Coalition of Georgia voting rights groups won't attend Biden's speech in Atlanta

buh buh biden

Jan 13, 2022, 3:38:22 AMJan 13
(CNN)A coalition of voting rights groups in Georgia announced Monday that
they will not attend events surrounding President Joe Biden's expected
visit to Atlanta, urging for concrete action instead of what they called a
"photo op."

Cliff Albright, co-founder of Black Voters Matter, and representatives of
several voting rights groups urged Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris
to remain in Washington on Tuesday if they don't have a clear plan to
advance voting rights legislation. Some of the groups that urged Biden to
skip his Atlanta trip are the Asian American Advocacy Fund, GALEO Impact
Fund Inc. and New Georgia Project Action Fund.

"We don't need even more photo ops. We need action, and that action is in
the form of the John Lewis Voting Rights (Advancement) Act as well as the
Freedom to Vote Act, and we need that immediately," Albright told
reporters on Monday.

Several major civil rights leaders are scheduled to attend Biden and
Harris' speeches in Atlanta on Tuesday, including the Rev. Jesse Jackson
and the Rev. Al Sharpton. Marc Morial, the president of the National Urban
League; Derrick Johnson, the head of the NAACP; Melanie Campbell, the
chief executive of the National Coalition on Black Civic Participation and
many other civil rights and voting rights leaders will also be attending.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/10/politics/georgia-voting-rights-advocates-
biden-visit/index.html