Why do cops hate people of color???

CShank9487

Jun 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/29/98

Is it becaues they are racist? Why do agents of the DEA, and certain State
police selectivly stop people of color while they travel on the highways of the
US. DOJ statistics show that a person of color is stopped 5 times more
frequently on the highways and is 3 times more likely to have their money
siezed by cops than white people, why????

Walt Horning

Jun 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/30/98

cshan...@aol.com (CShank9487) wrote:

Well the truth is, a larger percentage of blacks are more often
dealing in drugs. So they figure there is a better chance of catching
dealers/sellers that way. But I suspect that if the driver has real
long hair and white, they also get stopped more often.

As for it being racists, that's one for the courts to settle. I
suspect a large number of the cops stopping blacks on the highway are
also black too.

As for seizing money, unless drugs or other illegal sustances are
found, money is not often seized.

However, if you take some states, say like Lousianna, the local cops
are stopping people left and right. If you just have a traffic
violation, they can strip your car clean. Its wholly unconstitutional,
but their state laws permits it. And it will probably take a
class-action, federal lawsuit to sue the fuck out of the assholes in
that state to get them straightened out. And national news
organizations have documented how New Orleans is a city with more than
half the force on the take.

But then with asshole leaders like Clinton, who has been accused of
racketeering as governor of Arkasas, selling "favors" to the scum that
sell drugs and poison and kill people (kind of sounds like the tabacco
industry too), well I am not suprised. But more and more Americans are
becoming total fucking assholes and voting in total fucking assholes.

If you vote for fuckers, don't be suprised if you get fucked in the
end.

One thing in defense of cops. There are hard working cops who try to
bring criminals to justice. Then there are fucked up politicians who
take bribes, so the top criminals go free.

KEN 63728

Jul 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/7/98
I agree with most of your comments.
I used to have long hair (I'm white), and I got pulled over all the time, not
to mention searched, illegally detained, etc. etc..
Now that I have short hair, I haven't been pulled over in almost ten years.
(And I make twice as much money. Trust me, cut your hair!)
The truth of the matter is that ethnic citizens commit more of the crimes those
cops are trying to prevent, (drugs, theft, parole violations, etc.) hence the
increased targeting by cops. Just check out the demographics.
I'm sure that if cops were targeting white collar crime (tax evasion,
embezzlement, etc.), I'd get pulled over and checked out a lot more than I am
now.

Jim

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98

My turn to ask a question: why is it that the people who scream
loudest for professional police protection won't agree to pay professional
wages?
It's not odd that we end up with some unworthy cops. What's
amazing is that we get so many good ones at the salaries we offer.
Same goes for teachers and nurses.

Jim

John Gibbs

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
Actually, it is a statistical fact that police pull over people of color
more than whites. Here in Michigan, one could go to virtually any of the
Detroit suburban police departments and ask for their yearly reports. In
the community of Farmington Hills, for example, which is 3% white, 27% of
the pull-overs were of afro-americans, based on the departments own data.
And, these pull-overs are not justified because someone's statistic says
that minorities commit more crimes. I am an ivy league college student, but
based on your logic, it would be OK for a cop to assume that I am a drug
dealer, right? After all, I am a minority, right?
Secondly, provide evidence that people of color commit "more of those crimes
cops are trying to commit". What is your source? The controlled media? You
think the 6 o'clock news gives you the full scoop? Where did you learn that
minorities commit more of these crimes? In reality, whites commit more drug
crimes than blacks. Whites commit more theft crimes than blacks. The vast
majority of those on welfare are whites. When I was in high school, our
neighboring school, which was 100% white, had a much larger drug problem
(marijuana) than ours, which was 80% white. 67% of teenage drug use occurs
in the suburbs.

The media tries to paint a picture for you, that most criminals and welfare
recipients are minorities, when in fact this is not the case.

KEN 63728 wrote in message
<199807070859...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

John Gibbs

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98

Jim wrote in message <01bdaaba$79b6bd20$28cc5ad1@default>...

I do agree that teachers, nurses, and maybe cops are underpaid, but let's
not miss the point.

It should be very odd that there are unworthy cops. Money should not be a
factor in a police officer performing his duty; he should do his job well
regardless. These men are swore to protect all citizens, so it is all the
more disturbing when one steps across the line. If my friend and I were to
commit a crime, we would be put away in an instant, without question. When
a cop commits a crime by violating the oath he took when he became a police
officer, however, he will not be subject to the same treatment by the law
that I would have been, instead, his buddies from the good ol' boys network
would cover his tracks and look the other way. This is a very disturbing
situation, becasue the case should be just the opposite; that is, a cop
should be held to the law even more so than me, the average citizen, because
it is he who has been designated to uphold the law, and it is therefore that
much more disgusting when he chooses to breach that law.
Where I live, a man named Reggie Bell, a homeless man owning nothing more
than the clothes on his back, was murdered by police officers in his jail
cell. Moreover, when my colleague went to the jailhouse to get a copy of
the jail cell security camera video taping of the incident, which he is
entitled to by the Freedom of Information Act, he was told that the tape had
"accidentally been burned" by a new intern, who was of course nowhere to be
found, along with the "burned tape". This was within 24 hours of the
incident. Needless to say, the police officers were acquitted of all
criminal charges.

Do you still think it is surprising that there are not more bad cops? I
highly doubt adding $25K a year to a crooked cops salary would make him
good. It's a matter of integrity and honor, things which have nothing to do
with money. Same goes for teachers and nurses.

Jim

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
John Gibbs <jo...@NOSPAM.stanford.edu> wrote in article
<6o2kjh$3v9$1...@msunews.cl.msu.edu>...

> It should be very odd that there are unworthy cops. Money should not be
> factor in a police officer performing his duty; he should do his job well
> regardless.

Ever had the opportunity to hire a cop?
A few years back, I went to my local police chief to tell him that
one his officers -- while he wasn't breaking any laws (to my knowledge)
was a total asshole when it came to interpersonal dealings with citizens.
Here's the police chief's point of view:

"The town gave me the funds to hire a new officer. I advertised
the position and six applicants without felony convictions were
up for final consideration.
Two had records for drunk driving; scratch two.
One had a record for beating his wife; scratch #3.
One was so stupid, his response to our hypothetical
question, "What would you do if a teenage
traffic offender called you a pig?" was to
look us all right in the eye and tell us,
"I'd smack the little bastard silly."
Scratch #4.
Both of the remaining applicants looked good but,
when they heard the salary we pay, they shook their
heads and departed. They have families to feed and
provide for; they're normal men and that comes first;
the salary we pay is less than they can earn at
less stressful jobs.

I needed a man because the force I have is overworked
even on holidays. I had the funds. I hired the asshole
and hope to God we can break him of his stupidity.
We're working on it. Thanks for coming in."

You want professional police officers? Pay professional wages. Offer
an applicant crap wages and you're likely to get a crappy officer. It's
not amazing that we get a few crappy cops, it's a miracle that the
vast majority are good.

I knew an excellent police sergeant in Madison, Maine who
resigned his sergeancy to take a job with a local factory, waving
delivery trucks and visitors through the gate. THAT job paid a
decent wage.

Quit crabbing from the sidelines and spouting platitudes.
Eat your goddamned platitudes. DO SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE!

Jim

John Gibbs

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98

Jim wrote in message <01bdac2d$d31ad9e0$86f2c6d0@default>...

I already said above that I believe teachers and cops should be paid more,
but I think you completely missed the point. My point was that a cop cannot
use his wages as an excuse for not doing the job correctly. If I were to
start acting up on my job, and then told my boss it was because I wasn't
getting paid enough, what do you think would happen? Nothing; I am still
expected to do my job right regardless, as are cops.

Yes, it's too bad that an "excellent" cop you know left; perhaps he should
have been paid more. However, when he was still a cop, I wouldn't accept it
if he mistreated me, or anyone, and then gave the excuse that he wasn't
getting paid enough. That doesn't cut it. So yes, it IS amazing that we
have crappy cops, and I would EXPECT the vast majority to be good; this is
their job, the oath they took; they owe the public nothing less.

And sorry, I don't find any platitudes in what I said.

Have a good weekend.

BTW, What do you consider constructive?

Jim

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
It's important to say what one means, otherwise your readers
won't understand and can't get your point.

Example:

>the community of Farmington Hills, for example, which is 3% white, 27% of
> the pull-overs were of afro-americans, based on the departments own data.

If only 3% of the population is white, why are whites 73% of
the people pulled over?

> And, these pull-overs are not justified because someone's statistic says
> that minorities commit more crimes.

The Department of Justice publishes statistics submitted by police.
In vierw of the fact that these figures show that black criminals
prey mostly on black victims, I'm at a loss to guess why so many
among the overwhelming majority of honest black people are so
quick to label the arrest of a black criminal as "racially motivated."

Another example of confusion:

> Secondly, provide evidence that people of color commit "more of those
crimes
> cops are trying to commit".

Cope are trying to commit the crimes?
You're a college student?

The key to effective debate is clarity in presenting one's views.

Jim

Jim

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98

John Gibbs <jo...@NOSPAM.stanford.edu> wrote in article

<6o5os8$lah$1...@msunews.cl.msu.edu>...

> I already said above that I believe teachers and cops should be paid
more,
> but I think you completely missed the point. My point was that a cop
cannot
> use his wages as an excuse for not doing the job correctly.

Of course not! And cops who misbehave should be dealt with
harshly because we place a special trust in police officers, and
when someone betrays a special trust he deserves a special
punishment.

That said, it does little good in the broad spectrum of this
problem to bitch about bad cops. Do something, dammit. If you see
a police officer do something wrong, report it and follow through.
Meanwhile, do something to prevent that problem from arising
with his replacement: have your local government offer police
salaries that will attract competent men and women to replace
the drones and dipshits who get fired for misconduct.
Quit bitching. Do something!
Nobody needs a whiner. You have a problem, solve it!

> Yes, it's too bad that an "excellent" cop you know left; perhaps he
should
> have been paid more.

Perhaps? What a wishy-washy statement.

However, when he was still a cop, I wouldn't accept it
> if he mistreated me, or anyone, and then gave the excuse that he wasn't
> getting paid enough.

Where did you get the absurd idea that I offered poor pay
as an excuse for misconduct? But I will and DO offer poor
salaries as an explanation for why we get unsuitable men
and women on the police departments. Chiefs have to
hire somebody and, if they're offering low incentive, they're
compelled to accept the "least bad" applicant....or nobody.
You can say you'd prefer nobody....til you need a cop.

>That doesn't cut it. So yes, it IS amazing that we
> have crappy cops, and I would EXPECT the vast majority to be good; this
is
> their job, the oath they took; they owe the public nothing less.
>
> And sorry, I don't find any platitudes in what I said.

Your preceeding paragraph is a platitude. If a man is not
suitable to become a police officer, you're a dope to think
he's going to honor what "he owes the public."
Avoid the problem: hire good men and women.
And you can't get all good men and women at crappy
wages. It's not the priesthood, even though many officers
enter the profession as if it were a holy calling. It's a job.
No organization gets the best employees for crap-wages
EXCEPT police departments, and I'll be damned if I know
how they succeed as well as they do.

> Have a good weekend.

I always do. You do the same.

Jim

P.S. Sorry if I seem to get carried away, but un-thinking criticism
by sideliners who use their mouth more than their muscle, those
who bitch...and nothing else -- this gets my goat.

Yatsu

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98

Jim <driv...@hotmail.com> wrote in article
<01bdac70$6ac5bb60$53cc5ad1@default>...

> It's important to say what one means, otherwise your readers
> won't understand and can't get your point.

It is important to use common sense, or else you won't be able to
understand anything in life.

> Example:
>
> >the community of Farmington Hills, for example, which is 3% white, 27%
of
> > the pull-overs were of afro-americans, based on the departments own
data.

> If only 3% of the population is white, why are whites 73% of
> the people pulled over?

I must have bene sleepy this day...what I obviously meant was 3% black.

> > And, these pull-overs are not justified because someone's statistic
says
> > that minorities commit more crimes.
>
> The Department of Justice publishes statistics submitted by police.
> In vierw of the fact that these figures show that black criminals
> prey mostly on black victims, I'm at a loss to guess why so many
> among the overwhelming majority of honest black people are so
> quick to label the arrest of a black criminal as "racially motivated."

Most blacks that are pulled over are not criminals. Most black criminals
are not apprehended via pull-overs. And what I will do is label the
mistreatement of an honest minorty by police officers "racially motivated",
with sufficient evidence. Obviously you do not know what it is like to
have this happen to you.

> Another example of confusion:
>
> > Secondly, provide evidence that people of color commit "more of those
> crimes
> > cops are trying to commit".

My mistake...typing error, I apologize. But if you couldn't extract from
this what I was trying to say, your common sense leaves something to be
desired.

Jim

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98

Yatsu <*ya...@nospam.geocities.com"> wrote in article
<01bdac87$6bb61760$8208...@gibbsjoh.user.msu.edu>...

> I must have bene sleepy this day...what I obviously meant was 3% black.

The only thing that's obvious is what you say.

> Most blacks that are pulled over are not criminals. Most black criminals
> are not apprehended via pull-overs. And what I will do is label the
> mistreatement of an honest minorty by police officers "racially
motivated",
> with sufficient evidence. Obviously you do not know what it is like to
> have this happen to you.

True, I'm not black, but I was once a teenager. And cops pull
over teenagers who have done nothing wrong. This has happened to me
many times -- I guess some cops didn't like the way I looked, or didn't
like my car.
Big deal!

> My mistake...typing error, I apologize. But if you couldn't extract from
> this what I was trying to say, your common sense leaves something to be
> desired.

You can't even write that brief message without screwing it up.
It's not an event that inspires confidence in your views. You sure you're
a college student?
Jim

Z Sydell

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
Jim wrote:
he only thing that's obvious is what you say.

> > Most blacks that are pulled over are not criminals. Most black criminals
> > are not apprehended via pull-overs. And what I will do is label the
> > mistreatement of an honest minorty by police officers "racially
> motivated",
> > with sufficient evidence. Obviously you do not know what it is like to
> > have this happen to you.

ok this has gone on for a while and i'll tell you why blacks get pulled
over in Farmington, Michigan. Its because a black man sticks out like a
green thumb in an affluent white neighborhood. Deal with it. If you
don't like it, too bad, thats the way it is, and don't try to pretend
that its unfair that because you're black and get 'rolled' a lot by the
cops that they are racist, they're just doing their job -protecting
their city against people that look suspicious. If you look that way
simply because you're black, then so be it.

--
Sgt. Erik Sydell
U.S. Patrol Div. 1