White House pissed. Bush speech (phonetics included) show up on UN website

Harry Hope

Sep 25, 2007, 3:13:53 PM9/25/07

From USA TODAY, 9/25/07:
http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/09/white-house-ups.html

White House upset over copy of Bush speech posted to U.N. website

Apparently, a marked-up draft of the president's speech popped up on
the U.N.'s website as President Bush delivered his remarks this
morning before the General Assembly, USA TODAY's David Jackson
reports.

The draft included phonetic spellings of some names and countries, and
the cellphone numbers for Bush speechwriters.

Press secretary Dana Perino downplayed the incident, and said phonetic
spellings are used to help interpreters.

Asked if the president has trouble pronouncing some country's names,
Perino deemed it "an offensive question."

"There was an error made," Perino said, noting it was not a final
draft.

"It was taken down and there's nothing more to say about it."

Update at 12:43 p.m. ET: Here's the version they replaced it with on
the U.N. website.
http://www.un.org/webcast/ga/62/2007/pdfs/usa-eng.pdf

Update at 12:46 p.m. ET: Blake Hounshell at Foreign Policy says he has
a copy of the speech that got the White House so worked up this
morning. http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/node/6408

Here are some of the phonetic guides it included, according to the
magazine's blog:

• Kyrgyzstan [KEYR-geez-stan]
• Mauritania [moor-EH-tain-ee-a]
• Harare [hah-RAR-ray]
• Mugabe [moo-GAH-bee]
• Sarkozy [sar-KO-zee]
• Caracas [kah-RAH-kus]

Update at 2:33 p.m. ET: Here's an excerpt from the press secretary's
exchange with reporters about the speech snafu.

It was released by the White House.

PERINO: On the speech -- your question about the speech, the drafts
are circulated, and there was an error made in trying to make sure
that interpreters had what they needed. I don't know how the draft of
the speech -- it was not final -- was posted, but it was, and it was
taken down. There's really nothing more to say about it.

REPORTER: And they were phonetic spellings of various countries -- as
well, we understand.

PERINO: That's not unusual. We do that for many speeches.

REPORTER: Does the president have a hard time pronouncing some of
these countries's [sic] name?

PERINO: I think that's a offensive question. I'm going to just
decline to comment on it.

heh heh

Harry

Mike Epper

Sep 25, 2007, 3:22:33 PM9/25/07

"Harry Hope" <riv...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> From USA TODAY, 9/25/07:
> http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/09/white-house-ups.html
>
> White House upset over copy of Bush speech posted to U.N. website
>
> Apparently, a marked-up draft of the president's speech popped up on
> the U.N.'s website as President Bush delivered his remarks this
> morning before the General Assembly, USA TODAY's David Jackson
> reports.
>
> The draft included phonetic spellings of some names and countries, and
> the cellphone numbers for Bush speechwriters.
>
> Press secretary Dana Perino downplayed the incident, and said phonetic
> spellings are used to help interpreters.
>
> Asked if the president has trouble pronouncing some country's names,
> Perino deemed it "an offensive question."
>
> "There was an error made," Perino said, noting it was not a final
> draft.
>
> "It was taken down and there's nothing more to say about it."
>
> Update at 12:43 p.m. ET: Here's the version they replaced it with on
> the U.N. website.
> http://www.un.org/webcast/ga/62/2007/pdfs/usa-eng.pdf
>
> Update at 12:46 p.m. ET: Blake Hounshell at Foreign Policy says he has
> a copy of the speech that got the White House so worked up this
> morning. http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/node/6408
>
> Here are some of the phonetic guides it included, according to the
> magazine's blog:
>
> . Kyrgyzstan [KEYR-geez-stan]
> . Mauritania [moor-EH-tain-ee-a]
> . Harare [hah-RAR-ray]
> . Mugabe [moo-GAH-bee]
> . Sarkozy [sar-KO-zee]
> . Caracas [kah-RAH-kus]

> Update at 2:33 p.m. ET: Here's an excerpt from the press secretary's
> exchange with reporters about the speech snafu.
>
> It was released by the White House.
>
> PERINO: On the speech -- your question about the speech, the drafts
> are circulated, and there was an error made in trying to make sure
> that interpreters had what they needed. I don't know how the draft of
> the speech -- it was not final -- was posted, but it was, and it was
> taken down. There's really nothing more to say about it.
>
> REPORTER: And they were phonetic spellings of various countries -- as
> well, we understand.
>
> PERINO: That's not unusual. We do that for many speeches.
>
> REPORTER: Does the president have a hard time pronouncing some of
> these countries's [sic] name?
>
> PERINO: I think that's a offensive question. I'm going to just
> decline to comment on it.

The offensive part is that the question is 100% valid in the case of this
moron.

El Tico

Sep 25, 2007, 3:52:35 PM9/25/07
On Sep 25, 1:13 pm, Harry Hope <riv...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> From USA TODAY, 9/25/07:http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/09/white-house-ups.html
>
> White House upset over copy of Bush speech posted to U.N. website
>
> Apparently, a marked-up draft of the president's speech popped up on
> the U.N.'s website as President Bush delivered his remarks this
> morning before the General Assembly, USA TODAY's David Jackson
> reports.
>
> The draft included phonetic spellings of some names and countries, and
> the cellphone numbers for Bush speechwriters.
>
> Press secretary Dana Perino downplayed the incident, and said phonetic
> spellings are used to help interpreters.

[snip]

Phonetic spellings of English are used to help interpreters? What a
load of bullshit. Or is it because Bush's pronunciations are
impossible to understand in any language? Perino is as big a lying
sack of shit as her predecessors.

BUSH 'Owns' Iraqi War

Sep 25, 2007, 3:52:30 PM9/25/07

"Harry Hope" <riv...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> From USA TODAY, 9/25/07:
> http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/09/white-house-ups.html
>
> White House upset over copy of Bush speech posted to U.N. website
>
> Apparently, a marked-up draft of the president's speech popped up on
> the U.N.'s website as President Bush delivered his remarks this
> morning before the General Assembly, USA TODAY's David Jackson
> reports.
>
> The draft included phonetic spellings of some names and countries, and
> the cellphone numbers for Bush speechwriters.
>
> Press secretary Dana Perino downplayed the incident, and said phonetic
> spellings are used to help interpreters.
>
> Asked if the president has trouble pronouncing some country's names,
> Perino deemed it "an offensive question."
>
> "There was an error made," Perino said, noting it was not a final
> draft.
>
> "It was taken down and there's nothing more to say about it."
>
> Update at 12:43 p.m. ET: Here's the version they replaced it with on
> the U.N. website.
> http://www.un.org/webcast/ga/62/2007/pdfs/usa-eng.pdf
>
> Update at 12:46 p.m. ET: Blake Hounshell at Foreign Policy says he has
> a copy of the speech that got the White House so worked up this
> morning. http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/node/6408
>
> Here are some of the phonetic guides it included, according to the
> magazine's blog:
>
> . Kyrgyzstan [KEYR-geez-stan]
> . Mauritania [moor-EH-tain-ee-a]
> . Harare [hah-RAR-ray]
> . Mugabe [moo-GAH-bee]
> . Sarkozy [sar-KO-zee]
> . Caracas [kah-RAH-kus]

> Update at 2:33 p.m. ET: Here's an excerpt from the press secretary's
> exchange with reporters about the speech snafu.
>
> It was released by the White House.
>
> PERINO: On the speech -- your question about the speech, the drafts
> are circulated, and there was an error made in trying to make sure
> that interpreters had what they needed. I don't know how the draft of
> the speech -- it was not final -- was posted, but it was, and it was
> taken down. There's really nothing more to say about it.
>
> REPORTER: And they were phonetic spellings of various countries -- as
> well, we understand.
>
> PERINO: That's not unusual. We do that for many speeches.
>
> REPORTER: Does the president have a hard time pronouncing some of
> these countries's [sic] name?
>
> PERINO: I think that's a offensive question. I'm going to just
> decline to comment on it.

> heh heh
>
> Harry

Bush was there to compete with Rush, O'Reilly and Hannity for a shot to suck
Ahmadinejad's massive dick.

I can see the newspaper ad now.

WANTED: Iranian to translate Bush's speech to the American people and also
needed to mediate dialogue between Fox news pundits and Iranian president.
Must have own defibrillator, crack pipe, assless chaps and kevlar vest.

Joe S.

Sep 25, 2007, 4:23:36 PM9/25/07

"Harry Hope" <riv...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> From USA TODAY, 9/25/07:
> http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/09/white-house-ups.html
>
> White House upset over copy of Bush speech posted to U.N. website
>
> Apparently, a marked-up draft of the president's speech popped up on
> the U.N.'s website as President Bush delivered his remarks this
> morning before the General Assembly, USA TODAY's David Jackson
> reports.
>
> The draft included phonetic spellings of some names and countries, and
> the cellphone numbers for Bush speechwriters.
>
> Press secretary Dana Perino downplayed the incident, and said phonetic
> spellings are used to help interpreters.
>
> Asked if the president has trouble pronouncing some country's names,
> Perino deemed it "an offensive question."
>
> "There was an error made," Perino said, noting it was not a final
> draft.
>
> "It was taken down and there's nothing more to say about it."
>
> Update at 12:43 p.m. ET: Here's the version they replaced it with on
> the U.N. website.
> http://www.un.org/webcast/ga/62/2007/pdfs/usa-eng.pdf
>
> Update at 12:46 p.m. ET: Blake Hounshell at Foreign Policy says he has
> a copy of the speech that got the White House so worked up this
> morning. http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/node/6408
>
> Here are some of the phonetic guides it included, according to the
> magazine's blog:
>
> . Kyrgyzstan [KEYR-geez-stan]
> . Mauritania [moor-EH-tain-ee-a]
> . Harare [hah-RAR-ray]
> . Mugabe [moo-GAH-bee]
> . Sarkozy [sar-KO-zee]
> . Caracas [kah-RAH-kus]

> Update at 2:33 p.m. ET: Here's an excerpt from the press secretary's
> exchange with reporters about the speech snafu.
>
> It was released by the White House.
>
> PERINO: On the speech -- your question about the speech, the drafts
> are circulated, and there was an error made in trying to make sure
> that interpreters had what they needed. I don't know how the draft of
> the speech -- it was not final -- was posted, but it was, and it was
> taken down. There's really nothing more to say about it.
>
> REPORTER: And they were phonetic spellings of various countries -- as
> well, we understand.
>
> PERINO: That's not unusual. We do that for many speeches.
>
> REPORTER: Does the president have a hard time pronouncing some of
> these countries's [sic] name?
>
> PERINO: I think that's a offensive question. I'm going to just
> decline to comment on it.

> heh heh
>
> Harry

There were several other pronunciation guides that this article did not
list:

Iraq is a fiasco. [ Thuh surj IS work-in. ]

Petreaus's report was bullshit. [ Thuh surj IS work-in. ]

We will bomb Iran before my term is up. [ Thuh surj IS work-in. ]

I am a lying sack of shit. [ Thuh surj IS work-in. ]