just found this newsgroup (as I've only recently had the need for the
> information I would find herein) and I have a question. My mate of two and a
> half years have found a new girlfriend, we've all hit it off pretty well and
> are seriously thinking about a permanent situation. My question is, now that
> the term "couple" no longer applies, what do we "call" ourselves?

Whatever you like. People here have all sorts of terms for the partners
in their lives and the arrangements they have formed with them. Talk
among yourselves and find something mutually agreeable.

Miche

--
"... in the physics of the heart, distance is relative;
it is time that is absolute."

Jim Roberts

Apr 16, 2001, 11:37:42 PM4/16/01

CrystalPixie wrote:

May I suggest that you learn English before posting?

jimbat

Angi Long

Apr 16, 2001, 11:43:59 PM4/16/01
This one time (16 Apr 2001), at band camp,

Wow, what a wonderfully simple question (of all the questions you
could have at this point :). "Triad" is one common term.

-- Angi Long of House Windstalker

--
please use my reply-to address, not my from address

B.C. Holmes

Apr 16, 2001, 10:51:35 PM4/16/01
On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 19:54:14 -0500, Elynne <ely...@eris.io.com> wrote:

>Asparagus?

That works. 'Tis the dawning of that age, y'know.

BCing you
--
B.C. Holmes \u2625 http://www.bcholmes.org/
"Ellie: Funny, I've always believed that the world is what we make

PapaBear

Apr 17, 2001, 12:43:03 AM4/17/01
"B.C. Holmes" <bcn...@bcholmes.org> wrote in message

> On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 19:54:14 -0500, Elynne <ely...@eris.io.com> wrote:
>
> >Asparagus?
>
> That works. 'Tis the dawning of that age, y'know.

Somehow I don't think "Hair" would have been a big hit if the opening number
was "The Age Of Asparagus!"

hehehe

PapaBear
--
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough

CrystalPixie

Apr 17, 2001, 10:32:35 AM4/17/01

>May I suggest that you learn English before posting?

I'm sorry- could you point out my error? I only found one and I corrected it
with a reply post.

RJ

Apr 17, 2001, 10:30:27 AM4/17/01
On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, B.C. Holmes wrote:

}On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 19:54:14 -0500, Elynne <ely...@eris.io.com> wrote:
}
}>Asparagus?
}
} That works. 'Tis the dawning of that age, y'know.

LOL!

Why do I get the feeling my gwoing poly idiom file is about to grow
a little bit larger and greener? :-)

RJ

--
I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your
right to mis-attribute this quote to Voltaire. --Avram Grumer

= ar...@rahul.net === Copyright 2001 RJ Johnson === r...@xocolatl.com =

CrystalPixie

Apr 17, 2001, 10:33:46 AM4/17/01
> what a wonderfully simple question (of all the questions you
>could have at this point :).

heh, no kidding :o)

> "Triad" is one common term.

thank you.

Janet Hardy

Apr 17, 2001, 10:51:45 AM4/17/01

"CrystalPixie" <p5p...@aol.comblahblah> wrote in message

> >I call my family "my family,"
>
> understandable, but we aren't to the point where we "feel" completely like
> family yet...

If I'm want to talk about one or more of the people I love, I refer to them
collectively as "my sweeties." YMMV.

Verdant
www.greenerypress.com

one guileless rose

Apr 17, 2001, 12:32:59 PM4/17/01
CrystalPixie <p5p...@aol.comblahblah> wrote:

> My question is, now that the term "couple" no longer applies, what do we
> "call" ourselves?

A few. If there are two of you, it's a couple of people. If there are
three of you, there's a few people. So you can say "We're a few".

I also like terms like "we" and "us"--expandable to "we three" and "the
three of us" whenever necessary.

Welcome aboard!

--Rose

--
I want to do my own mending.
Why? { http://i.am/rwp * r...@i.am }

one guileless rose

Apr 17, 2001, 12:32:58 PM4/17/01
B.C. Holmes <bcn...@bcholmes.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 19:54:14 -0500, Elynne <ely...@eris.io.com> wrote:
>
> >Asparagus?
>
> That works. 'Tis the dawning of that age, y'know.

This is the spawning of the cage and aquarium o/~

--Rose, humming softly

Louise

Apr 17, 2001, 12:44:07 PM4/17/01
In article <20010416204611...@ng-co1.aol.com>,
p5p...@aol.comblahblah (CrystalPixie) wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
> I've just found this newsgroup (as I've only recently had the need for the
>information I would find herein) and I have a question. My mate of two and a
>half years have found a new girlfriend, we've all hit it off pretty well and
>are seriously thinking about a permanent situation. My question is, now that
>the term "couple" no longer applies, what do we "call" ourselves?

I can't think of any situation where one would use the word 'couple',
where there aren't other ways of describing yourselves. Lots of those
other ways still work. In many situations you don't *need* to offer
new acquaintances a definition of your relationship - they may assume
something, they may ask ... but often it really doesn't matter.

"No thank you, I don't want to buy any of that hair product; I think
somebody at our house has some."

"Hi, I'm E. This is J".
"Hi, E. Hi, J. Nice to meet you. I'm R. This is L, and this is P".

"Last year the whole gang of us went to Edmonton and it was a lot of
fun, but I don't know what we're doing this summer."

"Oh yes, we'd love to come. There will be three of us and maybe four,
but one of the kids has something else on."

Louise

Thoroughly Modern Piglet

Apr 17, 2001, 3:02:01 PM4/17/01
p5p...@aol.comblahblah (CrystalPixie), in article <20010416204611...@ng-co1.aol.com>, dixit:

> I've just found this newsgroup (as I've only recently had the need for the
>information I would find herein) and I have a question. My mate of two and a
>half years have found a new girlfriend, we've all hit it off pretty well and
>are seriously thinking about a permanent situation. My question is, now that
>the term "couple" no longer applies, what do we "call" ourselves?

I see you've gotten several responses that it doesn't matter --- which
it doesn't particularly, but new words are fun, especially with new
ideas.

So, how about 'trio'?
--
Piglet, pig...@piglet.org

86 days down Ann B. for President!
1374 to go. Burlingham/Burlingham in 2004!

Bill Seligman

Apr 17, 2001, 4:04:30 PM4/17/01
RJ wrote:

> Why do I get the feeling my gwoing poly idiom file is about to grow
> a little bit larger and greener? :-)

RJ, is this poly idion file available to the public yet?

I keep forgetting this newsgroup's vocabulary. I have no idea when it's
appropriate to feel frubbly when someone poings with their squirrels.

-- Bill

Elynne

Apr 17, 2001, 4:41:13 PM4/17/01

*gigglegigglesnortgiggle* I second that... *gigglesnort*

Elynne, giving you a "Seebling!" t-shirt :)

Elynne

Apr 17, 2001, 4:44:52 PM4/17/01
On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, B.C. Holmes wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 19:54:14 -0500, Elynne <ely...@eris.io.com> wrote:
> >Asparagus?
> That works. 'Tis the dawning of that age, y'know.
> BCing you

*splurf* *gigglegigglesnortgiggle*

Elynne, finding lots of giggleriffic stuff around here today

Aahz Maruch

Apr 17, 2001, 4:45:22 PM4/17/01
In article <3ADCA1CE...@nevis.columbia.edu>,

Bill Seligman <seli...@nevis.columbia.edu> wrote:

>I have no idea when it's
>appropriate to feel frubbly when someone poings with their squirrels.

May I use this in my .sigfile? What attribution would you prefer?
--
--- Aahz <*> (Copyright 2001 by aa...@pobox.com)

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het Pythonista http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"If we had some ham, we could have ham & eggs, if we had some eggs." --RH

RJ

Apr 17, 2001, 5:12:36 PM4/17/01
On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Bill Seligman wrote:

}RJ wrote:
}
}> Why do I get the feeling my gwoing poly idiom file is about to grow
}> a little bit larger and greener? :-)
}
}RJ, is this poly idion file available to the public yet?

No, not by a long shot.

My plan is to take a break from posting to alt.poly after apc7 and
devote the time I spend pissing around, er, reading and crafting
careful replies to the newsgroup to the task of writing the damn
idiom FAQ.

}I keep forgetting this newsgroup's vocabulary. I have no idea when it's
}appropriate to feel frubbly when someone poings with their squirrels.

ObGAS: Just make sure that you don't try to squish zir datapoints
otherwise you'll have to mop up the remaining boinks with zir
t-shirts. And that might hit zir button.

BTW "frubbly" makes more sense to me now that I think of hearing it
with a British accent.

RJ
Who just reviewed his "idiom" file and was amused at who he knows
better now than he did when this first started.

Lars P. Fischer

Apr 17, 2001, 5:58:29 PM4/17/01

p5p...@aol.comblahblah (CrystalPixie) writes:

> My question is, now that the term "couple" no longer applies, what
> do we "call" ourselves?

Back when we where all much younger, many who did not find
"soc.couples" of interest ended up on the "triples"
mailing list. But then, you'd have to change the terminology again of
you add another member to you family.

I'd go for "family". It works for 1 and for 7.

/Lars
--
The Internet never retreats -- Vint Cerf

Bill Seligman

Apr 17, 2001, 6:26:28 PM4/17/01
Elynne wrote:

> Elynne, giving you a "Seebling!" t-shirt :)

Uhh... I grok t-shirt, but what's a "Seebling"?

Is that like "See a bling, pick it up, and all the day you'll have good
luck?"

-- Bill

Bill Seligman

Apr 17, 2001, 6:27:26 PM4/17/01
Aahz Maruch wrote:

> In article <3ADCA1CE...@nevis.columbia.edu>,
> Bill Seligman <seli...@nevis.columbia.edu> wrote:
> >
> >I have no idea when it's
> >appropriate to feel frubbly when someone poings with their squirrels.
>
> May I use this in my .sigfile? What attribution would you prefer?

Sure. Just attribute it to Bill Seligman, I guess.

-- Bill

Liana

Apr 17, 2001, 6:36:48 PM4/17/01

I don't frequently find an occasion to refer to "us as a group" indirectly.
When I do, in addition to some of the fine suggestions offered by others,
I sometimes use the term "n-tuple".

Liana

Elynne

Apr 17, 2001, 7:02:10 PM4/17/01
On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Bill Seligman wrote:
> Elynne wrote:
> > Elynne, giving you a "Seebling!" t-shirt :)
> Uhh... I grok t-shirt, but what's a "Seebling"?

It's a variation on the cry of "Brother!" "Sibling" for being
gender-neutral; I don't know where the extra "ee" comes from. Possibly a
squeal of happiness. Noodling on the idea without any real clue whether
I'm even close, I'd say that one "seebles" when one encounters another
person who seems to share "family background" with one. "T-shirt" means
that one has had a strikingly similar experience to that outlined by
another person. "Squish" is when another person expresses a thought or
opinion that is virtually identical to - um, one's.

So, for example:

"I went to the grocery store today - I just love browsing in the condiment
aisle."

"Seebling! The condiment aisle is my favorite place! One time, I found a
jar of pickled lark's tongues, but another shopper snagged it off the
shelf before I could put it in my basket."

"I see we have similar t-shirts. I have yet to be able to hold onto a jar
of pickled lark's tongues long enough to find out what they actually taste
like. I sometimes think that the one thing every human on earth needs for
true happiness is a jar of pickled lark's tongues in zir's pantry."

"Squish! I've thought the exact same thing!"

> Is that like "See a bling, pick it up, and all the day you'll have good
> luck?"
> -- Bill

*giggle* No, I dont think so... but that's an amusing idea. :)

Elynne, datapointing her squirrels

Deirdre Clyde

Apr 17, 2001, 8:05:03 PM4/17/01

CrystalPixie wrote:

> > what a wonderfully simple question (of all the questions you
> >could have at this point :).
>
> heh, no kidding :o)
>
> > "Triad" is one common term.

It's the one I used most often when I was in a
relationship of that type. I did however have
one friend who referred to us as a "threeple".
I liked that alot. :-)

Hail & Welcome,

Deirdre

Ryk

Apr 17, 2001, 11:58:59 PM4/17/01
On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:44:07 GMT, in message
<3ae0707d...@news1.on.sympatico.ca>
lou...@cyberus.ca (Louise) wrote:

>"Hi, I'm E. This is J".
>"Hi, E. Hi, J. Nice to meet you. I'm R. This is L, and this is P".

This can be harder to do than you portray.

"Hi, I'm E and this is my wife J". (while L & P were out of earshot)

"E, J, L, P,......P, L, J, E"

It seems that J formed a clear, couple-centric picture of who was
attached to whom and how. Subtlety is probably lost

Ryk

songbird

Apr 18, 2001, 2:20:57 PM4/18/01
"B.C. Holmes" <bcn...@bcholmes.org> wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 19:54:14 -0500, Elynne <ely...@eris.io.com> wrote:
>
> >Asparagus?
>
> That works. 'Tis the dawning of that age, y'know.

i now dub thee:

the sage of asparagus.

songbird *peep* (still trying to remove that earworm
and failing, but to 'splain why would take
several paragraphs and i must go for a walk _now_

CrystalPixie

Apr 19, 2001, 6:59:09 PM4/19/01
> I did however have
>one friend who referred to us as a "threeple".

hehe, that's cute- gotta tell my babies about that one...

Bright Blessings with Love and Light,

CrystalPixie

Jim Roberts

Apr 20, 2001, 7:53:23 AM4/20/01

CrystalPixie wrote:

We were OOTs, for one of three. OOTs OOTing, it has a ring in speech.
And you can get as dirty as you wanna be.

jimbat

John Williams

Apr 22, 2001, 6:46:18 PM4/22/01
Elynne <ely...@fnord.io.com>spoke thus:

> On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Bill Seligman wrote:
> > Elynne wrote:
> > > Elynne, giving you a "Seebling!" t-shirt :)
> > Uhh... I grok t-shirt, but what's a "Seebling"?
>
> It's a variation on the cry of "Brother!" "Sibling" for being
> gender-neutral; I don't know where the extra "ee" comes from.

Always makes me want to buy 50 shares of SEBL