Focus On Nashville Shooter's Transgender Identity A "Distraction", Says CNN Analyst

Ubiquitous

Mar 29, 2023, 9:41:05 AM3/29/23
A CNN analyst called focusing on the Nashville school shooter’s transgender
identity a “distraction in our coverage” and said more must be learned about
her motive in order to put Monday’s horrific massacre in the context of
similar events.

Juliette Kayyem, the network’s national security analyst, spoke a day after
the 28-year-old woman who identified as male gunned down three nine-year-old
children and three adults at a Christian elementary school. The killer, who
The Daily Wire is not naming as part of company policy, was identified as
transgender by police hours after she was killed by police. She also used
male pronouns and sometimes went by a male name.

“You know, look, pronouns,” Kayyem said. “Pronouns do not kill children,
right? People with guns kill children, and it’s going to be a distraction in
our coverage and keep us from what we now know, which is each of these cases
has a similarity more than any difference.”

Kayyem — who once ran for governor of Massachusetts and served as assistant
secretary for intergovernmental affairs in the Obama administration’s
Department of Homeland Security, told host Don Lemon that the case is
unusual.

“This is a unique case, and we have to be sensitive about it to the extent
that [the shooter] identified as a woman. We do not see mass shooters who are
female, especially in particular, school shooting murderers,” Kayyem said.

While it is rare for a mass shooter to be a biological woman, there have been
multiple transgender or so-called “non-binary” killers in recent years,
including the suspect in the shooting at Colorado Springs’ Club Q, one of the
suspects in the Stem School Highlands Ranch in Colorado, and the suspect in
the 2018 mass shooting outside a Rite Aid distribution center in Aberdeen,
Maryland.

But Kayyem said there are many other factors that remain unknown about
Monday’s shooting, and that the killer’s transgender status may prove
immaterial.

“Each of these school shootings has motive and means,” she said. “Motive goes
to the particular person. What’s their mental health situation? What happened
at the school? Why did they choose that target? … What was their community
scene. And then the means, and then that’s when you get the connectivity,
right? That’s when you start to see these are all starting to look the same,
right?”

CNN's @juliettekayyem encourages news outlets to ignore killer's
transgenderism: "Pronouns do not kill children, right? People with
guns, kill children, & it’s going to be a distraction in our coverage
& keep us from what we now know" pic.twitter.com/vVNeWW5WSW

— Tom Elliott (@tomselliott) March 28, 2023

A former classmate of the shooter who claimed to know the shooter before the
shooter “transitioned” said, “I haven’t seen [the shooter] since graduation
as I moved, and we didn’t keep in touch. … I mainly knew her as ‘she’ before
the transition. When she transitioned, no one was surprised.”

--
Let's go Brandon!