France suspends migrant deal with Italy over boat row

zinn

Nov 11, 2022, 3:53:38 AM11/11/22
France has suspended a plan to take in 3,500 refugees currently in Italy
after Rome refused to let a migrant rescue ship disembark on its shores.

Tensions between the two neighbours have escalated since Italy's new
government barred the Ocean Viking ship from docking with 230 migrants.

France has denounced the "unacceptable behaviour", but Italy insists it
has been taking in its share of migrants.

The boat will be allowed to dock on Friday in the French port of Toulon.

The charity that runs the vessel, SOS Méditerranée, said it was both
relieved by the French decision and angry that for three weeks those on
board had been let down by Europe's "dramatic failure".

French Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin warned of "extremely severe
consequences for our bilateral relations" with Italy. For a start, France
would not take in 3,500 refugees it had earlier agreed with Italy to
accept in protest at Rome's actions. He also said France would take
measures to strengthen controls on the border with Italy.

His Italian counterpart, Matteo Piantedosi, later hit back - saying his
neighbour's actions were "totally incomprehensible" as Italy had taken in
some 90,000 migrants this year alone. He questioned "why Italy should
willingly accept something that others are not willing to accept".

Italy's right-wing government came to power last month under Giorgia
Meloni, who before she became prime minister vowed to blockade migrant
boats trying to leave North Africa for Italy.

Who is responsible for helping migrants at sea?
The Ocean Viking was one of four charity ships that sailed for Italy with
a total of more than 500 migrants rescued in the Mediterranean.

Those on board the other three ships were eventually allowed to disembark
at Italian ports, but only after initial refusals. At one point three of
those on board the Geo Barents rescue boat leapt into the water to reach
land.

Ocean Viking was denied entry into port and SOS Méditerranée said its 43
requests to Italian authorities met with no response.

It sailed on towards Corsica and four people on board were airlifted to
hospital on Thursday morning. SOS Méditerranée, cited by AFP, said one of
the migrants on the ship was in an unstable condition and had not reacted
to treatment since late October.

The French interior minister then announced the others would be allowed to
leave the ship at the naval base in Toulon on an "exceptional" basis.

A third of passengers would be "relocated" to France, he said, while
another third would be sent to Germany and the others shared out between
EU member states.

He went on to criticise Rome's "reprehensible" attitude and stressed the
migrants had been picked up in Italy's search-and-rescue zone in the
Mediterranean.

The European Commission said on Wednesday that the ship should be able to
immediately disembark at the nearest place of safety.

In a statement, it did not mention Italy or France by name, but said there
was a "clear and unequivocal" legal obligation to rescue distressed
persons at sea.

French far-right leader Marine Le Pen reacted angrily to France's decision
to allow the Ocean Viking to disembark in Toulon, accusing President
Emmanuel Macron of a dramatic show of lenience towards "massive and
anarchic immigration".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63582122

Hisler

Nov 11, 2022, 9:22:43 AM11/11/22
On 11/11/2022 1:53 AM, zinn wrote:
> The European Commission said on Wednesday that the ship should be able to
> immediately disembark at the nearest place of safety.
>
> In a statement, it did not mention Italy or France by name, but said there
> was a "clear and unequivocal" legal obligation to rescue distressed
> persons at sea.
>
> French far-right leader Marine Le Pen reacted angrily to France's decision
> to allow the Ocean Viking to disembark in Toulon, accusing President
> Emmanuel Macron of a dramatic show of lenience towards "massive and
> anarchic immigration".

Italians understand that when they have received 90,000 "distressed
persons at sea" in the period of 12 months that agreements and laws that
were meant to deal with the rare and occasional vessel in distress are
being abused by human smugglers and NGO's (that likely profit from the
human smuggling). Nations are not obligated to take in economic
migrants who display such reckless stupidity that they leave AFrica
knowing that the inflatable rafts they are on are intended to place them
in harms way often leading to drowning.
--
"Build Back Better means Destroy More Quickly."

"Title 8, U.S.C. § 1324(a) defines several distinct offenses related to
aliens. Subsection 1324(a)(1)(i)-(v) prohibits alien smuggling, domestic
transportation of unauthorized aliens, concealing or harboring
unauthorized aliens, encouraging or inducing unauthorized aliens to
enter the United States, and engaging in a conspiracy or aiding and
abetting any of the preceding acts. Subsection 1324(a)(2) prohibits
bringing or attempting to bring unauthorized aliens to the United States
in any manner whatsoever, even at a designated port of entry. Subsection
1324(a)(3)."

"We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter
fraud organization in the history of American politics." -Joe Biden

"C'mon man! If you didn't vote for me , you ain't black ." Joe Biden -

"Poor children can be just as smart as White children." -- Joe Biden

“The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous.
Hierarchical society is only possible on the basis of poverty and
ignorance.” - George Orwell

https://www.globalgulag.us