Capitalism's demography-conundrum

*Ördög*

Feb 26, 2022, 7:57:31 PM2/26/22
*Ask Prof Wolff: Population Growth & Social Security*
/Democracy At Work/
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2tGq6k5I7I&ab_channel=DemocracyAtWork>

"A Patron of Economic Update asks: "I have heard various politicians,
from both left and right, argue that to “look after” an aging population
there is a requirement for population growth. The premise of the argument
being that there needs to be sufficient numbers of working age people to
fund those that have retired. My assumption is that it's not possible to
have continual and perpetual population growth, simply because there must
come a time when our planet cannot sustain the numbers. What is your view
on the argument that there needs to be population growth to fund an aging
population, and do you consider my assumption to be reasonable?"

This is Professor Richard Wolff's video response."
~~

As per usual the never ending cycles of infinite growth that underpins
our now fully unleashed unbridled neo-liberal capitalist system
throughout the Anglophone sphere of influence, all that on a finite
planet, leads us to an ultimately inevitable disaster instead of
resolving those real problems our society is facing.
The idea of adding more people to solve the problem of the rapidly
increasing old age population just makes things even worse.

--
Ördög
*LIBERTÉ*