George W. Bush: An American Tragedy (Or, "One of the Worst" Doesn't Quite Cover It)

rubard...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2020, 4:28:06 PM2/2/20
The United States, the Americans.

George Walker Bush was an excrescence on the American Republic, a horror "fated" to be visited upon a liberal and liberalizing public At Some Point whether they wanted it or not. Truly spoken, he falls in the category of "'One of the Worst' doesn't quite cover it", i.e. there is a word we don't use "in first intention" that describes his working-over of the United States.

(That's right, when you ain't no alien and you can't be seditious, well...)

A man of more than limited intelligence (that is to say, a public with access to unfaked psychiatry and neurology would have every reason not to "install" him in a position of power based on his limited mental ability alone), Bush had "secretly" had a career in infamy before he was foisted on the country at large in 2000. The nation's biggest crisis and tragedy in decades "somehow" followed soon after, all to his credit.

Hitlerian? Nobody American since the Third Reich fits the personality profile better, and we were all made to toe the line of vapid slogans in pseudo-English as actual morality and "public decency" went down the toilet. Surrounded by openly murderous morons like Tom Ridge and Ari Fleischer, Bush made everybody work a "double" shift at looking like his "compassion" involved anything more than nervous blood tests.

The policy achievements were none, the damage to the social fabric real, the legacy entirely vapid (Trump presumably wakes up every day saying "I am not W." and can feel no better about anything on Earth). The Bush "dynasty" is quite an extinct line: there are no worried faces to make, no "beers" to drink. There is little about American life that can change, and I say this as a voice "on the left": there is no American politics of the future that can crib from his dictatorial whims.

If Jesus loves him, I don't know Jesus. (I don't "know Jesus", but if the Nazarene is a presence in *your* life I suppose you already had this thought.)

Jeffrey Rubard

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 23, 2021, 5:40:14 PM12/23/21
2021 Update: Still not a Republican, still not a fan.

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 26, 2021, 11:12:22 AM12/26/21
I've gotten up to saying this quite a bit recently.
Is there a corresponding saying? Yes.
"There are no good Democrats", in the sense that they are without exception "politically incompetent"
as dedicated liberals, or genially grim in "pragmatically" practically sympathizing with aspects of the
world you find distasteful. "Doing it wrong" is doing it right.

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 27, 2021, 1:52:30 AM12/27/21
Still, a magical thing about "Team Bush" (as opposed to Trumpers) is that they would always make sure to "write you in" as a secret fan of W. at some inopportune moment -- not, say, when you grudgingly and somewhat disobligingly said something nice about the man. This is not technically so legit, since you can sure "die with your blue Keds on", y'know?

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 28, 2021, 2:05:12 AM12/28/21
"Existential commitment", they can respect that.
"American Rationalists", by contrast, cannot respect some of the choices of the postmodern right.
"So he got AIDS/HIV? The fucker got AIDS/HIV? The 'compassionate conservative' who wasted my 2000s with gay-baiting from his followers got HIV? Well, it's not the kind of thing that goes away with a snap of the fingers, dude. Or didn't he? Do you understand how reliable medical tests work?"

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 28, 2021, 4:39:35 PM12/28/21
"Pierre Menard, Receptive Barebacker of the Quijote". So traditional a "Bush dynasty" riff -- they'd hoist you with *their* petard...
But maybe I exaggerate the significance of this. (It's just him plus his victims, right?)

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 30, 2021, 8:25:30 PM12/30/21
At any rate: fans of the Bush dynasty, condoms are a must. Seriously. I don't *care* what that charismatic Texas or Florida politician tells you, that thing is going *on*.

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 31, 2021, 11:27:04 AM12/31/21
It's true they're more effective at preventing STDs *generally* than with a partner known to have an illness --
so, to be extra safe, you should probably pick a partner other than, say, George W. Bush. However,
in a pinch be sure to "stick to the script" and use them.

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 2, 2022, 2:30:44 AMJan 2
2021 Close-Out Sale, Final: No, I didn't give it to him. I don't even *have* HIV!

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 3, 2022, 12:00:44 PMJan 3
I hate the Republican Party and never vote Republican, forsooth. Could it *somehow*
not be my problem?

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 4, 2022, 2:53:48 AMJan 4
Didn't vote for him either time, don't much admire his family, wish his influence would cease etc.

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 4, 2022, 2:47:43 PMJan 4
"Beto O'Rourke" is kind of the exact opposite name to "Bernardo O'Higgins", innit?

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 9, 2022, 11:16:28 PMJan 9
The "Spanglish" illustration of a possible contrast:
Bernardo O'Higgins (to anyone): "You're a puto"
Beto O'Rourke (in dudgeon): "I'm a puto? I'm a puto?"

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 10, 2022, 7:12:40 AMJan 10
The Official Explanation:
"Beto" is, as a type, a man so metrosexual he does, in fact, turn out to be a male prostitute. (He is not of the greatest political virtue.)
An O'Rourke (Mickey Rourke's name is secretly really spelled this way, if I remember correctly) as a type is a "beast", who works his purposes
in contrast to the received order of things.
So Beto O'Rourke's name means "whore-beast".
(You're welcome.)

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 10, 2022, 9:23:23 PMJan 10
(No, he didn't get it from W. It *would* be something more like IDU, obvs.)

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 11, 2022, 7:36:36 PMJan 11
Still not a Republican, still not a fan. (Don't you know a lot of people like this?)

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 15, 2022, 10:25:20 PMJan 15
Really, don't "pencil me in as a fan" of the Bush family, even in memory.

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 17, 2022, 7:12:20 PMJan 17
...and honestly, sometimes your family doesn't win you fans, either.
(A "dynasty" like we didn't think we had in America?)

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 25, 2022, 11:16:57 PMJan 25
2022 Update, Continuing: Still not a Republican, still not a fan. (This matters.)