Iconic Business Declares Portland 'Unsafe' City and Accidentally Outs Biden's Open-Border Insanity

Hisler

Nov 25, 2022, 6:40:47 PM11/25/22

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/victoria-taft/2022/11/24/iconic-business-declares-portland-unsafe-city-and-accidentally-outs-bidens-open-border-insanity-n1648423

Leaders of a successful Portland start-up ice cream
purveyor-turned-national chain say they “can’t stay here” because it’s
so unsafe. Chalk up another one. So I guess it’s now safe to talk about
Portland, Oregon’s horrible leadership and how much Mayor Ted Wheeler
and other Leftist leaders have let the place go. And the business
inadvertently has done one more thing: condemned the Biden
administration’s open-border insanity. Read on.

Portland shows us what happens when Leftist ideology meets the real
world. Leaders of this city for years have ridden the coattails of the
legacy written by pioneering business leaders and others visionaries.
Instead of encouraging business and doing the fundamentals — such as
keeping the damned place safe — that pay the bills, McKinsey-type
leaders, thinking they knew it all, plugged in the “consulting class”
playbook, ignored the city’s foundations, and began to remake the quaint
city into their image. They fangirled over national leaders who did the
same destructive stuff on a national scale.

And here we are with dystopia. And not just run-of-the-mill dystopia,
but expensive dystopia.

Oh, sure, the city’s still naturally beautiful. I grew up in Portland
and spent many years there working on the radio and raising my kids. Now
my kids have bailed. I lived near Forest Park on my last stint there.
I’ve enjoyed skiing in Oregon’s mountains, splashing in the cold
Pacific, and picking blueberries on the local farm. But, as Donald Trump
might have said, this place has turned into a sh*thole.

I grew up near Laurelhurst Park, which was fashioned after New York’s
Central Park. My mom and dad were thrilled. They fixed up a run-down
1914 saltbox home and that’s where we lived–one bathroom, five people,
and an old milk chute where milkmen would leave the day’s offerings in
older times. When we lived there, the milk chute was used to sneak in
and out of the house. The fuse box was a constant concern. “Don’t use
the hair dryer in the bathroom, you’ll blow…”– oops, too late. The fuse
was blown. But it was so much nicer than a cracker box, post-World War
II in outer Southeast Portland, where we moved from.

In our “new” house, we’d play in Laurelhurst Park and sometimes would
walk through it with my neighbors on our way to school. Now, under the
city’s current leadership, Laurelhurst Park is unsafe to be in due to
the tent cities and drug addicts populating it.

After engaging in civic dalliances, majoring in minors, and wresting
capital from taxpayers to engage in embroidering the city to resemble
dystopia, actual visionaries are bailing. Or thinking about it.

This brings us to Salt and Straw. The Portland founder of the delightful
ice cream shop often sees lines down the street. When Joe Biden came to
town and got a Baskin-Robbins ice cream cone, Portland wags announced
that he’d gone to the “wrong” ice cream store. He should have gone to
Salt and Straw, of course!

The place has really grown. It’s branched out from its multiple
locations in Portland to the trendiest locations in L.A., Eugene,
Seattle, San Diego, Nancy Pelosi’s neighborhood in Pacific Heights,
Silicon Valley, Anaheim, Sacramento, Orlando, and Miami. No wonder Duane
“The Rock” Johnson wanted a piece of the business.

But unlike Portland leaders, business owners know that you’ve got to
have firm fundamentals in place to thrive. And now, the ice cream moguls
who run Salt and Straw say they can’t stay in Portland unless employees
at the headquarters feel safe. If you’re at all unclear, besides pubic
solvency, public safety is a city’s number one fundamental task.
Portland has failed spectacularly.

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler has protested with Antifa and BLM rioters,
blamed police for the wrongs committed by coddled anarchists, and done
nothing until recently about the drugged-out bums lining Portland’s
sidewalks and living in tents and run-down RVs along its roads. Wheeler
has turned the City of Roses into a portrait of dystopia. The state has
given its blessing to the right to keep “personal use” amounts of hard
drugs, the city is a sanctuary city for illegal aliens, and the
immigration facility is a frequent target of Antifa arsonists.

Wheeler and his Leftist cohorts have condemned ICE and thrown their lot
in with the anarchists.

And now Salt and Straw has noticed.

The co-founder of the business, Kim Malek, told The Oregonian that “if
we can’t make it safe, I can’t stay here. It’s just not responsible of
me to put my team in that position.”

The paper reported that this week “a fire in an RV parked at Southeast
3rd Avenue and Ash Street near the company’s headquarters and kitchen
shut down power to Salt & Straw and several other businesses after the
blaze brought down a transformer.” A fire in an RV parked randomly in
Portland and likely filled with addicted drug cookers.

You can imagine how hard it is for a Portland business owner to make
such a statement, knowing how the Left’s marauding bands of Antifa
anarchists and screeching BLM activists may target her business. So you
can safely assume things are far worse. And, of course, they are. A
friend of the business, Thomas Lauderdale, of another iconic Portland
institution, the band “Pink Martini,” wrote to city and county leaders
that “someone recently pointed a gun at the head of a Salt & Straw
employee.”

And here’s where things get far more interesting. And it’s where the
Left is finally getting unintentionally wise about border security,
though they won’t readily admit this.

Malek, who founded the company in Portland with her cousin Tyler Malek,
said she would prefer to find a solution by working with elected
leaders. “It’s really hard for a lot of people right now,” she said.
“I’m not here to point fingers. I want to be part of the solution.”

She’s especially interested in helping to cut off the supply of drugs
into Portland that she sees fueling crime, she said. “We intend to work
through this,” she said. “I cannot stay here if we don’t.” [emphasis added]

Ah, yes, the supply of drugs. And where do you suppose those drugs are
coming from, Lefties?

Lauderdale wrote, “their lease is up in April, and although it will cost
them millions and millions to relocate, they are at a breaking point,
and are planning to move out of state.” He added, “this is less a
homeless issue; it is a health and public safety and drug issue. The
schizophrenia we’re seeing, the violence, the fires … this is
drug-fueled, and it needs to be addressed immediately.”

When Oregon and other states wanted to target methamphetamines,
legislators passed a law outlawing the open sale of pseudoephedrine,
which backyard drug alchemists would turn into meth. The Mexican cartel
drug labs picked up the slack. They filled the orders using cheap
Chinese-supplied fentanyl to cut into the street drugs.

Now let’s add another data point. How do you think those drugs get into
the U.S., Lefties? Balloons? Slingshots? Tunnels? All of the above and …
human traffickers.

The waves of illegal aliens brought over by the cartels and other
coyotes fulfill part of their obligation by carrying drugs and
trafficking their women and children.

Recently I spoke with a San Francisco-based reporter about the homeless
issue there. During our conversation (on my “Adult in the Room”
podcast), I mentioned to her that she must be in favor of closing the
borders then. Slightly confused, she asked me why. And I told her what
I’m telling you. She was shocked but said it made sense.

And that’s why you have RVs lined up along Portland streets with people
living their drugged-up lives, collecting their government checks, and
using that money to cook their food and drugs and start fires.

“We would consider all options,” Salt and Straw’s Malek told The
Oregonian. “We don’t have concrete plans. But our intention is to be at
the table working with the city and county to find a solution and not
move. Portland is part of the soul of our company. We love this city.
This is about having a safe place for our team to work.”

She’d better make plans to go to a place that doesn’t offer such a
fertile ground for lawlessness.
--
"Build Back Better means Destroy More Quickly."

"Title 8, U.S.C. § 1324(a) defines several distinct offenses related to
aliens. Subsection 1324(a)(1)(i)-(v) prohibits alien smuggling, domestic
transportation of unauthorized aliens, concealing or harboring
unauthorized aliens, encouraging or inducing unauthorized aliens to
enter the United States, and engaging in a conspiracy or aiding and
abetting any of the preceding acts. Subsection 1324(a)(2) prohibits
bringing or attempting to bring unauthorized aliens to the United States
in any manner whatsoever, even at a designated port of entry. Subsection
1324(a)(3)."

"We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter
fraud organization in the history of American politics." -Joe Biden

"C'mon man! If you didn't vote for me , you ain't black ." Joe Biden -

"Poor children can be just as smart as White children." -- Joe Biden

“The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous.
Hierarchical society is only possible on the basis of poverty and
ignorance.” - George Orwell

https://www.globalgulag.us

26C.Z969

Nov 25, 2022, 11:42:30 PM11/25/22
Ice cream ??? The REAL money-makers will have to split
before Oregon "gets it" ....

Hisler

Nov 27, 2022, 2:31:36 PM11/27/22
On 11/25/2022 9:42 PM, 26C.Z969 wrote:
> Ice cream ??? The REAL money-makers will have to split
> before Oregon "gets it" ....

Then it will be too late. Once a city becomes like Baltimore, Flint,
Michigan or Jackson, Mississippi -- it doesn't matter if the so-called
movers and shakers "get it."

Austin, Texas; Denver and Boulder, Colorado have the ACLU on their backs
to cater to the street drug users and and welcome Biden's "refugees",
which anyone with a long term view of things can figure out will turn
these cities into the next crime plagued shit hole cities.