Don't Degrade the CIA

Larry-Jennie

Jun 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/22/96

In article <4qi8b4$k...@dub-news-svc-3.compuserve.com> <7116...@compuserve.com (A. Givens)> writes:

>The Central Intelligence Agency was formed by the National Security Act
>of 1947 and later the Central Intelligence Agency Act of 1949. Since that
>time, it has participated in a number of covert activities within its charter
>yet outside the principles of the U.S. Constitution. Most outstanding of these
>instances are the botched Bay of Pigs invasion of 1961, the raising of covert
>armies in Laos and Cambodia, and Project PHOENIX in Vietnam. However
>controversial these actions may seem to the people of the United States, I
>feel personally that the CIA is justified in its actions legally and morally.
>Furthermore, for one to criticize the Company is for one to criticize the
>United States itself.
>The majority of covert action undertaken by the Agency is done without
>knowledge of the American people or the President himself. It is, however,
>done in most cases with the knowledge of the Secretary of State, Secretary
>of Defense, National Security Advisor, and in some cases, the Director of
>Central
>Intelligence. Thus, the Agency complies with its charter, in that an executive
>body
>consents to the actions to be implemented. For all we know, it could be the
>President,
>although it isn't.
>Now, let us look at the flipside of these issues. What has CIA done for us?

>Colombia and Venezuela are currently putting out a little over one
>third of the world's cocaine. The Cali drug cartel of Colombia is infamous the
>world over,
>and was recently broken up around November of 1995 by the DEA. This put a big
>dent
>in the drug trade, with the help of the Company. CIA had people down there and
>with the supplementation of quality satellite image interpretation, CIA
>dissected
>the cartel and helped implement arrests. This was the situation in the Harrison
>Ford movie "Clear and Present Danger". Who's to say we could be sending
>some paramilitary types right now south of the border to burn coca fields?

I don't want to burst your bubble, but the CIA's history is deplorable
when it comes to drug trafficking. Consider the following from a
highly decorated DEA investigator with 3,000 arrests and 15,000
years of prison sentences due to his efforts.

"The Big White Lie: The CIA and the Cocaine/Crack Epidemic"
by Michael Levine.

By the evening of July 17 (1980), it was clear that the primary goal
of the revolution was the protection and control of Bolivia's
cocaine industry. All major drug traffickers in prison were
released, after which they joined the neo-Nazis in their rampage
(exiled Nazis like Klaus Barbie were killing civilians to
overthrow the Bolivian government). Government buildings were
invaded and trafficker files were either carried off or burned.
Government employees were tortured and shot, the women tied and
repeatedly raped by the paramilitaries and the freed traffickers.
The revolutionaries next turned to crushing the national strike.
(pg. 58)

Ostensibly to show the United States that the new government was
tough on drug dealers, but actually to eliminate competition and
streamline and improve cocaine production, Arce-Gomez drew up a
list of 140 small and midlevel drug dealers who were to be
suppressed (killed or jailed). This campaign, put in the hands
of the Fiances of Death, resulted in massive drug seizures.
Cocaine valued in the billions of dollars in the U.S. market was
stored in the Bolivian national bank vaults. (pg. 59-60)

The reports about the Cocaine Coup coming into DEA were mind-blowing,
particularly for five street agents stationed in Bolivia. Although
the DEA suits supposedly had no idea who Roberto Suarez was until
he was close to taking over the country, Suarez had a copy of each
of their personnel files, including intimate personal histories,
photos, and medical histories of their families. (pg.61)

Levine then talked to an Argentinian known as the "Doctor," someone
Levine considered the best source of information about the "overlapping
worlds of espionage and international crime," trying to sort out why
the CIA supported the Cocaine Coup:
The Doctor smiled politely again. "They (the Gasser family)
have been a behind-the-scenes power in Bolivia for many years. Have
you heard of the World Anti-Communist League?"
I (Levine) felt like a dunce. "No."
"This is an organization strongly supported by the CIA. The
elder Gasser -- the father of Jose, I think Erwin is his name -- is a
key member of this organization. Senor Gasser is also the man who
financed the 1971 coup putting General Banzer in power...this coup,
by the way, was strongly backed by the CIA. This was the beginning of
coaine's rise to prominence in the Bolivian economy."
"Yes," I said, trying not to look too stunned.
"So with the Gassers supporting this last coup, I would say
your...assumption...may have a certain amount of validity."
"That the CIA is behind it?" I said, my heart beating faster.
"Well, of course Argentina backed the coup to the hilt,
supported it, took part in it; we were the first to recognize the new
government; we are granting them emergency loans. We wouldn't have
done anything without at least some words of encouragement from your
government. As a matter of fact, we have information that a group of
10 of your private banks headed by Bank of America postponed Bolivia's
loan repayments, giving the new government a chance to consolidate its
power base and its new cocaine economy."
I felt like crying.
The Doctor continued. "And, of course, many of the same players
from the Banzer coup are involved in this one, including Herr (Klaus)
Barbie and General Banzer himself."
"Barbie?"
"Oh yes. You know who he is?"
I nodded.
"Well, in 1971 he used the name Klaus Altmann. He worked for
General Banzer as a security advisor -- in fact, he reorganized the
secret police. I believe he now has similar duties for Arce-Gomez."
I could think of nothing to say. "What this Bolivian is
saying can be very embarrassing to your country and mine," were
Mario's words. He had been ready to kill Hurtado. The Doctor
waited for me to speak.
"Why?" I finally asked.
"Why?" the Doctor looked puzzled.
"Why...why would the CIA back this?"
"Aside from the obvious and most probable -- that the newly
elected government was leftist -- I think I have an interesting
theory about an added incentive." He was smiling a Cheshire smile.
"You presidential elections are at the end of this year, true?"
"Yes."
"Well you know President Carter isn't very popular with
your associates."
"I don't get it." What I really meant was that I didn't
want to believe it. Most of the CIA agents I knew were passionate
in their anti-Carter sentiments. Carter and his CIA director,
Admiral Stansfield Turner, had reduced the agency's manpower
dramatically. I was not a great admirer of Carter, either.
I thought his drug policies were idiotic and bad for our country.
A statement by his drug policy adviser, Dr. Peter Bourne, that
cocaine was "the most benign" of the illicit drugs and the birth
of the term "recreational drug use" had gone a long way, I
thought, towards giving Americans license to indulge, and were
key factors contributing to the massive surge in demand for
cocaine and the disastrous effects on our nation that soon
followed. But to help drug dealers take over Bolivia to
defeat President Carter seemed bizarre.
"Sure," said the Doctor. "How popular is he going to
look with your people if he loses a whole country to drug dealers?"
"I don't buy it," I said.
The Doctor chuckled. "It's an interesting theory though,
isn't it?"
Was the Doctor's theory believable? Eleven years laer,
news of the "October Surprise" came out -- the allegation that
the CIA and the Reagan election committee conspired to delay
the release of American hostages in Iran to ensure Carter's
defeat in the 1980 elections. This was going on at exacatly
the time that the new-Nazis in Bolivia were on their rampage
of torture, rape, and murder. In addition, as I have learned,
Gasser, Suarez, and three other traffickers met with Arce-Gomez
and members of the Argentine and Bolivian military on June 17,
1980 to plan the coup, and a tape-recording of that meeting was
given to the CIA by one of the Argentines present. (pg.74-76)

The rest of the book details career troubles for trying to bust
CIA-supported drug smuggling and money-laundering involving
Bolivia, Panama and Mexico. He lost. The drug businessmen
and the spooks won.

>The ground we walk on, the sky we see, and the air we breathe in the U.S. are
>guarded
>one way or another by this organization. Anyone willing to criticize or degrade
>CIA better be willing to degrade these United States.

To stand silent while your country's intelligence agencies aid drug
smuggling is reprehensible. Criticizing criminal actions by CIA
operatives, who never face discipline, does not degrade the USA.
Without such valid criticism, our nation will cease as an open
democracy.

Larry

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
The CIA cocaine smuggling on behalf of the Contras
through Mena, Arkansas corrupted the Presidencies
of Bill Clinton, George Bush and Ronald Reagan.
For details, see:
ftp://pencil.cs.missouri.edu/pub/mena/
http://www.mixi.net/~feustel/
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

A. Givens

Jun 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/23/96

Tehran, the capital of Iran, is currently in a state of unrest. With human rights
abuses increasing and economic disparity growing, the people of Iran want
answers to their problems. Tehran, in turn, points the finger at the United States.
Consequently, Iran is currently financing Hizballah, the Lebanese terrorist party
responsible for the fighting 2 months ago in Northern Israel, with around $100
million a year.
Iran continues to pipe money from taxes into militarian development, and new
evidence suggests they are mounting a nuclear and chemical weapons program.
We would have virtually no knowledge of these things without CIA.

The trouble with Gaddafhi in Libya is big this time. An underground chemical
weapons plant bigger than 4 football fields is going to be completed in 2 years.
This means tons of mustard gas is produced daily. And there's the CIA, with
assets inside the contractor building the plant, snapping away photographs.
How would it feel to wake up half dead one morning because of all the mustard
gas in your air conditioning system? **The Agency is guarding the freedoms
U.S. citizens enjoy daily on an enormous basis.**

The decrepit conditions in Bosnia-Herzegovina are reminiscent of the Holocaust,
which for years we've tried to forget. With primary assistance of the National
Reconnaissance Office, the Central Imagery Office of the CIA was able to accurately
interpret images of the conditions in Bosnia. In turn, statistics were formed that
enabled policymakers to appeal to the U.N. to implement IFOR, which would return this
war-torn region to normalcy.

The ground we walk on, the sky we see, and the air we breathe in the U.S. are guarded
one way or another by this organization. Anyone willing to criticize or degrade
CIA better be willing to degrade these United States.

If anyone has any comments or questions on this article, feel free to
E-Mail me. In addition, if anyone has any information on the CIA, please share
it with me. Thank you.

--A. Givens
Age 13

Anna Marie Kuhns-Walko

Jun 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/23/96

In article <4qi8b4$k...@dub-news-svc-3.compuserve.com>,
7116...@compuserve.comA.Givens says...

Correction here - It is United States Military that defend this country not
the Central Intelligence Agency. The American people need not degrade the
Company they do a fine job all my themselves. AMKW

Lazlo Alexander Skaar (Pavel Krazny)

Jun 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/24/96

Well, lets discuss teh CIa dn their rights within there charter and
what they have done. First they answer to terh President and receive
orders from the President through the Director of Central
Intelligence. SO anythign that the CIA does is known by teh
president. Nwo the pres. can use this plausible deniability when it
comes to boched ops or when the CIa as tried assassination attempts
and they have tried assassination atempts and failed miserably in al
of them.

The CIA is a necessary agency int eh US intelligence community but it
is not the be all end all of intelligence. Actually most of their
intelligence gathering is less than superb. They have had wronmg
facts and intelligence on many mission that failed because of their
incompentance. Just ask SEAL and DELTA, and Sepc. Forces soldiers
about how well teh CIA does their job. I ahve spoken to some Spec
Force non coms and they try not to relyu heavily on their intelligence
when they can get their own from their branch of military intellignce

Degradint he CIA is what we are supposed to do, actually we are
suppose to question it and its existance. If we didn't they they
would break that one specific rule in their charter that prohibits
them frmo spying domestically. Now they probably already do. But
actually they don't have to because the FBI's secret police do that.

THe CIA is a good agency. But we as citizens ahve to control it. The
PResident only says something like , "get rid of him" and then lets
them do their thing.

regards

LS

Lisa Pease

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
Lazlo Alexander Skaar (Pavel Krazny) (drkk...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: Well, lets discuss teh CIa dn their rights within there charter and
: what they have done. First they answer to terh President and receive
: orders from the President through the Director of Central
: Intelligence. SO anythign that the CIA does is known by teh
: president.

But by the CIA's own admission this is not true.

Ever read the Inspector General's report on the Castro assassination plots?

Did you know the CIA, in their OWN report, meant originally solely for
internal consumption - this same Kennedy-hating CIA that killed him and
has been after his reputation ever since - ADMITTED THAT KENNEDY DID NOT
KNOW OF THE ASSASSINATION PLOTS at the time they were in place? They
told him they had ended them - but that was a lie.

Did you know that when Kennedy asked Allen Dulles - a man he did not
"appoint" so much as allow to remain the head of the CIA - for a report
on the CIA's activities in Indonesia - the CIA gave the president a
REDACTED version?

How can anyone say that the President or Congress oversee the CIA, when
no one can get the goods on what they are doing?

Secrecy is abolute power. No one can stop what they don't know.

In a democracy, this is unconscionable.

I have no problem with intelligence gathering. I do have a problem with
deception and the veil of "plausible deniability." If we have to deny it,
then why are we DOING it?

--
Lisa Pease
"It is in the interest of the U.S. people and of the people of the world,

Check out the Real History Archives:
http://www.webcom.com/lpease
Citizens for Truth about the Kennedy Assassination:
http://www.webcom.com/ctka

David Hathaway

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
>Lazlo Alexander Skaar (Pavel Krazny) (drkk...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
>: Well, lets discuss teh CIa dn their rights within there charter and
>: what they have done. First they answer to terh President and receive
>: orders from the President through the Director of Central
>: Intelligence. SO anythign that the CIA does is known by teh
>: president.

The CIA does surveillance ON the president (and plenty of other politicians
too!!) Especially under William Casey.

You obviously don't understand how things work!

Lisa Pease

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
7116...@compuserve.com(A.Givens) wrote:

: The Central Intelligence Agency was formed by the National Security Act

: of 1947 and later the Central Intelligence Agency Act of 1949. Since that
: time, it has participated in a number of covert activities within its charter
: yet outside the principles of the U.S. Constitution. Most outstanding of these
: instances are the botched Bay of Pigs invasion of 1961, the raising of covert
: armies in Laos and Cambodia, and Project PHOENIX in Vietnam. However
: controversial these actions may seem to the people of the United States, I
: feel personally that the CIA is justified in its actions legally and morally.
: Furthermore, for one to criticize the Company is for one to criticize the
: United States itself.

What propaganda.

When you criticize your child, are you criticizing your country? When you
criticize your barber, are you criticizing your country? When you
criticize your teacher, are you criticizing your country? When you
criticize an elected official (and there's a lot of that going around)
are you criticizing your country? When you criticize Allen Dulles, Jim
Angleton, Richard Helms, Howard Hunt, David Phillips, Bill Colby - NONE
of whom were EVER elected to office, are you criticizing your country?
How is it that you could criticize John Deutch when he was at MIT, but
suddenly he becomes uncriticizable when he heads the CIA?

Do you see how ludicrous that is?

Only sheer arrogance assumes that the CIA has a mandate from the people,
when Truman's hand was forced into accepting the loophole in the National
Security act which a largely compromised congress passed, is a mandate
from "the people."

Put it to a real vote sometime and hear what the people REALLY have to say.

Don't forget to include the votes of the people in the former democracies
where we have installed fascist dictators.

And don't ask the people who never read books, who bury their heads in
the sand, who say what I don't know isn't hurting me. Because THEY are
not being citizens, just denizens. Ask citizens what they think. Bring a
shield.

Christopher C. Lapp

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

The CIA is a 50 yearold snarling whore who everyone disparages, but
secretly they slap her on the ass and give her chocolates when she
does a particularly nice job.

--
"Come In Low, with the Sun at your back, and your guns on."