The Facts About H.R. 1: The "For the People Act of 2021"

Ubiquitous

Mar 3, 2021, 1:10:55 PM3/3/21
https://www.heritage.org/election-integrity/report/the-facts-about-hr-
1-the-the-people-act-2021

H.R. 1 would federalize and micromanage the election process
administered by the states, imposing unnecessary, unwise, and
unconstitutional mandates on the states and reversing the
decentralization of the American election process—which is essential to
the protection of our liberty and freedom. It would (among other
things) implement nationwide the worst changes in election rules that
occurred during the 2020 election; go even further in eroding and
eliminating basic security protocols that states have in place; and
interfere with the ability of states and their citizens to determine
the qualifications and eligibility of voters, ensure the accuracy of
voter registration rolls, secure the fairness and integrity of
elections, and participate and speak freely in the political process.

KEY TAKEAWAYS

1) H.R. 1 would federalize and micromanage the election process,
imposing unnecessary, unwise, and unconstitutional mandates on the
states.

2) It would reverse the decentralization of the American election
process—an essential protection of our liberty and freedom.

3) It would implement nationwide the worst changes in election rules
that occurred in 2020 and further damage or eliminate basic security
protocols.

The Issue
H.R. 1 would federalize and micromanage the election process
administered by the states, imposing unnecessary, unwise, and
unconstitutional mandates on the states and reversing the
decentralization of the American election process—which is essential to
the protection of our liberty and freedom. It would implement
nationwide the worst changes in election rules that occurred during the
2020 election and go even further in eroding and eliminating basic
security protocols that states have in place. The bill would interfere
with the ability of states and their citizens to determine the
qualifications and eligibility of voters, to ensure the accuracy of
voter registration rolls, to secure the fairness and integrity of
elections, to participate and speak freely in the political process,
and to determine the district boundary lines for electing their
representatives.

What H.R. 1 Would Do
Seize the authority of states to regulate voter registration and the
voting process by forcing states to implement early voting, automatic
voter registration, same-day registration, online voter registration,
and no-fault absentee balloting.

Make it easier to commit fraud and promote chaos at the polls through
same-day registration, as election officials would have no time to
verify the accuracy of voter registration information and the
eligibility of an individual to vote and could not anticipate the
number of ballots and precinct workers that would be needed at specific
polling locations.

Hurt voter turnout through 15 days of mandated early voting by
diffusing the intensity of get-out-the-vote efforts; it would raise the
cost of campaigns. Voters who vote early don’t have the same
information as those who vote on Election Day, missing late-breaking
developments that could affect their choices.

Degrade the accuracy of registration lists by requiring states to
automatically register all individuals (as opposed to “citizens”) from
state and federal databases, such as state Departments of Motor
Vehicles, corrections and welfare offices, and federal agencies such as
the Social Security Administration, the Department of Labor, the
Federal Bureau of Prisons, and the Center for Medicare and Medicaid
Services of the Department of Health and Human Services. This would
register large numbers of ineligible voters, including aliens, and
cause multiple or duplicate registrations of the same individuals and
put federal agencies in charge of determining a person’s domicile for
voting purposes (as well as that individual’s taxing state).

Constitute a recipe for massive voter registration fraud by hackers and
cyber criminals through online voter registration that is not tied to
an existing state record, such as a driver’s license. It would make it
a criminal offense for a state official to reject a voter registration
application even when it is rejected “under color of law” because the
official believes the individual is ineligible to vote. It would also
require states to allow 16-year-olds and 17-year-olds to register; when
combined with a ban on voter ID and restrictions on the ability to
challenge the eligibility of a voter, this would effectively ensure
that underage individuals could vote with impunity.

Require states to count ballots cast by voters outside of their
assigned precincts, overriding the precinct system used by almost all
states that allows election officials to monitor votes, staff polling
places, provide enough ballots, and prevent election fraud.

Mandate no-fault absentee ballots, which are the tool of choice for
vote thieves. It would ban witness signature or notarization
requirements for absentee ballots; force states to accept absentee
ballots received up to 10 days after Election Day as long as they are
postmarked by Election Day; and require states to allow vote
trafficking (vote harvesting) so that any third parties—including
campaign staffers and political consultants—can pick up and deliver
absentee ballots.

Prevent election officials from checking the eligibility and
qualifications of voters and removing ineligible voters. This includes
restrictions on using the U.S. Postal Service’s national change-of-
address system to verify the address of registered voters;
participating in state programs that compare voter registration lists
to detect individuals registered in multiple states; or ever removing
registrants due to a failure to vote no matter how much time has
elapsed. It also would substantially limit the public release of voter
registration information, making it almost impossible for nonpartisan
organizations to verify the accuracy of registration rolls, and
prohibit states from using undeliverable election mail as a basis for
challenging a registrant’s eligibility.

Ban state voter ID laws by forcing states to allow individuals to vote
without an ID and merely signing a statement in which they claim they
are who they say they are.

Violate the First Amendment with respect to a vast range of legal
activity. Voter intimidation or coercion that prevents someone from
registering or voting is already a federal crime under the Voting
Rights Act and the National Voter Registration Act. But H.R. 1 would
add a provision criminalizing “hindering, interfering, or preventing”
anyone from registering or voting, which is so vague and so broad that
it could prevent providing any information to election officials about
the ineligibility of an individual, such as an applicant not being a
U.S. citizen.

Expand regulation and government censorship of campaigns and political
activity and speech, including online and policy-related speech. H.R. 1
would impose onerous legal and administrative compliance burdens and
costs on candidates, citizens, civic groups, unions, corporations, and
nonprofit organizations. Many of these provisions violate the First
Amendment, protect incumbents, and reduce the accountability of
politicians to the public; its onerous disclosure requirements for
nonprofit organizations would subject their members and donors to
intimidation and harassment—the modern equivalent of the type of
disclosure requirements the U.S. Supreme Court in NAACP v. Alabama
(1958) held violated associational rights protected by the Fourteenth
Amendment.

Reduce the number of Federal Election Commission members from six to
five, allowing the political party with three commission seats to
control the commission and engage in partisan enforcement activities.

Prohibit state election officials from participating in federal
elections and impose numerous other “ethics” rules that are
unconstitutional or unfairly restrict political activity, eliminating
the ability of the residents of specific states to make their own
decisions about what rules should govern their state government
officials.

Require states to restore the ability of felons to vote the moment they
are out of prison regardless of uncompleted parole, probation, or
restitution requirements. Section 2 of the Fourteenth Amendment gives
states the constitutional authority to decide when felons who committed
crimes against their fellow citizens may vote again. Congress cannot
override a constitutional amendment with a statute.

Transfer the right to draw congressional districts from state
legislatures to “independent” commissions whose members are
unaccountable to voters. H.R. 1 would make it a violation of federal
law to engage in “partisan” redistricting and mandate the inclusion of
alien population, both legal and illegal, in all redistricting. This is
an anti-democratic, unconstitutional measure that would take away the
ability of the citizens of a state to make their own decisions about
redistricting.

Authorize the Internal Revenue Service to engage in partisan activity.
H.R. 1 would permit the IRS to investigate and consider the political
and policy positions of nonprofit organizations before granting tax-
exempt status, thus enabling IRS officials to target organizations
engaging in First Amendment activity with disfavored views.

Limit access to federal courts for anyone challenging H.R. 1. The bill
would prohibit the filing of any lawsuits challenging the
constitutionality of H.R. 1 anywhere except in the District Court for
the District of Columbia and would allow the court to order all
plaintiffs and intervenors, regardless of their number (such as all 50
states), “to file joint papers or to be represented by a single
attorney at oral argument,” severely limiting the legal representation
and due process rights of challengers.

Establish a “Commission to Protect Democratic Institutions” that would
threaten the independence of the judiciary. H.R. 1 defines “democratic
institutions” as those that are “essential to ensuring an independent
judiciary, free and fair elections and the rule of law.” The commission
would be given the authority to compel judges to testify and justify
their legal decisions, threatening their independent judgment and
subjecting them to political pressure and harassment.

--
Trump won.

Siri Cruise

Mar 3, 2021, 2:15:44 PM3/3/21
In article <BtCdnVTxq660TKL9...@giganews.com>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> H.R. 1

The House puts bills online. People can read the law itself and
make their own opinions instead of being told what their opinions
should be.

'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\

Klaus Schadenfreude

Mar 3, 2021, 3:25:12 PM3/3/21
Siri Cruise wrote

> In article <BtCdnVTxq660TKL9...@giganews.com>,
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> H.R. 1
>
> The House puts bills online. People can read the law itself and
> make their own opinions instead of being told what their opinions
> should be.

It H. R. 1 the one that brings back firing squads to execute Red State
Americans?

Who wouldn't support that!

NoBody

Mar 5, 2021, 6:59:17 AM3/5/21
On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 11:15:42 -0800, Siri Cruise <chine...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>In article <BtCdnVTxq660TKL9...@giganews.com>,
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> H.R. 1
>
>The House puts bills online. People can read the law itself and
>make their own opinions instead of being told what their opinions
>should be.

You have NEVER objected like this before. Could it be that you're
afraid people might actually learn something that the media
"neglected" to tell them?

NoBody

Mar 6, 2021, 8:55:10 AM3/6/21
<crickets.wav>

Ubiquitous

Mar 9, 2021, 8:23:43 AM3/9/21
chine...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>>https://www.heritage.org/election-integrity/report/the-facts-about-hr-1-the-the-people-act-2021
>The House puts bills online. People can read the law itself and
>make their own opinions instead of being told what their opinions
>should be.

[Original article restored]
In other words, you are unable to come up with a counter-argument.

--
Trump won.

Ubiquitous

Siri Cruise

Mar 16, 2021, 9:44:11 AM3/16/21
In article <X7idnUX3ucRfMs39...@giganews.com>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> administered by the states, imposing unnecessary, unwise, and
> unconstitutional mandates on the states and reversing the

Why are republican majority legislatures currently legislating to
make voting more difficult?

Klaus Schadenfreude

Apr 15, 2021, 6:59:15 PM4/15/21
Siri Cruise wrote

> In article <BtCdnVTxq660TKL9...@giganews.com>,
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> H.R. 1
>
> The House puts bills online. People can read the law itself and
> make their own opinions instead of being told what their opinions
> should be.

Klaus Schadenfreude

May 16, 2021, 9:01:17 AM5/16/21
Siri Cruise wrote

> In article <BtCdnVTxq660TKL9...@giganews.com>,
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> H.R. 1
>
> The House puts bills online. People can read the law itself and
> make their own opinions instead of being told what their opinions
> should be.

Klaus Schadenfreude

May 21, 2021, 7:42:17 PM5/21/21
Siri Cruise wrote

> In article <BtCdnVTxq660TKL9...@giganews.com>,
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> H.R. 1
>
> The House puts bills online. People can read the law itself and
> make their own opinions instead of being told what their opinions
> should be.

Klaus Schadenfreude

May 22, 2021, 8:44:10 AM5/22/21
Siri Cruise wrote