"Derisive, Divisive And Demoralizing Misogyny": Public University President Cancels Student Drag Show, Issues Fiery Rebuke Of Drag

Ubiquitous

Mar 29, 2023, 9:16:19 AM3/29/23
“West Texas A&M University will not host a drag show on campus,” Wendler
stated in the post, entitled, “A Harmless Drag Show? No Such Thing.” The
event was scheduled for March 31 and intended to raise money for The Trevor
Project, and LGBTQ advocacy group which claims to work to prevent suicide
among LGBTQ youth. Wendler said the cause was noble, and that it is a tragedy
for any person to consider self-harm.

Wendler went on, saying that each and every person has human dignity, and
that idea is foundational to American Life; and that drag shows violate that
dignity. “Does a drag show preserve a single thread of human dignity? I think
not,” he wrote. “As a performance exaggerating aspects of womanhood
(sexuality, femininity, gender), drag shows stereotype women in cartoon-like
extremes for the amusement of others and discriminate against womanhood. Any
event which diminishes an individual or group through such representation is
wrong.”

“WT endeavors to treat all people equally,” the university president
continued. “Drag shows are derisive, divisive and demoralizing misogyny, no
matter the stated intent. Such conduct runs counter to the purpose of WT. A
person or group should not attempt to elevate itself or a cause by mocking
another person or group. As a university president, I would not support
‘blackface’ performances on our campus, even if told the performance is a
form of free speech or intended as humor. It is wrong. I do not support any
show, performance or artistic expression which denigrates others—in this
case, women—for any reason.”

Wendler commented that the West Texas A&M community should live by the Golden
Rule, which he also called the law of reciprocity; he quoted examples of this
rule from the Gospel of Matthew, a Buddhist text, and the Book of Tobit in
the Hebrew Bible. He also compared it to Newton’s Third Law of Motion, “each
action has an equal and opposite reaction.”

“Mocking or objectifying in any way members of any group based on appearance,
bias or predisposition is unacceptable,” Wendler continued, noting that
equality between the sexes took centuries of work. He also pointed out that
the stated purpose of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and common
sense reject acts of prejudice. “No amount of fancy rhetorical footwork or
legal wordsmithing eludes the fact that drag shows denigrate and demean
women—noble goals notwithstanding.”

“A harmless drag show? Not possible,” he concluded. “I will not appear to
condone the diminishment of any group at the expense of impertinent gestures
toward another group for any reason, even when the law of the land appears to
require it.” Wendler again said that supporting The Trevor Project was a good
idea; instead of attending the drag show, Wendler suggested that students
donate to the organization instead.

--
Let's go Brandon!