GOP Congressman Complains About His $174,000 Salary

9 views
Skip to first unread message

Harry Hope

unread,
Mar 30, 2011, 7:59:29 AM3/30/11
to

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/03/29/rep-sean-duffy-complains-about-his-salary

Rep. Sean Duffy Complains About His $174,000 Salary: ‘I Drive A Used
Minivan’

At a townhall meeting in Amery, Wisconsin last week, the “Real
World’s” Rep. Sean Duffy (R-WI) exposed just how out of touch with
ordinary Americans he is.

According to progressive blog Rightguardia, one constituent — an
underemployed construction worker — explained that his wife, a
teacher, may have to take a cut in wages if Wisconsin’s draconian
budget bill goes through.

“I’m just wondering what your wage is and if you guys would be willing
to take a cut,” he asked Duffy.
http://rightardia.blogspot.com/2011/03/gop-rep-sean-duffy-whines-about-his.html

Displaying that delicate sense of empathy characteristic of
conservatives, Duffy whined about his $174,000 congressional salary
and his “used minivan.”

When the man pointed out his salary was “three times what I make,”
Duffy reassured him that “I have more debt than you.”

“I’m not living high off the hog,” he added

............................................................................................

Duffy’s salary is indeed about three times Wisconsin’s (and the
national) median income.

What’s more, Wisconsin’s unemployment rate is 7.4 percent statewide,
and 8.2 percent in Wausau, a city Duffy represents.

But if Duffy wants to “start getting real” and relieve some of that
financial burden, he could sell that second home in Iron River, WI he
owns.

________________________________________________

Harry

JLS

unread,
Mar 30, 2011, 9:01:02 AM3/30/11
to
On Mar 30, 7:59 am, Harry Hope <riv...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> http://thinkprogress.org/2011/03/29/rep-sean-duffy-complains-about-hi...

>
> Rep. Sean Duffy Complains About His $174,000 Salary: I Drive A Used
> Minivan
>
> At a townhall meeting in Amery, Wisconsin last week, the Real
> World s Rep. Sean Duffy (R-WI) exposed just how out of touch with
> ordinary Americans he is.
>
> According to progressive blog Rightguardia, one constituent an
> underemployed construction worker explained that his wife, a
> teacher, may have to take a cut in wages if Wisconsin s draconian
> budget bill goes through.
>
> I m just wondering what your wage is and if you guys would be willing
> to take a cut, he asked Duffy.http://rightardia.blogspot.com/2011/03/gop-rep-sean-duffy-whines-abou...

>
> Displaying that delicate sense of empathy characteristic of
> conservatives, Duffy whined about his $174,000 congressional salary
> and his used minivan.
>
> When the man pointed out his salary was three times what I make,
> Duffy reassured him that I have more debt than you.
>
> I m not living high off the hog, he added
>
> ...........................................................................­.................

>
> Duffy s salary is indeed about three times Wisconsin s (and the
> national) median income.
>
> What s more, Wisconsin s unemployment rate is 7.4 percent statewide,
> and 8.2 percent in Wausau, a city Duffy represents.
>
> But if Duffy wants to start getting real and relieve some of that
> financial burden, he could sell that second home in Iron River, WI he
> owns.

Baw haw haw. Another day, another disgusting view of the public
spectacle of Republican hypocrisy.
>
> ________________________________________________
>
> Harry

Ray Fischer

unread,
Mar 31, 2011, 12:07:15 AM3/31/11
to
Harry Hope <riv...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>http://thinkprogress.org/2011/03/29/rep-sean-duffy-complains-about-his-salary
>
>Rep. Sean Duffy Complains About His $174,000 Salary: ‘I Drive A Used
>Minivan’
>
>At a townhall meeting in Amery, Wisconsin last week, the “Real
>World’s” Rep. Sean Duffy (R-WI) exposed just how out of touch with
>ordinary Americans he is.
>
>According to progressive blog Rightguardia, one constituent — an
>underemployed construction worker — explained that his wife, a
>teacher, may have to take a cut in wages if Wisconsin’s draconian
>budget bill goes through.
>
>“I’m just wondering what your wage is and if you guys would be willing
>to take a cut,” he asked Duffy.
>http://rightardia.blogspot.com/2011/03/gop-rep-sean-duffy-whines-about-his.html
>
>Displaying that delicate sense of empathy characteristic of
>conservatives, Duffy whined about his $174,000 congressional salary
>and his “used minivan.”
>
>When the man pointed out his salary was “three times what I make,”
>Duffy reassured him that “I have more debt than you.”

Another rightard who doesn't know how to manage money. Like all other
republicans get gets lots of money but doesn't know how to stay out of
debt.

--
Ray Fischer | Mendacracy (n.) government by lying
rfis...@sonic.net | The new GOP ideal

Phlip

unread,
Mar 31, 2011, 12:12:47 AM3/31/11
to
On Mar 30, 9:07 pm, rfisc...@sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:

> Another rightard who doesn't know how to manage money.  Like all other
> republicans get gets lots of money but doesn't know how to stay out of
> debt.

An awesome anecdote about the 2008 election: Obama kept his personal
accounts perfectly balanced, and kept his campaign under budget.

And, even beyond Sarah Palin's mindless shopping sprees, McBush blew
out his personal credit cards on the campaign trail.

Now which one would you rather have running an economy, hmm?

Not Sure

unread,
Mar 31, 2011, 1:45:27 AM3/31/11
to

How much mouthwash do you go through each day? :)

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > ________________________________________________
>
> > Harry

Dänk 666

unread,
Mar 31, 2011, 2:59:52 AM3/31/11
to
> Rep. Sean Duffy Complains About His $174,000 Salary: ‘I Drive A Used
> Minivan’

He's a public employee, therefore he is entitled to his $174K salary
plus full medical benefits and pension and tenure for life. The only
difference between Rep. Duffy and a public teacher in Wisconsin is
that Congress has no union.

Why do leftards hate unions?

Ray Fischer

unread,
Mar 31, 2011, 1:49:02 PM3/31/11
to

The other difference is the Congress sets their own salary, dumbass.

Dänk 666

unread,
Mar 31, 2011, 2:22:45 PM3/31/11
to
On Mar 31, 11:49 am, rfisc...@sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:

> Dänk 666  <dank...@rocketmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Mar 30, 5:59 am, Harry Hope <riv...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >>http://thinkprogress.org/2011/03/29/rep-sean-duffy-complains-about-hi...
>
> >> Rep. Sean Duffy Complains About His $174,000 Salary: ‘I Drive A Used
> >> Minivan’
>
> >He's a public employee, therefore he is entitled to his $174K salary
> >plus full medical benefits and pension and tenure for life.  The only
> >difference between Rep. Duffy and a public teacher in Wisconsin is
> >that Congress has no union.
>
> The other difference is the Congress sets their own salary, dumbass.

Not since the 27th Amendment:

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html

"No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and
Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of
Representatives shall have intervened."
-- Amendment 27 (ratified May 7, 1992)

Phlip

unread,
Mar 31, 2011, 2:29:45 PM3/31/11
to
> Rep. Sean Duffy Complains About His $174,000 Salary: ‘I Drive A Used
> Minivan’

Jesus Christ - how will he afford all the bribes his job requires??!

(And how's your health coverage, motherfucker..?)

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Ray Fischer

unread,
Apr 1, 2011, 1:55:24 AM4/1/11
to

Dank, in addition to being crazy and delusional, is also illiterate.
He doesn't even understand that congress does set their own salary and
that the only restriction the Constitution imposes is that it not take
effect until after the next election.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages