Is the evil empire US?

0 views
Skip to first unread message

jamu...@vela.acs.oakland.edu

unread,
Jun 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/1/97
to

As one reads all the evidence on the crimes of the CIA, NSA, and other
US organizations, one begins to wonder whether the US is the true evil
empire. In addition to the international crimes of assassinations,
sabotage (including apparently also biological weapons use against
countries like Cuba!), government coups to install US puppets who then
proceed to exterminate millions of opponents, and the merciless murder of
millions of foreign civilians through air bombings (etc.), US
agencies have also committed atrocious crimes against the US people
(the documentation in books such as Walter Bowart's OPERATION MIND CONTROL,
Alex Constantinides's PSYCHIC DICTATORSHIP IN THE USA, and Rodney Stich's
DEFRAUDING AMERICA is fairly convincing, with the JFK murder being only one
incident of this tragedy).
The crimes committed by the KGB and Communist secret police seem to pale in
comparison (while it is true that millions died in the Soviet Union in the
1930s under Stalin, the cause was a civil war that erupted when rich
landowners and their allies resisted government collectivization-- comparable
to the civil war in the US in the 1860s when slaveowners resisted Lincoln).
But because of a heavy control of the mainstream press (as described
in Hermann and Chomsky's MANUFACTURING CONSENT), few Americans are even
aware of US crimes. It was especially interesting to read a mainstream
article recently about how a few recent problems at FBI labs had blemished
what was referred to as the FBI's "previously untarnished" record! What a
joke! Edgar Hoover (and his Mob pals) is probably laughing in his grave over
that one. Because the article allowed a few critical remarks about the FBI, it
attempted to give the appearance of a "free and unbiased" press, and such
journalistic tactics are apparently successful in convincing the vast
majority of Americans that the US is a benevolent free country* and that
the Soviet Union was the evil empire**. But is the truth possibly closer
to the reverse?
Any crimes committed by the US and US intelligence services have
long been explained away as necessary to fight Communism (even though US crimes
began long before the existence of Communism; the US was founded on
slavery and the stealing of land from the Indians, and killing anyone who
resisted this "democracy"). The Communist secret police said the same thing to
try to justify their crimes (that is, the sabotage, assassinations,
coups, etc. committed by Western Powers were the reason the Communist secret
police existed). Given several military invasions of the Soviet Union by
capitalist nations since 1917, and given all the criminal activities of the
CIA and similar organizations, the Communist secret police story seems more
justifiable. Can anyone cite a Communist invasion of the US, or even some
Soviet sabotage in the US or something that can somehow justify some of the
outrageous actions of the CIA, etc., which were unrelated to intelligence
gathering?

Sincerely,
Dr. Austin Murphy (Professor of Finance, Oakland University)

*Although there are many Americans aware of the distorted view of the world
provided by the mainstream press, evidence from elections indicates that
the majority of Americans generally believe in their government. Otherwise,
why don't they vote out the Democrats and Republicans, and vote for one
of the Reform parties, such as the Greens, the Workers Party, etc.?

**One other aspect of the propaganda war waged by the mainstream US press
against our minds is the portrayal of capitalism as the system
of prosperity and economic growth. The propaganda here is especially
effective in developed countries like the US, because it is easy to show
that the US is richer than the Communist countries ever were. However,
the US is richer only because the Communist countries (and former Communist
countries) started out so much poorer at the time of their revolution.
For instance, the Soviet Union was 1/12 as rich as the US was in 1917 at
the time of the Communist revolution, while it grew faster than the US
over the next 70 years to become 1/3 as rich as the US in 1989 (despite
the fact that it suffered a very destructive Nazi invasion during
that time which killed over 20 million of its people). Now after almost a
decade of transition back to capitalism, Russia's per capita income is now
back to being closer to 1/12 that of US per capita income.


John Eddy

unread,
Jun 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/3/97
to

Thus Spoke jamu...@vela.acs.oakland.edu:

> As one reads all the evidence on the crimes of the CIA, NSA, and other
>US organizations, one begins to wonder whether the US is the true evil
>empire. In addition to the international crimes of assassinations,
>sabotage (including apparently also biological weapons use against
>countries like Cuba!), government coups to install US puppets who then
>proceed to exterminate millions of opponents, and the merciless murder of
>millions of foreign civilians through air bombings (etc.), US
>agencies have also committed atrocious crimes against the US people
> (the documentation in books such as Walter Bowart's OPERATION MIND CONTROL,
>Alex Constantinides's PSYCHIC DICTATORSHIP IN THE USA, and Rodney Stich's
>DEFRAUDING AMERICA is fairly convincing, with the JFK murder being only one
>incident of this tragedy).

Okay, I started reading this wondering (without much hope, of course)
if this might be a reasoned discourse on the subject of US culpability
in some of the nastiness now inflicted upon the world. As much of a
believer as I am in the inherently positive influence America can have
on the world I am not foolish enough to believe that the USA has NEVER
engaged in any activity that might be considered unsupportable or even
heinous.

Unfortunately, the author here immediately descends in to kook-dom.
Operation Mind Control my foot! Might I inquire, if the US government
has its fingers in to all the press and publishing, etc, how it is
that these "thought provoking" tomes came to be written and published?
If the government has so much at stake in keeping things under wraps
wouldn’t one expect that these authors would have landed in nameless
graves on some military base? I guarantee you that had these books
been written in and about the old Soviet Union they never would have
seen the light of day. The author of the quoted post is just another
in a long line of Hate-America-First'ers, the Evil Government Killed
Angelic JFK, etc.

REALITY CHECK #1 DR. MURPHY:
JFK was killed by a lone kook with a mail-order rifle. There is not
a shred of real, supportable, demonstrable evidence to the contrary.
(Yes, I do expect you to say that my position simply proves that the
Govenment Mind Control is working as planned)

REALITY CHECK #2 DR. MURPHY:
The world is a complex, inherently unfair place where it often happens
that good people do heinous things for what they consider to be good
reasons. To stand here in this forum and declare that what you allege
the US has done in the past forgives the brutal repression inflicted
upon peoples by Communist regimes the world over indicates that you
are engaging in deliberate self-delusion. Seek therapy.

>The crimes committed by the KGB and Communist secret police seem to pale in
>comparison (while it is true that millions died in the Soviet Union in the
>1930s under Stalin, the cause was a civil war that erupted when rich
>landowners and their allies resisted government collectivization-- comparable
>to the civil war in the US in the 1860s when slaveowners resisted Lincoln).

I reject this comparison in no uncertain terms. Millions died under
Stalin because the Soviet government made a deliberate choice to kill
them through various means (seems to me most died of starvation, no?).
The US Civil War was fought primarily to settle a heated dispute over
the meaning and scope of the U. S. Constitution and the extent of
Federal power. Freeing the slaves, as desirable as that was, was
simply an add-on to the war.

> But because of a heavy control of the mainstream press (as described
>in Hermann and Chomsky's MANUFACTURING CONSENT), few Americans are even
>aware of US crimes.

Again, with such control in the hands of the government, how was this
book ever written or published?

> It was especially interesting to read a mainstream
>article recently about how a few recent problems at FBI labs had blemished
>what was referred to as the FBI's "previously untarnished" record! What a
>joke! Edgar Hoover (and his Mob pals) is probably laughing in his grave over
>that one. Because the article allowed a few critical remarks about the FBI, it
>attempted to give the appearance of a "free and unbiased" press, and such
>journalistic tactics are apparently successful in convincing the vast
>majority of Americans that the US is a benevolent free country* and that
>the Soviet Union was the evil empire**. But is the truth possibly closer
>to the reverse?

J. Edgar aside (since he's been dead quite some time) I find this
entire paragraph to be a laughable mass of contradiction. The
mainstream press in the USA is absolutely NOT un-biased. They are
mostly leftists who for quite a long time have been cheerleaders for
the views you espouse here. The US government cannot blow its nose
without the press commenting upon it. That's what makes all this
conspiracy drivel so ridiculous. What journalist would not, in an
instant, blow the lid on something like this?

> Any crimes committed by the US and US intelligence services have
>long been explained away as necessary to fight Communism (even though US crimes
>began long before the existence of Communism; the US was founded on
>slavery and the stealing of land from the Indians, and killing anyone who
>resisted this "democracy").

Typical leftist drek, judging 17th, 18th and 19th century acts through
the lens of late 20th century sensibilities. Yes, it was terrible.
No, it should not be allowed to happen again- that's why History is
studied. As for the fight against Communism, it was absolutely
necessary as Soviet Communists had repeatedly, stridently vowed to
"bury" the west and reign over a proletariat revolution that would
dominate the world. Any reasonable person could justify taking action
to defend oneself against such ideology. Were questionable tactics
employed? Absolutely. Does that forgive the Communists' actions
against their own peoples? Absolutely not.

>The Communist secret police said the same thing to
>try to justify their crimes (that is, the sabotage, assassinations,
>coups, etc. committed by Western Powers were the reason the Communist secret
>police existed).

Incorrect. They existed to exercise deep levels of control over the
thoughts, speech and actions of the citizens of Communist nations.
The were used to crush dissent and maintain the status-quo.

> Given several military invasions of the Soviet Union by
>capitalist nations since 1917, and given all the criminal activities of the
>CIA and similar organizations, the Communist secret police story seems more
>justifiable. Can anyone cite a Communist invasion of the US, or even some
>Soviet sabotage in the US or something that can somehow justify some of the
>outrageous actions of the CIA, etc., which were unrelated to intelligence
>gathering?

I suppose the crushing of reformation in Hungary and Czechoslovakia
was simply "intelligence gathering"? How about all those people shot
trying to flee from East Berlin to West Berlin? Spies all, I suppose
you would say?

>
>Sincerely,
>Dr. Austin Murphy (Professor of Finance, Oakland University)
>
>*Although there are many Americans aware of the distorted view of the world
>provided by the mainstream press, evidence from elections indicates that
>the majority of Americans generally believe in their government. Otherwise,
>why don't they vote out the Democrats and Republicans, and vote for one
>of the Reform parties, such as the Greens, the Workers Party, etc.?

The Greens were a mouthpiece for the Soviets. I won't even comment on
the Worker's Party. Can't you understand that the American people
have rejected socialism/communism? Is there a reason why you didn't
add in the Libertarians? Freedom terrifies you, would be my
suspicion.

>
>**One other aspect of the propaganda war waged by the mainstream US press
>against our minds is the portrayal of capitalism as the system
>of prosperity and economic growth. The propaganda here is especially
>effective in developed countries like the US, because it is easy to show
>that the US is richer than the Communist countries ever were. However,
>the US is richer only because the Communist countries (and former Communist
>countries) started out so much poorer at the time of their revolution.
>For instance, the Soviet Union was 1/12 as rich as the US was in 1917 at
>the time of the Communist revolution, while it grew faster than the US
>over the next 70 years to become 1/3 as rich as the US in 1989 (despite
>the fact that it suffered a very destructive Nazi invasion during
>that time which killed over 20 million of its people). Now after almost a
>decade of transition back to capitalism, Russia's per capita income is now
>back to being closer to 1/12 that of US per capita income.

The Soviet Union made most of its gains in making the conversion form
an agrarian peasant society to an industrialized economy. The
resultant collapse is a result of the failure of centralized control
which allowed for no innovation, no competition and no flexibility.
Add to that the policy of placing military might above all other needs
and it is easy to see that seventy years of blatant mismanagement is
not about to be turned around in a single decade. Sensible people
know this.


John Eddy
--

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/7438
Remove the NOSPAM. from my address to reply by E-mail

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages